4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yep - Watt for our POTY. A number of players have looked decent since Alexander came in but there were times in grimmest part of the season where - in contrast to toys being chucked out of prams and players whoring themselves to other clubs in the press -  Watt was literally the only one trying to pull us through games or spark something.

He came to us with his reputation for downing tools and being difficult or whatever - but his attitude has been tremendous and he's turned out to be great signing.

Alan Campbell to win the Alan Campbell Award as his last act for us - great player who I hope goes on to get what he deserves down south.

Max Johnstone’s one game is the only thing competing with Campbell.

I'd give it to Doig. Ferguson would have been the obvious candidate if the season finished in October but he has been off the boil for months. Turnbull didn't play for months. Has come on to a game but enough to be considered? I don't think so.

Patterson is just daft.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Presumably no one is ignored.  The Writers vote and these are the top 4.  Someone is fifth. The winner has already been decided and will be announced sometime?  Does it work any other way?

Years back, I was lucky enough to have been invited to a couple of the 'Writers awards nights and seen it first hand* - and everyone would be far too pished to do any voting on the night.

*I chatted with Phil O'Donnell and later had a pish standing next to Arthur Montford - greatest night of my life.

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Ali McCann is Northern Irish, you can't pick and choose your nationality depending on the circumstances. I think it changed a lot further back than 2019 btw.

I know I'm drowning in pedantry, but it's not to do with nationality. It's to do with eligibility to play for a national team. Ali McCann was nominated last year not because he was Scottish or Northern Irish, but because he was still eligible for Scotland U21s. That's no longer the case this year.

Turnbull and Goldson will probably win it you'd think, For County our young player of the year is probably Shaw if he counts as being young enough, if not it'll be Hjelde and our POTY is either Laidlaw or Naismith.

Edited by staggy1929

For St Mirren the POTY will be between Alnwick, Fraser and McGrath. Alnwick has been a rock. A very pleasant surprise considering we were sure we could not find a better replacement for Hladky. Fraser has been Mr Consistency. 7/10 every game.  McGrath is Mr Cool. Slots away penalties but there is much more to his game than that. As a creative midfielder he has suffered playing with some dumplings in front of him who do not know what running off the ball means. Not much between them.

YPOTY will be Ethan because there is no-one else. While he started the season well he has gone down hill since then and not pushed on as much as I had hoped. He is young and still has loads of areas of his game to improve on. Hope he does.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

For St Mirren the POTY will be between Alnwick, Fraser and McGrath. Alnwick has been a rock. A very pleasant surprise considering we were sure we could not find a better replacement for Hladky. Fraser has been Mr Consistency. 7/10 every game.  McGrath is Mr Cool. Slots away penalties but there is much more to his game than that. As a creative midfielder he has suffered playing with some dumplings in front of him who do not know what running off the ball means. Not much between them.

YPOTY will be Ethan because there is no-one else. While he started the season well he has gone down hill since then and not pushed on as much as I had hoped. He is young and still has loads of areas of his game to improve on. Hope he does.

I think Erhahon is entitled to be a bit upset at not making the shortlist. He has tailed off a little but he’s still very good. I think he’ll be a brilliant player in the future.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I think Erhahon is entitled to be a bit upset at not making the shortlist. He has tailed off a little but he’s still very good. I think he’ll be a brilliant player in the future.

I hope so too. He certainly has the potential. Think he regularly needs a kick to push him on as he becomes complacent.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I hope so too. He certainly has the potential. Think he regularly needs a kick to push him on as he becomes complacent.

Question for St Mirren is when do you cash in on him. Contracts up in 2023, so it’s not an easy calculation.

Just now, G51 said:

Question for St Mirren is when do you cash in on him. Contracts up in 2023, so it’s not an easy calculation.

There was a Twitter hint from him earlier in the season, when Magennis went to Hibs, that Ethan was hoping for a move down South. Doubt he'll sign an extension beyond 2023. Clubs have already been monitoring him which is no surprise. Can see him leave in the next 12 months so we get something for him and it wouldn't be a shock if it was this summer.

Doig YPOTY for me.

Between Tavernier and Goldson for POTY.

As for POTY candidates, you could go all Rangers but dont think they will.

I think nominations will be Tavernier, Goldson, Martin Boyle and one of Kent or Davis.

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Nathan Patterson has made 3 starts and 4 substitute appearances in the 36 league games that Rangers have played. He has been nominated for Young Player Of The YEAR.  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Steven Gerrard called him "one of the brightest prospects ever" as a right back....so there is that!

Surely guys like Porteous, Campbell or Erhahon are way more deserving. 

10 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Steven Gerrard called him "one of the brightest prospects ever" as a right back....so there is that!

Surely guys like Porteous, Campbell or Erhahon are way more deserving. 

Porteous is a definite contender for St Johnstone's POTY.

Aye, but they can't not have a Rangers player in both categories.  Who else could they include from Rangers? They're hardly known for giving youth a chance.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, but they can't not have a Rangers player in both categories.  Who else could they include from Rangers? They're hardly known for giving youth a chance.

They absolutely can have no Rangers* players in the YPOTY since they barely have any regular Scottish players and those they do have (Jack and McGregor) are above the age threshold.

It is an individual award, Rangers* domination of the league shouldnt really sway it one way or the other.

And for clarity, I fully expect a Celtic player (Edouard or Ajer most likely) to be in the POTY nominations because they think there has to be some form of 50-50 booking to appease the Old Firm in these sort of things.

2 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

They absolutely can have no Rangers* players in the YPOTY since they barely have any regular Scottish players and those they do have (Jack and McGregor) are above the age threshold.

It is an individual award, Rangers* domination of the league shouldnt really sway it one way or the other.

And for clarity, I fully expect a Celtic player (Edouard or Ajer most likely) to be in the POTY nominations because they think there has to be some form of 50-50 booking to appease the Old Firm in these sort of things.

Of course they can have no Rangers players in the YPOTY, but they wouldn't do that.