The Famous Aberdeen - European Tour 2021/22

tarapoa

Okay, so that was Europe season 2021-22.

The positives I suppose were that we again played three rounds, when there was a large fear that drawing a Swedish side in mid-season during Q2 would mean an early exit.

AFC also exceeded their seeding again - this for the 4th time in 8 seasons, the other 4 we matched it - many Scots clubs have struggled even to match their seeding in recent times.

Also, even though it was a different tournament, the club finally made it to the play-off round.

Negative I suppose was the reality that a winnable looking tie to make the groups, even after the first leg, turned into a complete trouncing and again our more frenetic game was still shown up for what it is when confronted with technically superior opposition from southern warmer climes.

A Scottish Cup win or 3rd place is straight into the groups next season apparently - our reinforcements over the last couple of days look like a level where both should be targeted, even though a couple will maybe go out.
It would have been nice to have had them in beforehand, but to get that level of player, there was probably no choice but to play the waiting game. That is another positive of going straight into the groups - clubs like ours will then have the finalised squad available.

Yours hoping for continued seasons on the Scots In Europe section of P&B - it’s where we belong.

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I wouldn’t call that being opinion-less on Marley Watkins.

That comment was directed at Dave Cormack not at Marley Watkins.

However, it was said in the aftermath of the Qarabag match where disappointment was my overriding emotion.

Unfortunately, not all of us can be uber-positive at all times like you.

However, a different day and a different mood and now on the  the eve of the next match, and I've finally shrugged off my negativity from Thursday and now looking forward to see Watkins, Bates, Longstaff and Samuels in action for the Reds.

Bogbrush has a point. Not only was Watkins signed by McInnes last season, therefore making him a McInnes signing by pedantic definition, McInnes also LOVED bringing players who had previously played for us back to the club. 

However, I’m delighted he’s back. People forget just how good the football we played was during that very short period. The 3-4-3 with Fergie and McCrorie in the middle, Kennedy and Hayes as wingbacks and Wr*ght, Hedges and Watkins up top produced some fantastic moments of play and some good goals in good wins. The problem was it was like a house of cards, and as soon as you removed one part of it, the roof caved in. Watkins was massive in that, and should work really well in Glass’s style of play. That’s why I’m excited to see him this season. 

54 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Bogbrush has a point. Not only was Watkins signed by McInnes last season, therefore making him a McInnes signing by pedantic definition, McInnes also LOVED bringing players who had previously played for us back to the club. 

However, I’m delighted he’s back. People forget just how good the football we played was during that very short period. The 3-4-3 with Fergie and McCrorie in the middle, Kennedy and Hayes as wingbacks and Wr*ght, Hedges and Watkins up top produced some fantastic moments of play and some good goals in good wins. The problem was it was like a house of cards, and as soon as you removed one part of it, the roof caved in. Watkins was massive in that, and should work really well in Glass’s style of play. That’s why I’m excited to see him this season. 

All that sounds a bit too positive for me.

I'm going for a lie down.

To be honest a group of Basel, Nicosia and Almaty was hardly mouthwatering.

Qarabag were in Pot 2, we’d have been in Pot 3 - so would not have got this draw.

I will just get excited about Ross County, Motherwell and St Johnstone instead.

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Qarabag were in Pot 2, we’d have been in Pot 3 - so would not have got this draw.

I will just get excited about Ross County, Motherwell and St Johnstone instead.

Ach I know but looking at the other shite in that competition it would likely have been the Armenian Motherwell, Austrian Ross County and Slovenian St Johnstone.

Ach I know but looking at the other shite in that competition it would likely have been the Armenian Motherwell, Austrian Ross County and Slovenian St Johnstone.

I’d have loved to have seen the Armenian Motherwell at Pittodrie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2021 at 20:23, Scary Bear said:

How the f**k did Lincoln Red Imps make the group stages?

Win the league and then you have 3 chances.  In the conference play-offs that Lincoln Red Imps they had to beat a similar team from Lativa to qualify. There will be quite a few smaller teams qualify for the European Conference League.   

Edited by betting competition

• 4 months later...