Top 5 ‘football’ bands

Latino Lover

Not sure if this is ever been done but top five bands or artists you associate with football.

5)  oasis. Pretty obvious one to start with but oasis were ubiquitous in the 90s and were always outspoken in their support of Man City even when they were shite. Iconic gigs at Maine road then the Etihad and the famous picture of Noel and Liam in the old umbro shirt. Pretty green later did a range with umbro and oasis music being a match day mainstay ensures they are on the list.

4) kasabian. Not a band I’ve ever really been bothered about but their hit fire was all over the Australian coverage of the premier league when I lived their and often played for a loop for all of half time in the pub. Again well known fans of local side Leicester and charity match stalwarts.  Club foot opened pro evo back in the day when it was undisputed king too.

3) madness. Maybe it’s due to my age but I’ll always associate their music with going to the match, Suggs is a big Chelsea fan and wrote their cup final song in 97 I believe.  Embarrassment is an underrated song from an underrated band and will always be associated with sunderlands 2003 relegation for me, not the tale of interracial pregnancy it depicts.

2) new order. Not football fans from what I gather but writers of arguably the most famous and best football song in world in motion. The England 1990 third shirt is one of the most iconic ever produced mainly due to Bernie sumner wearing it in the video rather than it’s one appearance in a scrappy 1-0 win over turkey in izmir.  True faith is another match day anthem and regret was used as the metro fm jingle from early 90s Newcastle games which I’d listen to whenever I wasn’t at st James’ park.

1) the jam. Absolutely no idea if any of the Woking band liked football but a town called malice, whilst overplayed, will always bring back happy memory of pre match boozers for me.  That’s entertainment, later covered well by morrissey, was played over a sky montage after a 3-1 win at boundary park that coincided with Newcastle picking up the entertainers nickname in the early 90s.  Beat surrender, going underground and down in the tube station at midnight are all regulars in certain bars I’d choose to frequent pre match.

honourable mentions for the lightning seeds, the farm, stiff little fingers, the specials and the ramones.  

let me know yours.

Manic Street Preachers - did Wales Euro 2016 song and their bassist Nicky Wire (real name Nicholas Jones) captained Wales at youth level before an injury curtailed his football career.

Sham 69 - their song "If The Kids Are United" will forever remind me of matchdays at Somerset Park, as the teams ran out to that song for years.

The Clash - not sure if they actually liked football, but when I went to away games with my uncle when I was younger, he would have The Clash on the car stereo. 

Glasvegas - their singer James Allan used to play professionally in the Scottish lower leagues for Stirling Albion, Dumbarton, Gretna, Falkirk and a few other clubs.

Belle & Sebastian - their singer is an Ayr United fan.

Just to add, Half Man Half Biscuit have done quite a few football songs (they're Tranmere Rovers fans), including The Referee's Alphabet, Even Met with Steel Hearts (Love to see a Dog on the Pitch), Bob Wilson - Anchorman, and my favourite - the rather lesser known Swerving the Checkatrade - a song where he professes to his lover that he'd rather hang about with her than go and watch shite football matches, and contains such classic lines as...

Oh let me gaze upon your curves, 

Instead of Ipswich Town reserves,

Swerving the Checkatrade with you....

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Oh btw, can I take this opportunity to give a hearty "f**k you" to both Rangers and Celtic for appropriating the songs Penny Arcade and I Just Can't Get Enough respectively. Two fine songs with f**k all to do with football / the respective teams, but I can never put on a jukebox in the pub again lest I'm accused of being a fan of one of the Gruesome Twosome. 

I appreciate other clubs have adopted songs, but they're generally shite songs (e.g. I'm forever blowing bubbles) or clubs that I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen as a supporter of. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

• 1 month later...

The Hanson Brothers (not Hanson) played Ramones-imitating music with songs exclusively about ice hockey (they are Canadian) and I often get the notion for doing a Scottish football equivalent - always feels like a good idea after 3-4 fast beers but not really at any other time.

Stark's Park for years meant the same tunes in the same order before a game, so there are football songs for me but not bands.  Livin on a Prayer, Alive and Kicking, and that 'modern' one that I think is Ikona Pop?  Rockin All Over the World after a win.

Maybe Deacon Blue because of Scotland games.  

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2021 at 14:37, L. Brilliant said:

The Hanson Brothers (not Hanson) played Ramones-imitating music with songs exclusively about ice hockey (they are Canadian) and I often get the notion for doing a Scottish football equivalent - always feels like a good idea after 3-4 fast beers but not really at any other time.

Stark's Park for years meant the same tunes in the same order before a game, so there are football songs for me but not bands.  Livin on a Prayer, Alive and Kicking, and that 'modern' one that I think is Ikona Pop?  Rockin All Over the World after a win.

Maybe Deacon Blue because of Scotland games.  

Totally off topic but Slapshot is an excellent film.

James are a big football band with the members being quite vocal in their support for various teams particularly Tim Booth and his love for Leeds. He's also close friends with Gordon Strachan who often appears in the crowd at their Scottish concerts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/how-we-met-tim-booth-gordon-strachan-you-re-not-turning-one-those-dresses-you-wear-cover-album-are-you-9457521.html

They were also supposed to write the official England World Cup 1994 song with a version of Low Low Low being renamed Goal Goal Goal but needless to say England didn't qualify.

REM - Don't Go Back to Brockville.

Meat Loaf - Tannadice By The Dashboard Light

Phil Collins - Something In The Ayr 

Ed Sheeran - Tynecastle On The Hill

Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love Street

Edited by scottsdad