Clyde vs East Fife (Take Two)

Guest andyp1301
7 hours ago, Clydeside said:

About the offside. I was with Pride of the Clyde and BrigtonClyde on that even after a couple of watch-overs.

However, after a few more watch-overs, and reminding myself that some of us probably watch a lot of televised football where you get some very sohpisticated analysis done on these kind of decisions.... I imagine what David W and the_bully_wee are picking up on is that when McGlinchey sticks it back across, if you slow the footage down and apply the kind of analysis you see on the big televised games... You know, the straight-line drawn across the screen and an examination of whether the attacker had some part of his body capable of legally scoring a goal ahead of the defender when the ball was played... Then there's an argument to say Goodwillie was just a little ahead of the East Fife defender and therefore offside.

I would just say though... Again with nothing but love for my fellow supporters here... To say he was definitely offside makes it sound as though there was clear daylight between Goodwillie and the defender or that it was obvious even without slowing down the footage. It certainly wasn't obvious to me. And on the point about luck. Yes I suppose it is lucky, strictly speaking. But even the best positioned linesman there would just be seeing two silhouettes in more or less perfect alignment. I don't get worked up when teams get very fine calls like that in their favour against us. And I don't really think of it as unlucky to the same degree as a manifestly bad penalty call or whatever.

Had another look at the East Fife penalty actually. No change of mind there. Soft I'd give you, yes. But it's never, ever a dive.

The rules and how they apply, especially these days after so much revision over the last twenty years, are easily the most boring part of the game to ponder over. I daresay there'll be consensus on that if nothing else!

Great analysis and articulately delivered....does the Clyde View have your details?

He's not offside, the camera angles are deceptive.  If you watch the coverage from the main stand, at the point the ball is crossed the defender closest to the keeper plays him on

The penalty's extremely soft.  Just before the ball gets crossed the East Fife lad makes a run & Rumsby reaches out and touches his arm / shoulder but doesn't pull him back.  By the time the ball arrives,  he's  decided he's felt a touch, he's going down & Rumsby trips over him

In any case, the better team on the night won