The Famous Aberdeen - European Tour 2021/22

tarapoa

6 minutes ago, TheDon99 said:

It was job done, but we were pretty poor today.
Brown and Ferguson were missing tackles and giving the ball away a lot and I would say that aside from the sitter Ojo played better than both of them. I was also pretty disappointed to see how much Brown and the team lost control after they scored/ after their red card.
Thought this was a good chance to see what Jenks could bring but he and Ramirez were pretty anonymous once JET was off. Making me pretty worried about our depth up front.

Slightly harsh on Ramirez - he made the chance that ojo fucked and had another great ball in late in the game. 

Aberdeen look like they'll be playing the icelandic side next - and you would expect Aberdeen to be beating them fairly comfortably. I would say Swedish opposition would be tougher and they've managed to dispatch of them. It's a great chance to get to the play-off round and be two games away from european group stage football.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Should have been 2 down inside 4 minutes. Then they scored with pretty much their next 2 chances. 

In between that, we saw JET create then miss a great chance, and Ojo turn into a rank virgin from 4 yards out. You arsehole. 

There's a real and obvious worry about a team that runs at us right through the middle of the park. While Brown has an influence, he's as slow as a week in jail. Add in Considine and McCrorie, who both look they're towing caravans and who's first movement is ALWAYS to back off, and we have a problem. 

The worry is that under Glass Aberdeen will be great when things are all going hunky dory, but vulnerable when it starts going downhill a bit. 

He needs to get this sorted out.

Guest Bob Mahelp
41 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Aberdeen look like they'll be playing the icelandic side next - and you would expect Aberdeen to be beating them fairly comfortably. I would say Swedish opposition would be tougher and they've managed to dispatch of them. It's a great chance to get to the play-off round and be two games away from european group stage football.

It's a great chance to get through that's true, but no way should we be underestimating Icelandic football.  

If we're as open next Thursday as we were tonight, this team could pick us off easily. 

It's yet to be seen if Glass is capable of putting out a side that close a game down and grind a result out. 

Lot of negativity which I don't get. We still not match fit but there was a lot to like on attacking front. It was the worst draw we could have got but the main thing is we are through.

I think Austria Vienna would have qualified easily if up to match fitness.

Not going to be easy game either as we won't be up to match fitness yet but hopefully better for having 3 games

Hopefully AFC are bombarded with messages to force RedTV to never ever allow Steve Cowan to appear again.

Hopefully the sitter doesn’t impact Ojo’s confidence. Thought he was good again today.

What a difference our MF is without Dean Campbell in it.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

So are we allowed away fans next week?

Iceland is on the green list, so in theory we can travel there. 

I suppose that it's up to Breadpudding if they decide to sell tickets to Dons' fans. 

Looking past Iceland and to the next round - as you must, when playing Icelandic opposition (Unless you're Ing-Ger-Lund, obviously) - it would go without saying that a trip to Kazakhstan is to be avoided, even before tonight. Kairat😱 surprisingly had to endure the Red Star Belgrade tannoy guy playing Steve McGarrett's theme music last night, but their trio in the Conference League despatched Steaua, Hajduk and Aris this evening. That's a stonkingly impressive bag of victims for this round. All three Kazakh sides have far less celebrated opposition in Q3. Clearly the likes of Roma and Spurs are best swerved at the final hurdle, but there are some teams of enticingly dubious pedigree destined for the seeded hat in that draw.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth

I recall Kairat pumping Red Star home and away just before we played them.

Looks like the dish was served cold this week in Serbia - but as stated Kazakh clubs took some serious scalps in the Conference this evening.

Edited by tarapoa

57 minutes ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Looking past Iceland and to the next round - as you must, when playing Icelandic opposition (Unless you're Ing-Ger-Lund, obviously) - it would go without saying that a trip to Kazakhstan is to be avoided, even before tonight. Kairat😱 surprisingly had to endure the Red Star Belgrade tannoy guy playing Steve McGarrett's theme music last night, but their trio in the Conference League despatched Steaua, Hajduk and Aris this evening. That's a stonkingly impressive bag of victims for this round. All three Kazakh sides have far less celebrated opposition in Q3. Clearly the likes of Roma and Spurs are best swerved at the final hurdle, but there are some teams of enticingly dubious pedigree destined for the seeded hat in that draw.

Greek sides performing horrendously. Astana were seeded to beat Aris but Velez Mostar knocking out AEK Athens was a huge shock. Wouldn’t be totally surprised if Bohemians knock out seeded PAOK In the next round.

Imagine AFC vs Bohemians for a place in the group stages.

Edited by O_Kahn

Certainly not a European performance that will live long in the memory. We shouldn't have lost the match and we shouldn't have ended up with nil.

However, if ever there was a match to expose your deficiencies then it was tonight. The tie was already over as a contest after the first leg. The Swedes weren't very impressive over the two matches but they may have underestimated us before the first leg. That might've been the reason that, at the moment they appeared to be reviving the tie tonight, they then allowed their frustrations to get the better of them.

I don't want to underestimate Breidablik, but this is a rare opportunity for Q3 unseeded Aberdeen to go in as favourites for the PO. We simply must get through. If nothing else, it will improve our co-efficient and increase our chances of future Q3 seeding.

However, we aren't equipped squad wise to deal with the Conference group stages. That doesn't mean I don't want us to qualify for the group stages but we would definitely need to bolster the squad.

9 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

However, we aren't equipped squad wise to deal with the Conference group stages. That doesn't mean I don't want us to qualify for the group stages but we would definitely need to bolster the squad.

Agree - central defender (with pace), another forward and probable replacement for Ferguson all requirements.

26 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Full list of potential opponents for both Aberdeen and Hibs.

That isn't completely scary................all very difficult (assuming the seeds progress), but only 5 or 6 look insurmountable.

Edited by tarapoa