Airdrieonians vs Cove Rangers - Playoff Semi

3 minutes ago, Utter Roaster said:

Funnily enough, I can't recall the last time I got lamb at a takeaway either. Bit spur of the minute this time, but was well worth it. Been having a go at making my own over the last 6 months - trying to replicate the BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style rather than homestyle following tips on Latif's Inspired and Al's Kitchen youtube channels. A bit of extra work but a couple of them have been belters.

My culinary skills are just in making soup. Good to see other guys having a go. Best wishes

Stats aren't worth much / nothing at all but looking at BBC sport website I struggled to believe Airdrie had no shots on target the whole game.

Not many times you get a point with no shots on target! 

Screenshot_20210508-194928.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

I was thinking IF Cove were to go up, it's a big IF and getting ahead of myself but it's possible, how many players we'd need to bring in to compete well (mid table at least) in the Championship. There would naturally be a lot of changes I suspect with loan players going back and fringe players leaving.

For me we'd need;

Quality Striker (Replacement for Rory - L1 is his level at his age)

Right Winger (Competition or replacement for Yule who could play centre mid)

Left Winger (Competition or replacement of Masson)

Attacking centre Mid (a Declan Glass type)

Centre back (seasoned and experienced at Championship level)

I think McKenzie, Harry Milne, Scott Ross*, Fyvie, Yule, Mitch and Masson* could compete comfortable at that new level.

How about Airdrie? Feel you'd need many changes to your L1 best starting 11?

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Was fairly even throughout. 2nd half was stretched and a few more chances made. The wind made it difficult for Airdrie to get out.

It's now got a cup final feel. With no crowds and it poised evenly at 1-1 I'm not sure how valuable home advantage will be. The first goal on Tuesday will be huge. 

Mitch is now due a goal as he hasn't scored in his last 2 games.

I say this with no disrespect intended to Montrose or Morton - especially Montrose, who I’ve always been impressed with since they came into L1 - but I always felt Cove would be our toughest obstacle to promotion via the playoffs. I think today, and our most recent contests, just cements that for me and I expect Tuesday to follow the same pattern.

It’ll in no way be a sure thing, but whoever gets through out of ourselves will really fancy their chances of going all the way.

On your other point on what we’d need to strengthen IF we were promoted, this is my view...

GK - Currie deserves a crack at that level I feel, but would like an experienced backup.

DF - Not sure how many would agree with me, but we may not be bad here. CB wise, I think Fordyce, Crighton and Kerr could hack it a level up, but I wouldn’t say no to a fourth. I think we’ll be able to keep Leon McCann if we’re promoted, but we don’t have a RB, bar young Walker.

MF - The area we’d need most strengthening, even if we don’t get promoted. We’ve got no chance of keeping Turner and Paton will be gone - with Sabbatini returning to Dnipro and Ritchie back to Hearts we’ll need at least two CMs. We’ve got P.McKay who can play there, but he’s a utility player at best. In the wide areas, Robert will be gone and, as much as I like Thommo and O’Reilly, I think they’d only be good enough as backup, so need additions there.

ATT - We’ve got Gal, Roy and Carrick - neither of whom I’d be opposed to keeping. That said, Carrick is used less as a striker these days and   Roy/Gal are unlikely to be prolific enough at that level. Connell may be available if he’s released by Killie but again, he’s maybe still a bit too raw to rely on. For me, we’d probably need two strikers.

To sum up, we’d need a fair bit of work to be competitive up there, i.e. not being cannon fodder and battling automatic relegation all season. Maybe 8-10 players all in?

Long way to go before we can consider that seriously though!!!

50 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Stats aren't worth much / nothing at all but looking at BBC sport website I struggled to believe Airdrie had no shots on target the whole game.

Not many times you get a point with no shots on target! 

Screenshot_20210508-194928.jpg

Yes and when the ball goes in the net that's a shot on target for me. Not like the BBC( I presume) to skew the story-just a wee dig  so apology if anyone takes offence..

