I stumbled across a video on Twitter of some of his saves over the years - very good goalkeeper.

The first save was against Dundee, I’m not sure if I’m mistaken here but is it Dundee or St Mirren fans who hate Alan Main and label him a cheat? What’s the story behind that? It’s touched on here a lot but what exactly happened?

I stumbled across a video on Twitter of some of his saves over the years - very good goalkeeper.
The first save was against Dundee, I’m not sure if I’m mistaken here but is it Dundee or St Mirren fans who hate Alan Main and label him a cheat? What’s the story behind that? It’s touched on here a lot but what exactly happened?
There was a match in 2001 where St Johnstone led Dundee Utd 2-0 and United came back to win 3-2 with Main at fault for a couple of the goals. The win for United relegated St Mirren. St Mirren fans have hated Main ever since.
He was a superb keeper. The save you mention against Dundee was unbelievable.

tapatalk_1619527598111.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

What’s the story behind that? It’s touched on here a lot but what exactly happened?

Weighed down by his medal collection, he was unable to get off the ground to make the saves.

45 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Before the game Main said something like "there's a large colony of ex-United players at the Saintees and we'll do what we can to keep them up."

c**t should have been Knighted.

FTFY.

I thought he should have been at far bigger clubs than he ended up at tbh, and should have tried his luck down south. If a scottish keeper of his ability was playing today he would be a cert for every international squad imo. He is renowned for being a bit of a c**t however.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Before the game Main said something like "there's a large colony of ex-United players at the Saintees and we'll do what we can to keep them up."

c**t should have been imprisoned.

Did he actually say that? That is really poor if true.

Dundee fans arguably hate him more than St Mirren fans.

Not for any particular reason other than he's an utter c**t of a human being. Several less than savoury songs used to get directed at him. Possibly some that would be completely out of order in this day and age too.

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Did he actually say that? That is really poor if true.

Of course he didn't 😂

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not for any particular reason other than he's an utter c**t of a human being. Several less than savoury songs used to get directed at him. Possibly some that would be completely out of order in this day and age too.

Alky Dad

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Would be nothing compared to what Dunfermline used to sing to George O'Boyle!