The Bass Thread

A Squier precision copy. And a weird Japanese 60s hollow body called Commodore. One of those guitars that could be worth a fortune or only valuable as firewood. 

Looks like the last time a commodore was on EBay it fetched £300

Sorry to inform you that you’re not fabulously wealthy but don’t burn it

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Looks like the last time a commodore was on EBay it fetched £300

Sorry to inform you that you’re not fabulously wealthy but don’t burn it

That's not bad. I bought it for £35 in the 80s, and spent about £50 ten years ago getting some repairs done. It's very easy to play, but couldn't be used live....very weak sound and feeds back at even low volume. 

53 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:
That's not bad. I bought it for £35 in the 80s, and spent about £50 ten years ago getting some repairs done. It's very easy to play, but couldn't be used live....very weak sound and feeds back at even low volume. 

The laws of physics mean it’s really hard to build a good acoustic bass instrument that’s significantly smaller than a double bass

This is fun to play
IMG_2015.jpg
But what I really want is an octobass

Is The Octobass The World's Rarest Classical Music Instrument? | Red Bull  Music Academy Daily | Music instruments, Classical music, Instruments

image.jpeg

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

I'm a reasonably competent rhythm guitarist, but looking to learn bass. Is it something that's simple enough to transfer knowledge to? 

Your left hand is effectively playing lead because it’s one note at a time but you’re right hand is playing rhythm (unless you’re left handed)

The big question to ask yourself is whether you’re going to play with your fingers like a “proper” bassist or with a pick like a guitarist

Personally I hate playing with a pick but who are you going to listen to? Me? Or Lemmy?

Look for Bass Buzz on YouTube for beginner to intermediate lessons

Or for a bluffer’s guide

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I'm a reasonably competent rhythm guitarist, but looking to learn bass. Is it something that's simple enough to transfer knowledge to? 

Definitely quite straightforward to transfer the knowledge as the notes are in the same places, if that makes sense.

The hardest thing for me was the sheer size of the bass and the thickness of the strings - I get round that these days by playing higher up the neck, but that's just me, and I like high-up-the neck bass anyway - Chris Squire played high up the neck a lot, and he's one of my favourite players. 

McCartney is the govnor, though. 

Definitely quite straightforward to transfer the knowledge as the notes are in the same places, if that makes sense.
The hardest thing for me was the sheer size of the bass and the thickness of the strings - I get round that these days by playing higher up the neck, but that's just me, and I like high-up-the neck bass anyway - Chris Squire played high up the neck a lot, and he's one of my favourite players. 
McCartney is the govnor, though. 

If the sheer size of it is a problem then it’s worth considering a short scale Bass (30 inches as opposed to 34)

McCartney famously plays a little Hofner Violin Bass with a short scale

IMG_1620464534.120668.jpg

So they’re not just for short people

Aye, I bought my Gretsch bass  as it has a short scale neck, and it's fine - I prefer my Peavey bass, though, which is full scale, but has a slim playable neck. 

I'd always said that if I ever got a bass, I would get a Hofner violin bass, but I suddenly needed a bass in a hurry, and there were no Macca basses in the shop. :(

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Al B said:

You can string a 5 string bass with either an extra low string or an extra high string. What's best for you will depend on what kind of music you're interested in playing, and what you already play.

If you're used to playing 4 string bass, and you don't have any real need to go any lower, just string it E A D G C with the extra high string that you'll probably never use.

That's a good way of telling a bass player from a guitar player who's playing bass. A guitar player would tune that E A D G B with the 5th string flattened to a 3rd (B rather than C) because thats how those 5 strings are tuned on a guitar, but bass is usually tuned in straight 4th's.

I’m sticking  with a low B because I’m playing in a Jazz big band and there’s plenty of people taking up space in the mid range 

they don’t need me noodling about up there

On 25/07/2021 at 18:27, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’ve acquired a five string bass

any advice on how to transition without losing my sanity in the process 

You can string a 5 string bass with either an extra low string or an extra high string. What's best for you will depend on what kind of music you're interested in playing, and what you already play.

If you're used to playing 4 string bass, and you don't have any real need to go any lower, just string it E A D G C with the extra high string that you'll probably never use.

That's a good way of telling a bass player from a guitar player who's playing bass. A guitar player would tune that E A D G B with the 5th string flattened to a 3rd (B rather than C) because thats how those 5 strings are tuned on a guitar, but bass is usually tuned in straight 4th's.

Well, I've fucked that up 🤣. Decided to delete my reply and re-post it so I could quote you and you'd get a notification of a response, but you were too quick and now my re-post has put it all in the wrong order 🤣.

In your case then, with the extra low B, it's really just about playing until you start to feel comfortable with it. In my experience the width of the neck threw me off more than having a low B string....that being said, it's not nearly as weird as the feeling when you go back to a 4 after getting used to a 5!

If you're a jazz big band bass player, I'm assuming you'll be well aware of Adam Neely? Quite possibly my favourite Youtube channel there is.

Edited by Al B

Just now, Al B said:

Well, I've fucked that up 🤣. Decided to delete my reply and re-post it so I could quote you and you'd get a notification of a response, but you were too quick and now my re-post has put it all in the wrong order 🤣.

In your case then, with the extra low B, it's really just about playing until you start to feel comfortable with it. In my experience the width of the neck threw me off more than having a low B string....that being said, it's nit nearly as weird as the feeling when you go back to a 4 after getting used to a 5!

I keep picking it up, playing something I know and then realising I’m in the wrong key

I’ve gone from a P-Bass  style neck to a Jazz bass with closer string spacing  so the neck’s about the same width but  the right hand is the tricky bit

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread.

I play bass in The Substitutes, we're a covers band for The Who.

I say covers, there's no fancy wigs or dressing up or any of that shite...😎🤣

I note Al B's attendance here, fellow 'Well fan...👍

Self taught, know little to nought theory wise, started 5's initially, now solely playing  4 string, Precisions mainly, including two self-builds.

Will follow this thread with interest...👍