40 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

I say this with no disrespect intended to Montrose or Morton - especially Montrose, who I’ve always been impressed with since they came into L1 - but I always felt Cove would be our toughest obstacle to promotion via the playoffs. I think today, and our most recent contests, just cements that for me and I expect Tuesday to follow the same pattern.

It’ll in no way be a sure thing, but whoever gets through out of ourselves will really fancy their chances of going all the way.

On your other point on what we’d need to strengthen IF we were promoted, this is my view...

GK - Currie deserves a crack at that level I feel, but would like an experienced backup.

DF - Not sure how many would agree with me, but we may not be bad here. CB wise, I think Fordyce, Crighton and Kerr could hack it a level up, but I wouldn’t say no to a fourth. I think we’ll be able to keep Leon McCann if we’re promoted, but we don’t have a RB, bar young Walker.

MF - The area we’d need most strengthening, even if we don’t get promoted. We’ve got no chance of keeping Turner and Paton will be gone - with Sabbatini returning to Dnipro and Ritchie back to Hearts we’ll need at least two CMs. We’ve got P.McKay who can play there, but he’s a utility player at best. In the wide areas, Robert will be gone and, as much as I like Thommo and O’Reilly, I think they’d only be good enough as backup, so need additions there.

ATT - We’ve got Gal, Roy and Carrick - neither of whom I’d be opposed to keeping. That said, Carrick is used less as a striker these days and   Roy/Gal are unlikely to be prolific enough at that level. Connell may be available if he’s released by Killie but again, he’s maybe still a bit too raw to rely on. For me, we’d probably need two strikers.

To sum up, we’d need a fair bit of work to be competitive up there, i.e. not being cannon fodder and battling automatic relegation all season. Maybe 8-10 players all in?

Big overhaul and busy summer then! Sure we'd be the same too. Would, hopefully, attract a higher calibre of player and be looking to strengthen in the key areas and have backup. 

The rise of 3 straight promotions would be astonishing and  bring challenges. For us, one big decision would be if we go full time or hybrid. Our stadium would need investment too

Like you say, long way to go before that's a reality. Do feel the winner of Cove or Airdrie would feel they could have a real chance in the playoff final. I say that if Mitch plays, if he's out for whatever reason our chance of promotion would dip considerably

Really interesting to read views on their potential in the championship. I'm not sure how current as the quality in the championship and premier changes season to season, but I think you are doing yourselves/your teams a disservice. Most seasons it5about strengthening the depth of the squad cos, just my opinion, there is not much between the lower teams in the championship and the top 6 to 7 in L1 which is why I support increasing the championship and reducing the number of games with a premier type split.

I'd be confident you would hold your own with the players you have, add a few for depth and will challenge comfortably. Neither airdrie, cove nor Montrose for that matter, as they showed yesterday, need fear Morton or the championship when you get there. As a neutral I'm looking forward to the 2nd legs.

15 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

All to play for 2nd leg. I believe Cove have only won 3 away games all season in the league? Whilst our home form has been great over the last month. So hopefully that plays a part on Tuesday night ♦️

Our away record in the league is;

3 wins

3 losses

5 draws

The 3 defeats were all 1-0 against Falkirk, Dumbarton and Montrose. 

Falkirk we didn't perform and they deserved the win.

Dumbarton we were without Mitch or Rory that day and squandered chance after chance. Dabrowski, what a keeper, was truly excellent.

Montrose we lost to a Fyvie own goal when we looked in control for the vast majority of the game.

Still 3 losses and the 3 wins.

Not sure what the current mix is of full time/part time/hybrid for clubs in the championship but if (and it's a huge if) we went up, I'd be keen to keep at least some part timers. I think it's been proven beyond all doubt that the best part timers are always substantially better than bottom tier full timers. Morton this season being a prime example of this.

12 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Not sure what the current mix is of full time/part time/hybrid for clubs in the championship but if (and it's a huge if) we went up, I'd be keen to keep at least some part timers. I think it's been proven beyond all doubt that the best part timers are always substantially better than bottom tier full timers. Morton this season being a prime example of this.

