30 minutes ago, central staggie said:

Callum Morris is possibly the only other I'd add to that list. I'd personally go for Laidlaw.

Hjelde YPOTY for me.

Another one who sadly seems perma-crocked.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Pretty obvious it should be Tavernier and Turnbull for me. Doig is a good player but he's hardly a generationally talent like Turnbull is.

One of the main reasons Celtic have been so bad this season is that Turnbull and Brown are so bad defensively that McGregor has been left to do everything. Teams have driven artic lorries through that Celtic midfield at times. Can’t help but feel his deficiencies in this area is one of the main things stopping him from playing for Scotland.

He’s a good player but he’s far from flawless and a mile away from being a generational talent.

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Pretty obvious it should be Tavernier and Turnbull for me. Doig is a good player but he's hardly a generationally talent like Turnbull is.

Surely it's based on who's had a better season and not who's going to be a better player?

Just now, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Then it's  hardly Turnbull's fault he's being asked to anchor a midfield, when that's blatantly not the best use of his abilities, is it? Celtic managed fine for years with Tom Rogic playing an important part of their team.  

He wouldn't be playing holding midfield for Scotland anyway. If he was to play it would be in McGinn's position ahead of the holding 2, and McGinn is a liability at times defensively in his own right. 

He’s not being asked to anchor the midfield. He is being asked to press and hold tactical shape though.

Forward players also need to be good defensively. Turnbull might develop that yet - it’s not hard to fix. He simply hasn’t yet.

The difference between McGinn and Turnbull off the ball is night and day. McGinn is one of the hardest workers in the team.

Celtics defensive issues were likely more down to playing some weird mangled shape, their main two full backs (Kenny/Laxalt) being fucking woeful as 1v1 defenders, and Scott Brown losing every fraction of agility he had left, more than anything wrong with Turnbull.

His athleticism is his weak spot, and at this stage looks like it might prevent him reaching the EPLs highest level, but it seems overplayed to me tbh. 

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Celtics defensive issues were likely more down to playing some weird mangled shape, their main two full backs (Kenny/Laxalt) being fucking woeful as 1v1 defenders, and Scott Brown losing every fraction of agility he had left, more than anything wrong with Turnbull.

His athleticism is his weak spot, and at this stage looks like it might prevent him reaching the EPLs highest level, but it seems overplayed to me tbh

Turnbull's athleticism was absolutely fine at Motherwell. He got up and down the park no bother and he was lasting the 90 mins this season after his surgery.

Far be it from me to say but there's every chance that was down to the fact his (then) manager placed an importance on that side of the game. If you listen to the interviews Robinson gave during Turnbull's breakthrough season he was constantly pointing out that the reason he hadn't been introduced earlier was down to him having to work on the defensive side of his game.

Lennon has pretty much fucked him in the short term because he's an absolute shitshow of a manager and Turnbull's far from the only player whose fitness levels have dropped under him. Arguably Turnbull was in better shape at Motherwell this season than after a few months playing under Lennon and Kennedy.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think that the very nature of YP means that it is unlikely that they perform well all season - with the odd exception.

I think Doig has done ok, but wouldnt chuck myself out the window if someone else got it. I have always admired Ferguson in the Aberdeen midfield and he would be my choice if I wasnt a partisan fucker.

Paterson is a decent player, but has he actually played enough to merit nomination..........

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Lennon has pretty much fucked him in the short term because he's an absolute shitshow of a manager and Turnbull's far from the only player whose fitness levels have dropped under him. Arguably Turnbull was in better shape at Motherwell this season than after a few months playing under Lennon and Kennedy.

Yeah this is my thoughts on it, tbh. You see it with Greg Taylor aswell, who looks nowhere near what he was at Killie physically.

Always hefty rumours Lennon didn't bother turning up for training half the time, and players were often left on the training ground themselves. A few of the players seemingly had to hire personal coaches to try and keep their fitness up too. 

4 hours ago, G51 said:

One of the main reasons Celtic have been so bad this season is that Turnbull and Brown are so bad defensively that McGregor has been left to do everything. Teams have driven artic lorries through that Celtic midfield at times. Can’t help but feel his deficiencies in this area is one of the main things stopping him from playing for Scotland.

He’s a good player but he’s far from flawless and a mile away from being a generational talent.

There is merit to this but I'm not sure if I'd agree it's a deficiency necessarily rather than just "not his game".  It's hard to play with a true #10 these days but at Motherwell he was given much less responsibility defensively as part of 3 and license to do pretty much what he wanted in an attacking sense.  Even with Lennon not using him right and them being a shambles tactically in general he's still been probably their best or second best player this season.

I stand by the "generational" talent tag though. Technically he's a level above everyone else that's came through in Scotland over the last decade or so, and I expect him to start racking up mental numbers for Celtic next season once Christie and Rogic etc have probably made way.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Surely it's based on who's had a better season and not who's going to be a better player?

I think Turnbull has had a better season than Doig

On 06/05/2021 at 17:34, G51 said:

He’s not being asked to anchor the midfield. He is being asked to press and hold tactical shape though.

Forward players also need to be good defensively. Turnbull might develop that yet - it’s not hard to fix. He simply hasn’t yet.

The difference between McGinn and Turnbull off the ball is night and day. McGinn is one of the hardest workers in the team.

McGinn may be more effective off the ball, but Turnbull has a lot more talent on the ball.

As someone else stated, wasn’t a problem with Rogic in that role and he couldn’t tackle a cardboard cut out. 

On 06/05/2021 at 16:58, G51 said:

To me a generational talent is a Messi/Ronaldo/Mardona - to say that Turnbull is or ever will be anywhere near that standard based on his career to date is absolutely mind-blowing.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

To me a generational talent is a Messi/Ronaldo/Mardona - to say that Turnbull is or ever will be anywhere near that standard based on his career to date is absolutely mind-blowing.

I meant a generational talent in terms of Scottish football sorry. You could maybe make an argument for Billy Gilmour who I haven't seen much of but other than him I think Turnbull is the most talented Scottish footballer in at least a decade.

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I meant a generational talent in terms of Scottish football sorry. You could maybe make an argument for Billy Gilmour who I haven't seen much of but other than him I think Turnbull is the most talented Scottish footballer in at least a decade.

Because he can hit the target from outside the box 3 times in 10?

4 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Better than Tierney and Robertson?

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yes

I think that’s quite a bold claim for a player that has played only a couple of seasons. But I’m assuming you’ve seen a lot of him so are probably better placed to judge him than I am.