The Famous Aberdeen - European Tour 2021/22

tarapoa

22 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Greek sides performing horrendously. Astana were seeded to beat Aris but Velez Mostar knocking out AEK Athens was a huge shock. Wouldn’t be totally surprised if Bohemians knock out seeded PAOK In the next round.

Imagine AFC vs Bohemians for a place in the group stages.

With five teams from either the low countries (Belgium/Netherlands) or Israel with a good chance from the above list of qualifying  for the PO then, if I were a gambling man, then I would have a punt on us pulling one of them out of the hat.

I really don't want Spurs or Roma...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

46 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Vienna is two hours by train and I am fucking seething.

Why? Uefa aren't allowing away supporters to any of the qualifying rounds so surely your chance of getting a ticket would be pretty slim anyway?

22 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Why? Uefa aren't allowing away supporters to any of the qualifying rounds so surely your chance of getting a ticket would be pretty slim anyway?

I think there would be a couple of thousand Dons putting that to the test if we qualify for the PO with an appointment in North London pencilled in the diary.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

12 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Looks like this is our potential draws for Monday.

20210730_225854.jpg

Gavin Berry at the Daily Record appears to think that  Apollon Limassol and AEL Limassol are the same team (see below). It's not just a typo as he goes into detail with an accompanying pic  with flares being thrown onto the pitch at our previous meeting...

The dough ball should stick to the Ugly Sisters coverage.

AEL.thumb.JPG.59bce8e21dcd1e931fd8a399e8f935d9.JPG

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I seen AEL (pronounced "ah-yel", not A-E-L) play maybe 7 years ago on a trip to Cyprus. They were atrocious, lost 1-0 to Othellos IIRC, slow slow match in the April heat. Pretty ropy stadium, old crumbling concrete athletics ground. Maybe 1000 fans there? a pocket of about 15/20 "ultras" really giving it laldy. 

Obviously a while ago now, but they were the smaller of the two Limassol teams according to the taxi driver I spoke to there. 

Edited by RussellAnderson

2 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I seen AEL (pronounced "ah-yel", not A-E-L) play maybe 7 years ago on a trip to Cyprus. They were atrocious, lost 1-0 to Othellos IIRC, slow slow match in the April heat. Pretty ropy stadium, old crumbling concrete athletics ground. Maybe 1000 fans there? a pocket of about 15/20 "ultras" really giving it laldy. 

Obviously a while ago now, but they were the smaller of the two Limassol teams according to the taxi driver I spoke to there. 

Maybe AEL are the most likeliest from TNS, Ujpest and themselves to spring a surprise. By the sounds of it then, they might not be such an onerous task to remove than their city rivals were four years ago.

Ujpest would nice to rekindle the flame of 1984 when Mark McGhee was the brilliant Dons striker and hadn't yet metamorphosed into he who shouldn't be named...

On 30/07/2021 at 02:39, Rodhull said:

My friend is an Austria season ticket holder and Rapid allowed Sparta fans in for their tie. 

11 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Why is it that Aberdeen get tough draws most of the time? Going with co-efficent: Spurs 2nd, Basel 3rd, Viktoria Plzen 5th and Qarabag 10th.  

Your draw wasn't that bad. Roma, Gent, Anderlect, Rennes and LASK are all better than any team you got except Spurs. Basel might have a strong coefficient but they are really bad at the moment.

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

Your draw wasn't that bad. Roma, Gent, Anderlect, Rennes and LASK are all better than any team you got except Spurs. Basel might have a strong coefficient but they are really bad at the moment.

Not sure if this is just one of your really bad trolling attempts or not but It's highly debatable that either Gent or Anderlecht are better than just about any of the seeded sides Aberdeen could play. Even Qarabag are ranked higher than Anderlecht.

Didn't Basel just win a league game 6-1? They may ( I'm not going to claim to be an expert in Swiss football) not be the team they were a few years ago but they are a long way from really bad.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Not sure if this is just one of your really bad trolling attempts or not but It's highly debatable that either Gent or Anderlecht are better than just about any of the seeded sides Aberdeen could play. Even Qarabag are ranked higher than Anderlecht.

Didn't Basel just win a league game 6-1? They may ( I'm not going to claim to be an expert in Swiss football) not be the team they were a few years ago but they are a long way from really bad.

How would that be trolling?  The Belgian sides are ranked lower because they play in more competitive leagues where it's harder to qualify for Europe than Qarabag. Doesn't mean they are worse teams.

Compared to their own standard as the richest team in Switzerland, Basel have been dire recently. Good win on the weekend and Esposito seems a good signing so potentially they are turning that around though.

St Johnstone's grouping is not that much easier than yours. You have a 1/4 shot of the hardest possible team but I'd prefer most of your potential opponents to Rennes or LASK for instance.

6 minutes ago, DMCs said:

How would that be trolling?  The Belgian sides are ranked lower because they play in more competitive leagues where it's harder to qualify for Europe than Qarabag. Doesn't mean they are worse teams.

Compared to their own standard as the richest team in Switzerland, Basel have been dire recently. Good win on the weekend and Esposito seems a good signing so potentially they are turning that around though.

St Johnstone's grouping is not that much easier than yours. You have a 1/4 shot of the hardest possible team but I'd prefer most of your potential opponents to Rennes or LASK for instance.

The weird one for me is that St Johnstone seem to be getting a harder draw if they drop into the Conference than if they get past Galatasaray and stay in the Europa.

Their five options in the Europa are AZ, Zorya Luhansk, Antwerp, Sturm Graz and Randers, while their four options in the Conference are Anderlecht / Laci, Rennes, LASK / Novi Sad and Maccabi Tel-Aviv / Spartak Trnava. Probably not a lot in it, but just seems odd.

45 minutes ago, DMCs said:

I'm not arguing about whether Aberdeens potential draw was tougher than other teams. Just the opinion on certain teams

The Belgian sides are ranked lower because they haven't performed better in Europe. Gent qualify regularly for Europe and would be ranked higher if they had done better. Anderlecht as one of the richest clubs in Belgium have had a disastrous few years and not even made Europe the last couple of seasons. The Belgian league is hardly full of big hitters and they should at the very least be in Europe every season.