Whatever league Airdrie end up in ,  a massive rebuilding job required for whatever league we will be in..

Robert, Stokes, McNeill,Mbayo, Sabatini,  Turner, Paton, Connel , J McKayand probably youths Burke, Moore and Hughes.

All of the above will be gone with others McCann and Kerr getting interest elsewhere and that is if the rest sign and also to decide Ian Murray's future, , massive short summer ahead for the diamonds, with pre season starting back for most teams in 6 weeks.

On 08/05/2021 at 20:31, thediamonddude said:

I would agree with most of your comments. Crighton is an interesting one. He's won promotion out of this league three (?) times with Morton, Livingston and Brechin. And he's been released two out of three times and the Brechin side he played in was the worst second tier side of all time! I really like the big guy and he's obviously a coach, club captain and a huge player for us on and off the park. But I really do think Kerr and Fordyce is our best centre-half pairing and he's struggled at times this season. I'd probably keep him as a backup on the proviso we sign at least one other centre-half but no doubt Murray has a big decision to make there. 

Whether we get promoted or not we should be throwing a deal Paton's way IMO. Assuming he fancies it Championship or League 1 football is surely more attractive than the Lowland League and we should be able to outmuscle East Kilbride on finance, even with them being well-resourced. No doubt the midfield will need a huge overhaul though like you say. I'd obviously love to keep Turner but there's no chance of that happening I would have thought. I'd keep Paul McKay and I think O'Reilly has enough about him to take a chance on in the Championship. League 1 is Thomson's ceiling IMO and I think Ritchie is actually our player btw but regardless if we get promoted I would be looking for an upgrade. 

I think Carrick is a cracking footballer and more than capable of being a good player in the Championship. I think Gal would be good enough to play at that level also but I wouldn't want to rely on him to be a regular goalscorer. Would happily have Connell back, whether on loan or a permanent deal but I definitely think we'd need to sign a couple of strikers, preferably guys who have performed well at Championship level previously. I think promotion to the second tier this season would be too soon for Ally Roy. He needs to be playing at a club where the manager has confidence in him to start him every week and, most importantly, where he goes on a scoring run. I'm not sure a team looking to survive (ultimately) in the Championship can afford to take a gamble like that. 

So if (if) we do get promoted I'd be looking to keep: 

Currie 

Kerr 

Fordyce

Crighton 

McCann 

Walker 

Paton 

P.McKay 

O'Reilly 

Gallagher 

Carrick 

Connell 

Would obviously love to keep Turner as well if by some miracle it could happen and wouldn't be overly bothered if any of Murdoch, Ritchie or Roy were kept on as back-up. So I'd be looking to sign a right-back, centre-half, 2/3 centre-mids, 2x strikers and maybe a winger. 

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I would agree with most of your comments. Crighton is an interesting one. He's won promotion out of this league three (?) times with Morton, Livingston and Brechin. And he's been released two out of three times and the Brechin side he played in was the worst second tier side of all time! I really like the big guy and he's obviously a coach, club captain and a huge player for us on and off the park. But I really do think Kerr and Fordyce is our best centre-half pairing and he's struggled at times this season. I'd probably keep him as a backup on the proviso we sign at least one other centre-half but no doubt Murray has a big decision to make there. 

Whether we get promoted or not we should be throwing a deal Paton's way IMO. Assuming he fancies it Championship or League 1 football is surely more attractive than the Lowland League and we should be able to outmuscle East Kilbride on finance, even with them being well-resourced. No doubt the midfield will need a huge overhaul though like you say. I'd obviously love to keep Turner but there's no chance of that happening I would have thought. I'd keep Paul McKay and I think O'Reilly has enough about him to take a chance on in the Championship. League 1 is Thomson's ceiling IMO and I think Ritchie is actually our player btw but regardless if we get promoted I would be looking for an upgrade. 

