Airdrieonians vs Cove Rangers - Playoff Semi

This is going to be nerve wracking. 

Get back down the road without having lost and I think we'll see it through on Tuesday, but I expect Cove to be much much better than they were on Saturday past. 

Fully expect a much different Cove to last Saturday; both in personnel and in desire, intensity and creativity. 

Our first time ever with a chance of getting to the championship; that should be all the motivation we need. It will be a tough tie over the 2 legs but both teams will relish the opportunity. I would think the winner will be favourites to win the playoff final. 

Mitch will undoubtedly be our main goal threat and I fancy him to get a few goals across both legs. We'll play with a quicker tempo and should have better link up between the midfield and attack with the likes of Fyvie & Smith starting and Blair playing wide and Scott Ross RB.

I might, for the first time this season, go to Balmoral and watch from the hill behind the goal, providing it's not lashing it down!

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I might, for the first time this season, go to Balmoral and watch from the hill behind the goal, providing it's not lashing it down!

Weather looks wet all over so you might need to stay at home. It will be a close fought set of games and I know what I would like but I am sitting on the fence. 

On 06/05/2021 at 17:00, CoveRangers1922 said:

Fully expect a much different Cove to last Saturday; both in personnel and in desire, intensity and creativity. 

Our first time ever with a chance of getting to the championship; that should be all the motivation we need. It will be a tough tie over the 2 legs but both teams will relish the opportunity. I would think the winner will be favourites to win the playoff final. 

Mitch will undoubtedly be our main goal threat and I fancy him to get a few goals across both legs. We'll play with a quicker tempo and should have better link up between the midfield and attack with the likes of Fyvie & Smith starting and Blair playing wide and Scott Ross RB.

Agree with all of this. Huge disappointment not to get to cove this season so hoping for a trip up next season if you make it through and supporters are allowed. Airdrie are tough opposition but as you say, megginson will be the difference.

Would be quite happy to come away from today without defeat and bring them back to Broomfield on Tuesday, albeit I think we’re very capable of winning today given our recent form.

It’ll be interesting to see how we set up today. We had good success down the wings against Cove last time out. Maybe start Thomson over Carrick?

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

Very tricky game today,  whatever happens we have to keep in the game, ride our luck ..

need to crank up last week's performance in Cove.....

good luck to Ian Murray and the boys....

Should be an interesting encounter. Very high stakes this time around. Sadly not great weather for it but I doubt that will affect the game too much.

3 league games this season between the sides; a 1-1 draw and a 2-0 win a piece.

I've got a feeling we'll score a couple of today.

Predicted starting lineup

McKenzie

Ross Strachan Graham Ngwenya

Yule Fyvie Scully Smith

Mitch Rory

Edit: we go with Leighton, sigh, at LW instead of Connor Smith.  Apart from that our strongest 11 with Jamie Masson and Harry Milne out until start of next season

Edited by CoveRangers1922

46 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Would be quite happy to come away from today without defeat and bring them back to Broomfield on Tuesday, albeit I think we’re very capable of winning today given our recent form.

It’ll be interesting to see how we set up today. We had good success down the wings against Cove last time out. Maybe start Thomson over Carrick?

Yeah we played 3 at the back last Saturday (first time ever doing that) with 2 wing backs of Logan and Livingstone who are bench warmers to be honest and you definitely had  joy down both flanks. Think we'll start 4-4-2 this time. 

Our LB Harry Milne who is instrumental to our defence and can bomb forward to is still out injured.

Very interested to see how both teams fair today. Annoying all the playoff games are 3pm today as I fancied watching a few.

Half time and end to end stuff but 0-0 it is. Cove have looked threatening at times especially down the right with Yule. Rory and Leighton had half chances.

Airdrie's long throw is causing us issues. 

Not much between the sides as we knew. Feel that if Mitch gets any chance(s) he'll take them.

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Airdrie have been pretty pish. Done nothing albeit should have scored another. They will be happy with the draw

The Carrick chance was huge but I feel we've let slip a bit and could have been good for all 3 points. The own goal was wicked.

All to play for going into the 2nd leg. We edged the first leg but scoreline is 1-1

It'll be tense on Tuesday 

It was a bit unpleasant from our point of view and the goal was indeed jammy. Never really got going upfront for most of the game as we battled to stop them playing through. Had Carrick scored we can't say it was over as that wind driven dominance helped Cove. Much what i thought would happen today and a draw leaves us ready for a Tuesday win! Off for the curry.

Happy with a draw there, especially given the performance. As expected, Cove were much improved on last week and will feel a bit disappointed not to have come away with a win. We never really got going and the good fortune of Gallagher’s goal was cancelled out by Carrick’s miss shortly afterwards. I thought we were ok defensively but Turner struggled to control the game the way usually does, while Gallagher and Connell worked hard but struggled to make much of an impact. 

All to play for on Tuesday now. I’m expecting another tight game but our home form has been excellent since the defeat to Partick Thistle, especially on Tuesday nights, so hopefully that bodes well.