8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think they'll go with four Rangers players for PotY but I'm not sure a Celtic player will be included.

I certainly wouldn’t have an issue with all of the POTY nominations coming from Rangers, but Patterson is an utterly ludicrous nomination for YPOTY.

Tavernier, Goldson, McGregor, Davis and Kent all have strong claims to the POTY award, never mind the shortlist. 

Maybe Nisbet or Boyle get in just so it’s not an all-Rangers shortlist, but it would be a bit of a SNUB to whichever two miss out.

Edited by G51
edited for additional tabloid speak

Our POTY would be a straight shootout between Lafferty and Burke. I'd probably give it to Lafferty, which is absolutely ludicrous given how briefly he's been at the club. 

We have no viable candidates for YPOTY as the youngest player in our team is 34 and they're all absolutely dreadful. 

34 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think they'll go with four Rangers players for PotY but I'm not sure a Celtic player will be included.

You can't exclude Shane Duffy, he's been a standout for us this season. 

In my opinion, Josh Doig is the outstanding candidate and should win YPOTY at a canter.

Its Sod’s law that with Scotland having Robertson and Tierney who are outstanding left backs, we now have Hickey and Doig coming through - effectively in 2/3 years time we could have 4 excellent left backs playing in the ‘Big 5’ leagues.

Doig has had an excellent grounding at Hibs and hopefully he stays there, as first choice, for at least another season. Hopefully he then makes similar, sensible decisions to the other 3 I’ve mentioned and when the time is right for him to leave Hibs, he moves away from Scotland.

Finally, we’ll done to the lad on an outstanding season 👏 👏.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Nathan Patterson has made 3 starts and 4 substitute appearances in the 36 league games that Rangers have played. He has been nominated for Young Player Of The YEAR.  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I would genuinely guesstimate he has had more mins playing monopoly since the season started than on the pitch for the first team.

Young player. Patterson simply hasn't played enough, he does look like he's going to be an excellent right back but lacks the game time to win it. Lewis Ferguson is my choice, he's played well and helped to carry an underperforming sheep side.

Player of year.  Trying to narrow it down isn't easy.

Tavernier has played above himself this season, Goldson has been magnificent at the back, Shagger and Davis have both been outstanding despite their ages and Kent has been more consistent and really stepped it up, Morelos has became a team player and his work rate and link up play has been so important for us.

I reckon that Goldson edges it and Is my player of the year.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

In January our POTY options consisted of a field of one: Tony Watt. Since then he's got competition from Liam Kelly and Devante Cole.

I'd probably still have Watt as POTY as he's been consistent over the season whereas the other two have only really turned up since January (literally in Kelly's case as he only signed for the club then) but Kelly is probably safely our MVP.

Assuming YPOTY is under 23 (per the eligibility criteria I just read on the SWFA YPOTY wiki) - Allan Campbell.

Aye. This. 

Watt's put a shift in for the whole season but I absolutely would give mention to Liam Kelly saving our season and Cole showing that playing players in their natural position is a hell of a concept. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Aye. This. 

Watt's put a shift in for the whole season but I absolutely would give mention to Liam Kelly saving our season and Cole showing that playing players in their natural position is a hell of a concept. 

I think Cole has edged out Watt for me over the last few games.

Cole being the central striker is the change that started to make us look like we had a proper attack rather than just 3 guys fucking about up the front. Scored plenty assisted plenty.

For PotY i think Tavernier is the shout. Rangers have been solid at the back and he has been a huge threat going forward and scored a quite ridiculous amount of goals.

YPotY. Turnbull probably gets it

48 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Are the votes a;ready in?

Like the Manager of the Year? (which will doubtless go to Gerrard, even if St J win the Scottish Cup as well)

Agreed. Gerrard will win it, but if St J even get to the final Davidson should win it IMO. Winning the league cup, getting to the Scottish cup final and getting top 6 with St J is a better achievement relatively speaking than winning the league with Rangers*.

I see the nominations are Gerrard, Davidson, Steve Clarke and Martindale. Pretty decent shouts although I would probably have John McGlynn or Dick Campbell instead of Martindale. Maybe even Jack Ross as a contender (but not winning it) if Hibs win the Scottish and finish 3rd.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sky have put the list of candidates for young player of the year up this morning...

Would think the POTY nominees will be up soon.

So who would win what for you? And who deserves these awards at your club?

For us, McCann will stroll the YPOTY award. POTY will be a lot tougher, but I think Wotherspoon deserves it. Inevitably lost form a wee bit now, but he dragged us through the early struggles this season.

Ferguson should be nowhere near the YPOTY, and Doig as far as I'm aware has only been getting good write ups in the last month or 2....he seemed pretty average early in the season. 

Patterson is in in case the currants moan, so I suspect that it'll go to Turnbull. 

The POTY will go to some Rangers' player, I don't think there'll be much doubt about that. 

As for Aberdeen's YPOTY, I'd give it to Dean Campbell. POTY should go to Marley Watkins, or be retired for this season. 

Ethan Erhahon at 19 has played 30 games in the Premiership as a sitting midfielder, scoring 2 goals and helped his team to 2 Cup semis. Yet Patterson with 3 starts gets a nomination????????

I'll be expected to put my vote for Turnbull however i saw a stat recently that apparently he is within the top 3 players for chances created in Europe this season. Not half bad for a boy who didnt get a game until November but also shows up just how shit we have been in front of goal also.

Would have no complaints if Doig won either

As said above, all nominees for the "football writers" awards now out. The "Scots only" criteria only applies to the youth award, for some reason?

Manager of the Year

Steven Gerrard, Callum Davidson, Steve Clarke, David Martindale

Player of the Year

Allan McGregor, Connor Goldson, James Tavernier, Steven Davis

Young player of the Year

Nathan Patterson, Josh Doig, David Turnbull, Lewis Ferguson 

Obviously hope Davidson wins it, but suspect it'll be Gerrard, Tavernier, and Doig, and couldn't really argue with that.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Doig is the best option imo.

For County? Josh Reid who's already gone is about the only option, I'd guess with Grivosti perma-crocked.

POTY: It's picking who has been the least shite for County. Naismith, Shaw or Laidlaw are the only real options imo.

4 hours ago, Comrie said:

Doig is the best option imo.

For County? Josh Reid who's already gone is about the only option, I'd guess with Grivosti perma-crocked.

POTY: It's picking who has been the least shite for County. Naismith, Shaw or Laidlaw are the only real options imo.

Callum Morris is possibly the only other I'd add to that list. I'd personally go for Laidlaw.

Hjelde YPOTY for me.