I think Carrick is a cracking footballer and more than capable of being a good player in the Championship. I think Gal would be good enough to play at that level also but I wouldn't want to rely on him to be a regular goalscorer. Would happily have Connell back, whether on loan or a permanent deal but I definitely think we'd need to sign a couple of strikers, preferably guys who have performed well at Championship level previously. I think promotion to the second tier this season would be too soon for Ally Roy. He needs to be playing at a club where the manager has confidence in him to start him every week and, most importantly, where he goes on a scoring run. I'm not sure a team looking to survive (ultimately) in the Championship can afford to take a gamble like that. 

So if (if) we do get promoted I'd be looking to keep: 

Currie 

Kerr 

Fordyce

Crighton 

McCann 

Walker 

Paton 

P.McKay 

O'Reilly 

Gallagher 

Carrick 

Connell 

Would obviously love to keep Turner as well if by some miracle it could happen and wouldn't be overly bothered if any of Murdoch, Ritchie or Roy were kept on as back-up. So I'd be looking to sign a right-back, centre-half, 2/3 centre-mids, 2x strikers and maybe a winger. 

Agree, think I would be making Turner a really good offer, if we could get him the team could be built round him, 

On 08/05/2021 at 21:02, CoveRangers1922 said:

Big overhaul and busy summer then! Sure we'd be the same too. Would, hopefully, attract a higher calibre of player and be looking to strengthen in the key areas and have backup. 

The rise of 3 straight promotions would be astonishing and  bring challenges. For us, one big decision would be if we go full time or hybrid. Our stadium would need investment too

Like you say, long way to go before that's a reality. Do feel the winner of Cove or Airdrie would feel they could have a real chance in the playoff final. I say that if Mitch plays, if he's out for whatever reason our chance of promotion would dip considerably

Is Megginson potentially out tomorrow? I know he was down for a minute or so on Saturday but he came back on and seemed to be okay? Obviously you never like to see a player out injured but if he isn't playing that would be a huge boost for us. 

24 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Agree, think I would be making Turner a really good offer, if we could get him the team could be built round him, 

We should be giving him a blank cheque to write whatever he wants on it and whatever the f**k else he wants! There's rumours that Hearts and St Johnstone were/are after him so I'd expect him to be moving higher up the food chain whether we get promoted or not. It'd be a massive signing if (IF) we pulled it off however. Would genuinely be the difference between a place or two in the Championship IMO. 

38 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Is Megginson potentially out tomorrow? I know he was down for a minute or so on Saturday but he came back on and seemed to be okay? Obviously you never like to see a player out injured but if he isn't playing that would be a huge boost for us. 

We should be giving him a blank cheque to write whatever he wants on it and whatever the f**k else he wants! There's rumours that Hearts and St Johnstone were/are after him so I'd expect him to be moving higher up the food chain whether we get promoted or not. It'd be a massive signing if (IF) we pulled it off however. Would genuinely be the difference between a place or two in the Championship IMO. 

Don't think Megginson is a doubt thankfully. He was comfortable for the remainder of the game on Saturday. I was just saying that if we lose him to injury or suspension then our dynamic and threat is severely hampered. McIntosh and McAllister aren't close to his standard.

Tomorrow will be tense!

20 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Stream purchased. Trepidation builds.

Likewise and I can feel the tension already!

Will we see the players rise to the occasion and put in stellar performances that merit promotion or will we see a cagey affair. I think the former given the season both clubs have had.

This is the pick of the two ties, for me anyway. I think both will have a right go, especially last 30 if it's still a draw. Really looking forward to watching this. Play offs are a great addition to keep the summer boredom at bay.

1 hour ago, banditjag said:

This is the pick of the two ties, for me anyway. I think both will have a right go, especially last 30 if it's still a draw. Really looking forward to watching this. Play offs are a great addition to keep the summer boredom at bay.

Should be an interesting and attacking game. Both teams desperate to reach the final and have a chance at getting to the Championship.

For Cove we pin a lot of our hopes on Mitch but we do have others who can score. Need to remain tight at the back and defend the long throws well.