39 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think that’s quite a bold claim for a player that has played only a couple of seasons. But I’m assuming you’ve seen a lot of him so are probably better placed to judge him than I am.

I've watched him since he was 16 in our u20s. He's as natural a footballer as you'll find.

Is he a better left back than either Robertson or Tierney? No. Does he have the ability to be Scotland's best midfielder? Absolutely zero doubt, he does.

It's worth bearing in mind that he's 21 so he's 2 years younger than Tierney and 6 years younger than Robertson (and has missed a full season due to his "preventative surgery"). For perspective at 21 Robertson had just moved to Hull. Turnbull's walked into (an admittedly dugmeat) Celtic side and is probably their best midfielder.

As I say, and I think most Motherwell fans who've watched him would agree, he has a ceiling that is way above Celtic and Scottish football.

Does that mean that Turnbull's going to win the EPL and Champions League? Nah but put him under the guidance of an elite level manager (as Tierney was with Rodgers and Robertson with Klopp) and IMO you'd be looking at a generational player (in Scottish terms). Even a manager like Howe and a group of players around him who haven't absolutely chucked it then as @YassinMoutaouakil said earlier in the thread you'd see him return some daft numbers compared to this season with a pair of goofballs like Lennon and Kennedy.

Edited by capt_oats

Can only really echo the good brother @capt_oats's post there.

It's a bold claim but I do genuinely believe Turnbull is technically at least on a par with Tierney and Robertson and a level above the likes of Armstrong, McGinn etc whose career paths he'd probably look to emulate. I'm not necessarily saying he's going to have better careers than them or anything as there's a massive degree of luck and (mis)fortune in these things, and admittedly he doesn't have the same natural engine that they do- although I do think that's overstated a bit. 

This is probably the best crop of Scotland midfielders in years- guys like McGregor, McLean, Jack and the other two I've mentioned above are all good players for our level- but I honestly think Turnbull has a higher ceiling than all of them, which I think is worthy of the "generational" tag.

I do appreciate that it looks as if I'm jumping in two footed to defend him just because he's a Motherwell youth product but that's  honestly not the case. (Please see my opinions on Chris Cadden and, to a lesser extent, Allan Campbell)

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've watched him since he was 16 in our u20s. He's as natural a footballer as you'll find.

Is he a better left back than either Robertson or Tierney? No. Does he have the ability to be Scotland's best midfielder? Absolutely zero doubt, he does.

It's worth bearing in mind that he's 21 so he's 2 years younger than Tierney and 6 years younger than Robertson (and has missed a full season due to his "preventative surgery"). For perspective at 21 Robertson had just moved to Hull. Turnbull's walked into (an admittedly dugmeat) Celtic side and is probably their best midfielder.

As I say, and I think most Motherwell fans who've watched him would agree, he has a ceiling that is way above Celtic and Scottish football.

Does that mean that Turnbull's going to win the EPL and Champions League? Nah but put him under the guidance of an elite level manager (as Tierney was with Rodgers) and IMO you'd be looking at a generational player (in Scottish terms). Even a manager like Howe and a group of players around him who haven't absolutely chucked it then as @YassinMoutaouakil said ealrier in the thread you'd see him return some daft numbers compared to this season with a pair of goofballs like Lennon and Kennedy.

I’ve no doubt he has potential, and he will likely go on to have an excellent career, you can see his ability.

I was questioning the claim that he is the most talented Scottish player in the last decade.

I’m not sure if the comparison of Robertson moving to Hull was with a purpose to play down his ability at 21, but that was a Hull team playing in one of the top 2/3 leagues in world football.

Tierney at 21 had 4 seasons of top flight experience with multiple winners medals and Champions League experience.

I’m not saying for a minute that Turnbull won’t be a very good player, but can I see him playing with Arsenal or Liverpool by the age of 23? Probably not.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Better than Tierney and Robertson?

Better than they were when they played in Scotland.  They have subsequently stepped up another level.  So possibly big shoes to fill but if provided the right environment (is Celtic it?) I would expect him to get there.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’ve no doubt he has potential, and he will likely go on to have an excellent career, you can see his ability.

I was questioning the claim that he is the most talented Scottish player in the last decade.

I’m not sure if the comparison of Robertson moving to Hull was with a purpose to play down his ability at 21, but that was a Hull team playing in one of the top 2/3 leagues in world football.

Tierney at 21 had 4 seasons of top flight experience with multiple winners medals and Champions League experience.

I’m not saying for a minute that Turnbull won’t be a very good player, but can I see him playing with Arsenal or Liverpool by the age of 23? Probably not.

Totally get that and without wanting to speak for the good brother @YassinMoutaouakil I think the point is that in terms of natural talent and ability Turnbull is up there with both Robertson and Tierney at the same age and I'm quite comfortable saying that.

Whether he goes on to have as good a career as either, who knows.

Edited by capt_oats

Turnbull is 21, has played 80 league games, and averages a goal every 258 mins, so is a better than 1 in 3 goalscorer.

That includes breakthrough moments as a sub, a season written off due to injury, and this season in a clownshoe side with morons in charge.

He could quite comfortably end next season with over 30 goals and assists IMO, if the players around him are elite he could potentially reach 40.

Gilmour, McTominay and Turnbull could he an absolutely unreal CM trio if they all peak around the same time.

That's the four nominees out for PFA Young Player OF the Year, not sure it warranted a new thread?

Patterson (Rangers)

McCann (St Johnstone)

Doig (Hibs)

Turnbull (Celtic)

Surely Patterson hasn't played nearly enough.  Turnbull has had a decent second half of the season, he will be a strong contender next season if he's still eligible, but playing in a really poor side who've achieved nothing might count against him.  Arguably has the greatest potential, but the vote is for performance this season...

Between Doig and McCann for me.  Seen far more of McCann and he has been magnificent in centre midfield. His ability to nick the ball from opponents, to retain possession with simple effective passing and his all round composure make him a standout.  Doig looks a very exciting prospect at left back, particularly good going forward on my limited viewing of him.  Hibbees - has He been good all season?