• Raith Rovers
  • Inverness
  • Arbroath

South group number 2 seeds

• Dunfermline
  • Queen of the South
  • Ayr
  • Morton

The remaining clubs split North and South, with the one additional place to be awarded, possibly a play off between a highland and lowland league side but with Brora , Kelty and Brechin all likely to end up in the North section it would be better if this extra non SPFL side was in the South group.

Switching is bad news for us. We've definitely benefited over the last few seasons from a lot of weaker teams in the South section.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

East Kilbride will be the extra team this year.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/date-set-for-premier-sports-cup-draw

Date set for Premier Sports Cup draw

Group stage draw to be made next Friday

The draw for the first round group stage of the 2021/22 Premier Sports Cup will be made on Friday May 28 at 1.00pm.

It will be shown live by Premier Sports via their FreeSports channel. FreeSports is available on Freeview HD channel 64, Sky HD channel 422, Virgin HD 553, TalkTalk 64, BT Vision channel 64 and is also available on the FreeSports Player — www.freesportsplayer.tv

The draw will also be broadcast on the SPFL YouTube channel.

With five SPFL clubs taking part in UEFA competitions next season, the Premier Sports Cup group stage draw will involve the other 37 SPFL clubs from 2020/21 plus Highland League champions Brora Rangers and Lowland League champions Kelty Hearts.

The new, additional slot in the group stage will be taken this year by East Kilbride, who finished as runners-up in the Lowland League this season. This follows the drawing of lots between East Kilbride and Fraserburgh, the Highland League runners-up.

Those 40 teams will be drawn into eight groups of five on a seeded and regionalised basis. Details of the seeding pots will be confirmed ahead of the draw.

The eight group winners and three best runners-up will join European qualifiers Rangers, Celtic, Hibernian, Aberdeen and cup holders St Johnstone in the last 16 of the competition.

Premier Sports Cup 2021/22 dates

Group stage
MD1: Weekend of July 10/11
MD2: Midweek of July 13/14
MD3: Weekend of July 17/18
MD4: Midweek of July 20/21
MD5: Weekend of July 24/25

Second round
Weekend of August 14/15

Quarter-finals
Midweek of September 21-23

Semi-finals
Weekend of November 20/21

Final
Sunday December 19

17 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Switching is bad news for us. We've definitely benefited over the last few seasons from a lot of weaker teams in the South section.

Obviously there's still luck of the draw involved, but the South unseeded teams have consistently been stronger than the North.

45 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously there's still luck of the draw involved, but the South unseeded teams have consistently been stronger than the North.

I think the first and second seeds were historically a lot stronger in the North. I'd still say that's the case this season but less so than previously.

Would have to look at the non seeds more closely but I'm sure you're right.

11 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

I cant remember off memory but I think the relegated League 2 are still given a non seed spot for their region.

I seem to remember that being the case for East Stirling and Berwick although I could be mistaken.

Yes everything is based on the season just past so its the current 42 plus now 3 from the highland and lowland leagues.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

If I've worked this out correctly, the unseeded teams should be regionalised as follows:

North

Alloa Athletic

Brechin City

Brora Rangers

Cove Rangers

Cowdenbeath

East Fife

Elgin City

Forfar Athletic

Kelty Hearts

Montrose

Peterhead

Stirling Albion

South

Airdrieonians

Albion Rovers

Annan Athletic

Clyde

Dumbarton

East Kilbride

Edinburgh City

Falkirk

Partick Thistle

Queen's Park

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

This is on the basis of a purely geographical north-south divide, which throws up the possibility of, for example, Stirling Albion being drawn in the same group as Brora Rangers, a 400-mile round trip, and unable to be drawn with Stenhousemuir 10 miles down the road. As far as I'm aware this is how it's worked in the past, hence the occasional switching between the north and south categories for 'middle ground' clubs.

Edited by Bushel o' Bricks

At least being in the same section and seeding group as Raith means we can't get drawn against them for the 4th season in a row.

My ideal group would be

• Motherwell
  • Morton (because that is bound to happen at this rate)
  • Airdrieonians (not played them in any form for ages)
  • East Kilbride (local team, would like to travel to their ground)
  • Albion rovers (to put some fear into the mix)

I just want to draw teams we've not played for a while. 

St Mirren - only top seeds we've not faced in the groups since they came in. Last meeting with them was 05/06 when they won the first division. 
Morton - We've drawn all the 2nd seeds at some point but think Morton is the longest ago since last meeting. 

Anyone not in our league from the unseeded. Albion Rovers and Annan will do as they'll probably be the weakest. 

Edited by C. Muir