Sky have put the list of candidates for young player of the year up this morning...

Would think the POTY nominees will be up soon.

So who would win what for you? And who deserves these awards at your club?

For us, McCann will stroll the YPOTY award. POTY will be a lot tougher, but I think Wotherspoon deserves it. Inevitably lost form a wee bit now, but he dragged us through the early struggles this season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Doig will win it for us and probably Boyle or Nisbet will win our POTY.

Out of that shortlist it’s probably pretty close between the three outside Patterson (who should be nowhere near it). I’d say Doig purely because I’m biased as f**k. 

For the avoidance of doubt this is the same Sky Sport that cant be bothered to change the Celtic wallpaper when covering a non-old firm game?

Should probably be Doig for his persistence of ripping us a new one but will more than likely go to one of the old firm.

Marcus Fraser for POTY for Saints & Erhahon for YPOTY. McGrath & Alnwick will likely be in for player of the year as well but Fraser would be my vote.

Doig should win the league award going by that list. I’ve no doubt Turnbull will win it as Celtic need to win something.

Accies: Odoffin probably for PotY and Hamilton for YPotY

League: hard to really judge considering I just turn off whenever Celtic or Rangers are winning so I'll go with Odoffin for PotY and Hamilton for YPotY

Ferguson only gets nominated for these awards because of his name and highlight reel. That's not to say he's bad, but I don't think similar (or better) footballers would get the same coverage.

16 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

SKY genuinely don't give a toss.

It's not Sky to blame: it's the Scottish Football Writers award.

Lewis Ferguson won it last year when he was playing better.  David Turnbull's already won it too (although he's had a good season). Still, hardly an exciting set of selections, other than inexplicably ignoring McCann, who's had another standout season with  a cup-winners medal and full international recognition, in favour of Patterson, who's been banned for nearly as many games as he's played.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Ali McCann isn't eligible for the Football Writers Young Player of the Year because it is for Scottish players only.

McCann is Scottish though. Anyway, didn't a foreign player win it for Dundee years ago? Have they changed the rules?

EDIT: I see they changed the rules in 2019.

Edited by Mr Heliums

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Ali McCann isn't eligible for the Football Writers Young Player of the Year because it is for Scottish players only.

Yeah, I just remembered him being nominated last year and wondered what happened.

Obviously hadn't been capped by NI last season.

My mistake.

In January our POTY options consisted of a field of one: Tony Watt. Since then he's got competition from Liam Kelly and Devante Cole.

I'd probably still have Watt as POTY as he's been consistent over the season whereas the other two have only really turned up since January (literally in Kelly's case as he only signed for the club then) but Kelly is probably safely our MVP.

Assuming YPOTY is under 23 (per the eligibility criteria I just read on the SWFA YPOTY wiki) - Allan Campbell.

Patterson shouldn’t be on the list, hasn’t played enough minutes. 

Doig is the obvious contender. Ferguson hasn’t been very good this year and while he’s been good overall, the massive flaws in Turnbull’s game have been exposed pretty regularly.

League POTY will be Tavernier and it won’t be close.

Turnbull will likely win the Football Writers YPOTY - good player but is being hindered by playing for a diddy team in the league. Could do with making a step up to unlock his full potential.

In terms of our own POTY awards, I think there's a few candidates worthy.

For POTY - I'd imagine Tavernier, McGregor, Goldson, Davis and Kent will be up there. In January Tavernier was a stick on for it, but teams became a bit more aware of his threat and adapted accordingly and coupled with his injury it's more open. I'd personally go with him or Goldson and one of those will win the League POTY award as well.

YPOTY I'd go with Hagi

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In January our POTY options consisted of a field of one: Tony Watt. Since then he's got competition from Liam Kelly and Devante Cole.

I'd probably still have Watt as POTY as he's been consistent over the season whereas the other two have only really turned up since January (literally in Kelly's case as he only signed for the club then) but Kelly is probably safely our MVP.

Assuming YPOTY is under 23 (per the eligibility criteria I just read on the SWFA YPOTY wiki) - Allan Campbell.

Yep - Watt for our POTY. A number of players have looked decent since Alexander came in but there were times in grimmest part of the season where - in contrast to toys being chucked out of prams and players whoring themselves to other clubs in the press -  Watt was literally the only one trying to pull us through games or spark something.

He came to us with his reputation for downing tools and being difficult or whatever - but his attitude has been tremendous and he's turned out to be great signing.

Alan Campbell to win the Alan Campbell Award as his last act for us - great player who I hope goes on to get what he deserves down south.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sky have put the list of candidates for young player of the year up this morning...

I'll try and pretend it's not incredible that Ali McCann is ignored, considering the season he's having, as its entirely unsurprising a kid at the OF is ahead of him after playing about 200 minutes in the league.

Would think the POTY nominees will be up soon.

So who would win what for you? And who deserves these awards at your club?

For us, McCann will stroll the YPOTY award. POTY will be a lot tougher, but I think Wotherspoon deserves it. Inevitably lost form a wee bit now, but he dragged us through the early struggles this season.

Presumably no one is ignored.  The Writers vote and these are the top 4.  Someone is fifth. The winner has already been decided and will be announced sometime?  Does it work any other way?

It's not Sky to blame: it's the Scottish Football Writers award.
Lewis Ferguson won it last year when he was playing better.  David Turnbull's already won it too (although he's had a good season). Still, hardly an exciting set of selections, other than inexplicably ignoring McCann, who's had another standout season with  a cup-winners medal and full international recognition, in favour of Patterson, who's been banned for nearly as many games as he's played.
Fair enough bud, that makes it even worse. I seen it was on SKY and assumed it was their version and then my head detached from my body, good and proper.

From Saint Mirren Erhahon has been a stand out young player for us. Fraser has been our best overall with Alnwick pushing him really close and Tait 3rd.