Buddies/Thirds at Hampden

Jacksgranda

Just reading the Third Lanark v Kilmarnock programme for 2nd January 1963, and there's this wee snippet - " Matt (Gray) has been absent from the first X1 on only two occasions. He missed the opening League Cup tie with St Mirren which was played at Hampden,..."

Can any Saints historian shed any light on this?

2 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Aberdeen Evening Express for 10th August seems to confirm this but I don't have full access to BNA to check full article.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1962-08-08/1962-08-14?basicsearch=st mirren&exactsearch=false&country=scotland&retrievecountrycounts=false&mostspecificlocation=scotland

St Mirren.info site says game was at Cathkin Park

http://www.stmirren.info/id310.html

The mystery deepens. I had assumed it was because Love Street was out of action, but it might have been Cathkin, maybe to do with their new stand?

14 hours ago, andrew21 said:

Good chance found this on scottishleague.net website

have to correct myself here. My information came from what looked like impeccable sources but I received an email this morning from Richard Cairns asking me if the Third Lanark-Kilmarnock match on Jan 2nd 1963 was at Hampden or Cathkin as he had always had it down as Cathkin. I had it as Hampden. Upon checking contemporary reports however, I discovered it was Cathkin. Naturally, this prompted me to do some further digging and, far from playing the majority of games at Hampden in 1962-63, it appears that Thirds played only their three League Cup games (v St Mirren, Rangers & Hibs) and their opening league game v Falkirk there. The Evening Times for September 22nd 1962 clearly states "No attendance records were broken when Third Lanark hanselled their new stand for their first match of the season at Cathkin Park." There certainly weren't any records broken as only 3,912 turned up.

Ah Gogsy, why not just use your old ID rather than go after people behind an alias.   Good to see your still into your historical stuff though 👍