Montrose vs Thistle - Title Party - 4th May

12 hours ago, banditjag said:

Wondering, what has been the difference the last few seasons? Manager, coaching, do you have something the other Angus clubs don't have to attract players? Of course most clubs in Scotland live in a constant cycle of shite/mediocrity with occasional periods of good football and moderate success and there is normally something obvious to the fans of that club what or who has made the difference. Just wondering what that is with Montrose, I hear quite a number if people singling out Stu Petrie but that's usually outside observers.

The fans survey for the past two years, I think, put the Mo fans as the happiest out of all 42 clubs.

I blame the board for this, really, they are fine lads without the shit biggsie attitudes.

Also the community trust has worked well for the club

Also, we have a great atmosphere amongst the players and fans

Also we have Hamish (Google fars Hamish)

Also we have Stewart Petrie, the best Fifer ever to walk into Angus

Also we had 22 years of being utter pish, and once there was a clear out and purge we reached utopia

"Also we had 22 years of being utter pish, and once there was a clear out and purge we reached utopia."

Actually I don't remember there being much of a purge and a clear out. It was more of a reboot with Petrie bringing in some really good additions.

An East Fife fan talks about lower league football being a "roller coaster ride" in which there is a cycle of good and bad managers and transfer windows, which bring seasons of success and time in the doldrums.

I take issue with this because other than brief moments of cash-fuelled success, Montrose fans have had little to cheer since their heyday of the early-mid 1970's. Rather than being a roller-coaster, it feels more like we are ascending from an abyss.

Montrose have rarely, other than during the brief false dawn of Bryan Keith's intervention, had money to throw at problems or buy success.

This has meant less boom and bust and arguably to us being a stronger, healthier and more resilient club than some others, you don't need me to mention.

I don't take any of the Mo's success for granted. It is the result of the dedicated hard work of a number of people associated with the club. It couldn't have happened without them and of course that effort needs to be sustained and built upon if it is to continue into the future.

5 hours ago, Brummo said:

"Also we had 22 years of being utter pish, and once there was a clear out and purge we reached utopia."

Actually I don't remember there being much of a purge and a clear out. It was more of a reboot with Petrie bringing in some really good additions.

An East Fife fan talks about lower league football being a "roller coaster ride" in which there is a cycle of good and bad managers and transfer windows, which bring seasons of success and time in the doldrums.

I take issue with this because other than brief moments of cash-fuelled success, Montrose fans have had little to cheer since their heyday of the early-mid 1970's. Rather than being a roller-coaster, it feels more like we are ascending from an abyss.

Montrose have rarely, other than during the brief false dawn of Bryan Keith's intervention, had money to throw at problems or buy success.

This has meant less boom and bust and arguably to us being a stronger, healthier and more resilient club than some others, you don't need me to mention.

I don't take any of the Mo's success for granted. It is the result of the dedicated hard work of a number of people associated with the club. It couldn't have happened without them and of course that effort needs to be sustained and built upon if it is to continue into the future.

All sounds very positive. 

There has been, the past few years a huge disconnect between our board and some fans, (no idea how many but from engagement with friends and in social media, I'm guesstimating half or more). Of course this disconnect has been fuelled by shite football, Whittier management performances, old board ousting jlow and chums, then bringing in McCall, then jlow and chums returning and what seems like a fairly disjointed fan ownership model. Results dictate, to an extent anyway, how fans and board view each other.

In the past few months, when we returned from football lockdown, results and performance have improved and I get the feeling much of the anti jlow chat has been subdued. What has helped is McCall turning our performance and results around and his obvious good relationship with jlow and the bod.

Very positive from Montrose is the buy in from fans board and manager, sounds very harmonious........for now

2 hours ago, banditjag said:

All sounds very positive. 

There has been, the past few years a huge disconnect between our board and some fans, (no idea how many but from engagement with friends and in social media, I'm guesstimating half or more). Of course this disconnect has been fuelled by shite football, Whittier management performances, old board ousting jlow and chums, then bringing in McCall, then jlow and chums returning and what seems like a fairly disjointed fan ownership model. Results dictate, to an extent anyway, how fans and board view each other.

In the past few months, when we returned from football lockdown, results and performance have improved and I get the feeling much of the anti jlow chat has been subdued. What has helped is McCall turning our performance and results around and his obvious good relationship with jlow and the bod.

Very positive from Montrose is the buy in from fans board and manager, sounds very harmonious........for now

I agree, this could all change in the future but if we continue with the community work and continue to develop it then it aces less importance on having the right manager in place or a successful team on the park. That obviously  helps but it shouldn't be the only focus.