The Famous Aberdeen - European Tour 2021/22

tarapoa

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

The pressing by Qarabag killed us. It panicked particularly McCrorie and Gallagher, and some of their passing forward was abysmal because we weren’t able to knock the ball along the back line because of the pressing. Joe Lewis was throwing the ball out to free defenders, but the speed of the Qarabag players meant that by the time our defenders received the ball they were already closed down. I thought that Scott Brown in particular kept getting caught in possession and then losing the ball. In all honesty, only losing 3-1 was a result. Even Celtic at their peak a few years ago didn’t put us under that much pressure.

For sure, they were very good and as I said no shame in losing to them. 

But we really did nothing last night and I think we played into their hands. 

I thought the game was reminiscent of games against Celtic 3,4,5 years ago.....we would sit ridiculously deep and let them play.  Who is in charge at the back?  There was no one bawling at the defence to move out.

Whilst I am excited about the Scotland triple header next week enthusiasm is dampened when you consider both Gallacher and Ferguson get in the Scotland squad.  I am sorry but I just dont get it with Lewis Ferguson....by no means a bad player but not much more than an average scottish Premiership midfielder...I just dont see what he does that makes people believe he is both international class and worth circa £5m.

Scott Brown will need to up his game if he is to remain in the team - very careless in possession last night and not half the player I was expecting to see in a Dons shirt..

and just to cap it all once again no hot food a kiosks at half time - "our new catering partners, Baxter Storey" need to brush up their pie procurement strategy

Horrible game for us yesterday but you have to appreciate how good Qarabag was their quick passing and also pressing as that is one of the most impressive performances I've watched at Pittodrie for a while. The negatives is how our players gave the ball away after a few passes and our manager didn't really change formation to try and combat Qarabag (I am concerned with Glass when things are not going well that he doesn't have a plan B). 

We all want to watch attacking football and the way Qarabag played is the template we should look to. We got further than expected with the seeding thanks to the Icelandic team beating Austria Vienna so that is a positive.  

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Maybe you could take your time to explain to @Dons_1988 why you think that signing Marley Watkins is a backward step. (And me)

Is this question in reference to what I said?

I didn't say Marley Watkins himself was a backward step (although I'm far less enthused by his return than some) but it's a McInnes signing. We replace the manager and the head of recruitment but bring in the same player. It makes me wonder why we bothered getting rid of McInnes.

With regards the match last night, I'm far less concerned with what Qarabag did and more pondering what we can do to break this glass ceiling we find ourselves. When the level steps up we step out.

You can argue that the aggregate wins against Groningen and Rijeka was where we triumphed over a level above our own but those matches were in our first two seasons in our return to Europe under Delboy.

Everything since has went pretty much as expected. We beat teams that we should and then go out when we face the first decent one, usually quite timidly.

At this rate, it will take us about 50 years to gather enough co-efficient points to break into the Top 100 which is apparently the aim.

I just don't know how we can do that because every season seems to be a loop of the ones that have gone before.

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I know it can be comforting to say that Qarabag are just better than us and it's not our fault but we made it easy for them. We were utterly hopeless from start to finish, rudderless, lacking imagination and guile, tactically out thought and lacking belief. The atmosphere was flat as I think from the opening few minutes it seemed mission impossible.

Derek McInnes will be laughing his head off tonight. It was just exactly the same Euro campaign as he had, go through a couple of rounds and then whimper out. And to top it off, we sign the same player he brought in last season.

I'll get disapproval for my negativity but I'm completely scunnered. We didn't even put up a fight. We just accept it and say their too good. 

Groundhog Day...Real Sociedad, Kairat Almaty, Maribor, Apollon Limassol, Rijeka, Sporting Lisbon, Qarabag, etc etc (I'll leave out Burnley because at least we didn't bother going through any other rounds that year)

alarm-bill-murray.gif.35719cb0dabac20f1215e9a660ac409f.gif

I think you've been a bit too negative but there's a lot of merit in what you say. I've posted about it about ten times already but the amount of touches our players have to take compared to the opponents in addition to their heavy press made it very hard for our players to get a grip of the game. 

The quality of coaching in the country has improved massively. You can see it with how adept on the ball the young guys are. The problem is we're likely catching up to where some of these countries used to be as they evolve further.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I thought the game was reminiscent of games against Celtic 3,4,5 years ago.....we would sit ridiculously deep and let them play.  Who is in charge at the back?  There was no one bawling at the defence to move out.

Whilst I am excited about the Scotland triple header next week enthusiasm is dampened when you consider both Gallacher and Ferguson get in the Scotland squad.  I am sorry but I just dont get it with Lewis Ferguson....by no means a bad player but not much more than an average scottish Premiership midfielder...I just dont see what he does that makes people believe he is both international class and worth circa £5m.

Scott Brown will need to up his game if he is to remain in the team - very careless in possession last night and not half the player I was expecting to see in a Dons shirt..

and just to cap it all once again no hot food a kiosks at half time - "our new catering partners, Baxter Storey" need to brush up their pie procurement strategy

Lewis Ferguson is far superior to your average Scottish Premiership midfielder. That's why he has teams looking at him in the first place.

5 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Horrible game for us yesterday but you have to appreciate how good Qarabag was their quick passing and also pressing as that is one of the most impressive performances I've watched at Pittodrie for a while. The negatives is how our players gave the ball away after a few passes and our manager didn't really change formation to try and combat Qarabag (I am concerned with Glass when things are not going well that he doesn't have a plan B). 

We all want to watch attacking football and the way Qarabag played is the template we should look to. We got further than expected with the seeding thanks to the Icelandic team beating Austria Vienna so that is a positive.  

No plan B is harsh. Glass has changed things at half time in several games and changed them. Can't agree with that at all.

Just now, DMCs said:

Just look at their European record over the past 5 years or so. They get gubbed in every Europa League group stage. Their revenue is smaller than yours btw.

But given you think they’re awful, I assume you’ve watched them a fair bit. 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

But given you think they’re awful, I assume you’ve watched them a fair bit. 

Their record speaks for itself. The idea that they are better than any Scottish side is very wrong. It's better that Aberdeen fans are more in tune with reality and you should be dismayed at your team for that result last night.

Just now, DMCs said:

Their record speaks for itself. The idea that they are better than any Scottish side is very wrong. It's better that Aberdeen fans are more in tune with reality and you should be dismayed at your team for that result last night.

So you’ve never seen them play. Thanks m9. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

So you’ve never seen them play. Thanks m9. 

Their revenue is smaller than yours. If they are so much better than you despite that then that just means you've failed somewhere.

Just now, DMCs said:

Their revenue is smaller than yours. If they are so much better than you despite that then that just means you've failed somewhere.

Let’s just admit someone made a vague suggestion they were better than rangers and you pissed your pants. 

You’ve then gone and actually searched their turnover to make a point about their ability at football, having never watched a minute of them play. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Let’s just admit someone made a vague suggestion they were better than rangers and you pissed your pants. 

You’ve then gone and actually searched their turnover to make a point about their ability at football, having never watched a minute of them play. 

I already knew that figure on turnover. I came in here to laugh at Aberdeen failing Scotland in Europe again and got a lot of bites. Great success!

1 minute ago, DMCs said:

I already knew that figure on turnover. I came in here to laugh at Aberdeen failing Scotland in Europe again and got a lot of bites. Great success!

At half 9 in the morning you're pulling the old "made myself look really stupid to mildly annoy you" ?

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

13 minutes ago, DMCs said:

This is an odd line for an OF fan. Don't you both generally get pumped out of Europe by teams with a lower revenue than you?