Curling Thread

Caledonian1

Apologies if this has been done before - a quick search didnt reveal anything in recent times.  Has there been a Curling thread before?

Whilst I play a bit, I am by no means an expert and not that great.  It is a sport I really enjoy and I like to think it fills a void in the winter after the golf season (only got 5 matches this year before lock-down though)

I really believe that Curling is almost the perfect sport for watching on TV - at the top level the tactics and the execution of shots is astonishing.  I was going to say that it's an easy sport for broadcasters to cover but we currently have the situation at the Ladies World Championship where there is no TV coverage for 4 or 5 days due to reports of Covid-19 affecting some of the broadcasting team. Unfortunately  matches are only on youtube curling channel and with the tournament being played in Calgary it is often the middle of the night here.

Scotland are currently in fourth equal place in the World Champs league format (13 teams so 12 matches in 7 days before the play-offs and final this Sunday) We had a poor defeat to Korea but recovered to beat Italy last night.  The Russians (RCF) are currently top with Switzerland and the fantastic Swedes are just behind them. Top 6 qualify for the Olympics so lets hope Eve and her team can remain near the top so that they can join the Mouat mens team in Bejing.

Anyone else play or love watching it on TV?

• 6 months later...

For those interested Scotlands men and women both topped the group stage of the European Championships - meaning both top seeds going into the semi finals.

Eve Muirheads rink are playing Germany in 5 minutes time and its shown on the BBC website

The men (have won 9 out of 9) will play their semi tomorrow and finals are on Saturday.

Scotland play Norway in the semi-final at 12:30 today - live on BBC website.  Winner plays Sweden in final tomorrow evening

Womens team beat italy last night and will play Sweden in the final tomorrow lunchtime - that is live on BBC website too

Scotland have a decent chance of winning both European titles....would set them up for the Olympics in Feb (although Eve Muirheads rink still need to qualify in December - shouldnt be an issue on current form)

Scotland ended up winning both the men’s and women’s European championships!!! Well done to Eve Muirhead, Bruce Mouat and their teams.

Attention now turns to the Olympic qualifying event in the Netherlands which starts next Saturday 11th December. The men won’t participate as they have already qualified but Muirhead’s new look team are yet to book their place in Beijing. 

The tournament is a 9 team affair with a slightly strange format.

The round robin takes place over six days. Eve’s rink will face Czech Republic, Turkey, Korea, Japan, Germany, Estonia, Latvia and Italy in that order.

There are three berths available at the olympics.

- The team that tops the round robin table will advance directly to the olympics. Teams ranked 5th-9th are out.

- The teams ranked 2nd and 3rd will then play-off, with the winner taking the second available spot at the olympics.

- The team ranked 4th will then face the loser of the 2/3 playoff with the winner of that taking the final Olympic spot. 

Based on world rankings, you’d expect Korea, Japan and GB to be the favourites to take the three places. Germany, Czech Republic and Italy will hope to emerge as dark horses with Turkey and the two Baltic nations being outsiders. 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

8-4 defeat to Korea means the Japan game tonight is pretty must win. 1-3 would be a mountain to climb.

Yes, its looking dodgy for qualification now.  Absolute must win tonight....then probably need to win at least three of last four matches.  Need to show the form that made them European Champions a couple of weeks ago.

I am following on the world curling Federation website (where you see shot placement only) dont suppose this is on tv anywhere?

38 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Yes, its looking dodgy for qualification now.  Absolute must win tonight....then probably need to win at least three of last four matches.  Need to show the form that made them European Champions a couple of weeks ago.

I am following on the world curling Federation website (where you see shot placement only) dont suppose this is on tv anywhere?

https://the.recast.app/video/5zrQX