Clyde vs East Fife (Take Two)

I expect nothing other than East Fife trying to win this match so we need another performance. Can hope that East Fife have a few out, as has been suggested, and that we might be a wee bit fresher having an extra few days off, but it’ll be tough. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it. 

12 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Going to be  a really weakened East Fife team tomorrow night . No Ryan Wallace, Chris Higgins, Kevin Smith, Danny Swanson and Agnew doubtful. Be a lot of youth players in the squad. If I was a Dumbarton fan I wouldn’t be very hopeful. Clyde will surely be fired up with what’s at stake for them. However pressure does funny things and Clyde  will really feel the pressure. I think not being a crowd will also work in their favour. East Fife only having 48 hour turn around from Forfar game also big advantage for Clyde. Home win I think. 

Don't believe this.

10 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

One thing you will not see is East Fife lying down to Clyde. If we lose it will be because we are knackered and/or Clyde have something to play for.

Personally I think back to the last day of the 1973-74 season when Hearts offered nothing against Clyde at Tynecastle and gave them a point to relegate us. That's Hearts though. 

Wow Cosmic Joe, 47 years ago...are you Leslie Welch reincarnated?

17 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Where has all the positivity gone from all us Clyde fans, ffs we are playing East Fife not fcuking Real Madrid. We have got a few positive aspects in our favour, we know exactly which result we need so there won’t be any confusion on how we approach the game, the guys are all buzzing from Saturday and should take a lot of confidence from that performance, we have had a decent rare rest period and time to prepare, we have got something to play for, we are past due a result against EF  as we were against Dumbarton and one last thing we have David Goodwillie  the best player in the division who is well capable of putting any team to the sword. 

I mean... we have Robert Jones and Isaac Layne (kinda).

In all seriousness though, he is a decent player but I wouldn't go as far as to say he is the best in the league.

Edited by squeezeboxson

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I mean... we have Robert Jones and Isaac Layne (kinda).

In all seriousness though, he is a decent player but I wouldn't go as far as to say he is the best in the league.

Interesting thought... who would you say is the best in the league currently?

I think ability-wise, Goodwillie is miles in front. Scored against Casillas ffs. However almost half a decade playing at this level seems to occasionally rub off on him. He still does the odd Goodwillie thing though, thinking the first game back v East Fife where he just thought f**k it and decided to score.

Hard to pick out who I think is the best currently, maybe Fyvie at Cove? Also really like Antoniazzi at Montrose whenever I've seen him previously.

9 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Hard to pick out who I think is the best currently, maybe Fyvie at Cove? Also really like Antoniazzi at Montrose whenever I've seen him previously.

Megginson is a top player. Like Webster and Ballantyne (well one of them anyway 😆) from Montrose too.

20 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I think ability-wise, Goodwillie is miles in front. Scored against Casillas ffs. However almost half a decade playing at this level seems to occasionally rub off on him. He still does the odd Goodwillie thing though, thinking the first game back v East Fife where he just thought f**k it and decided to score.

If we're including loan players, then Scott Tiffoney would be right up there. He was absolutely sensational for Thistle and is a major reason why they ended up storming to the title. I'd say that an injury-free Stuart Bannigan is worth a mention too. 

Fwiw though Goodwillie is certainly in the top 1-5 players in the league. There's not a chance he'd be playing at this level if it wasn't for his circumstances. His goal return speaks for itself - especially in a Clyde team that has struggled over the past two seasons. Imagine what he would do for a Cove/Montrose type.

Nobody in the majority of teams in this league come close to having the ability Goodwillie does. As has been said, a few of the guys at Cove & Partick probably aren’t far off. Montrose have a couple of good players, too.

I would say Goodwillie is the best player in this league. I can’t think of anyone else I’ve seen who has the ability to take control and win a game like he can and has done in the past. The only thing that isn’t on his side now is his age.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Not sure who I'd say was the best players, but would say overall I think the standard of L1 has been pretty poor this year.  Not only L1, from what I've seen of the Championship broadcast on a Friday night, that's probably the worst I've ever seen for that level.  Maybe the lack of fans has played a part, but it ain't been great.

Obviously writing in some leeway for our division more recently with the ridiculous amount of games the teams have had to play in a small period of time, & I hope all the chairmen have enjoyed the little extra PPV shekels they've earned from these additional 4 games that caused that schedule.

As for tonight, Howie missing is a bit of a concern.  Would like to see Cunningham played in closer to Goodwillie because he's shown he can take a chance & is kind of wasted played too far wide, maybe have Jamieson's energy ready to come off the bench later.  Otherwise it's straightforward, we must win, that makes it relatively simple.  All the players have put in one helluva shift over the last month or so, one last big effort and I'm sure they can get us over the line, they've certainly got the ability.  

It was Victor Valdes in goal for Spain when Goodwillie scored. Sitting high in the opposite stand with an auld boy rattling through a bag of pistachios & spitting them down the stairs did i think the Scotland goalscorer would be playing for my club side in the future. A great player.

7 minutes ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

It was Victor Valdes in goal for Spain when Goodwillie scored. 

It was also a penalty, not like he ripped open the best team in the world before humiliating Valdes with an audacious chip. A proper hilarious justification for him being the best player in League 1.

19 minutes ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

It was Victor Valdes in goal for Spain when Goodwillie scored. Sitting high in the opposite stand with an auld boy rattling through a bag of pistachios & spitting them down the stairs did i think the Scotland goalscorer would be playing for my club side in the future. A great player.

So it was! Bad assumption from me.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It was also a penalty, not like he ripped open the best team in the world before humiliating Valdes with an audacious chip. A proper hilarious justification for him being the best player in League 1.

Yes correct, but in order to score the penalty he had to be good enough to get into the Scotland squad and get a start against a team who at that point were the world and European champions. I'd say that's a decent justification for him being the most talented player in L1, but probably not so f**k me I guess.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

So it was! Bad assumption from me.

Yes correct, but in order to score the penalty he had to be good enough to get into the Scotland squad and get a start against a team who at that point were the world and European champions. I'd say that's a decent justification for him being the most talented player in L1, but probably not so f**k me I guess.

I'm not disagreeing that he's up there with the best in the league but a penalty he scored 10 years ago doesn't really justify that stance. He also didn't start the game, he came on as sub right before scoring the penalty. Apart from that you've been spot on with every detail :lol:

Morrison was a good shout for best player in the league until Falkirk’s form dropped off like snow off a dyke. Tiffoney has been excellent when I’ve seen him, as has Megginson.

Honourable mention to the fullbacks and Webster at Montrose as well, they’re a pain in the arse to deal with.

As for tonight, I’m assuming we have everyone bar Lang and Howie back? The match previews aren’t very helpful these days. 

If so, I’d go again with the same team with Otoo and Mitchell in for Howie and Wilson. Leave Jamieson for a bit of legs and freshness off the bench if we’re chasing it.