Montrose vs Thistle - Title Party - 4th May

Thought James Lyon looked decent enough, has a lovely first touch, he is tiny though. McCall said in post match interview he expects him to break through next season, could see him being alright with Bannigan and Docherty behind him. 

Other than that, should have won it really but a combination of Murray having some kind of stroke when through 1 on 1 with 5 minutes to go, Rudden forgetting to fall until 2 seconds after he was fouled resulting in a Montrose counter attack rather than a free kick at the edge of box , and Sena getting rinsed at the byline has resulted in this website crashing for a bit for some reason... 

Anyway, all the best to Montrose in the playoffs, by far the pick of the 4 away days. 

Actually quite a fun game to watch, although I doubt I would have thought that if we needed to get some kind of result from it. Lots of daft mistakes and howlers, especially from us.

Fair play to Montrose for making the playoffs again. One of a small number of teams in this division who actually try and play some football, and it would be great for you to join us in the Championship next year. Best of luck.

Okay, Partick Thistle may not have been going full throttle but as some of their fans pointed out, the Mo try and play football. We lack a Megginson or a Rudden, so it can be a bit frustrating seeing nice passages of play come to naught. Although Rusty got MOTM, I thought Rennie played well and it was really good to seem him finally score, following his return to the Mo.

Irrespective of the outcome of the playoffs, and despite the disrupted sleep of a 1am kickoff (local time), it has overall been so enjoyable being able to watch the Mo this season. They have played some really good football and been well worth the cost of a season ticket without being able to attend games.

It doesn't seem so long ago that on mental health grounds, I wouldn't check the Montrose score until Sunday afternoon, to avoid spoiling my weekend.

That is how bad it was a few seasons back. When fans do return, I really hope the town and its hinterland get behind this club and turn out and support the team. After this season (so far), such support is richly deserved.

Oh, and...

Let's bring the "Seaside" to the "Big Time"!

Edited by Brummo
Gilding the lily

5 hours ago, Brummo said:

Okay, Partick Thistle may not have been going full throttle but as some of their fans pointed out, the Mo try and play football. We lack a Megginson or a Rudden, so it can be a bit frustrating seeing nice passages of play come to naught. Although Rusty got MOTM, I thought Rennie played well and it was really good to seem him finally score, following his return to the Mo.

Irrespective of the outcome of the playoffs, and despite the disrupted sleep of a 1am kickoff (local time), it has overall been so enjoyable being able to watch the Mo this season. They have played some really good football and been well worth the cost of a season ticket without being able to attend games.

It doesn't seem so long ago that on mental health grounds, I wouldn't check the Montrose score until Sunday afternoon, to avoid spoiling my weekend.

That is how bad it was a few seasons back. When fans do return, I really hope the town and its hinterland get behind this club and turn out and support the team. After this season (so far), such support is richly deserved.

Oh, and...

Let's bring the "Seaside" to the "Big Time"!

Wondering, what has been the difference the last few seasons? Manager, coaching, do you have something the other Angus clubs don't have to attract players? Of course most clubs in Scotland live in a constant cycle of shite/mediocrity with occasional periods of good football and moderate success and there is normally something obvious to the fans of that club what or who has made the difference. Just wondering what that is with Montrose, I hear quite a number if people singling out Stu Petrie but that's usually outside observers.

48 minutes ago, banditjag said:

Wondering, what has been the difference the last few seasons? Manager, coaching, do you have something the other Angus clubs don't have to attract players? Of course most clubs in Scotland live in a constant cycle of shite/mediocrity with occasional periods of good football and moderate success and there is normally something obvious to the fans of that club what or who has made the difference. Just wondering what that is with Montrose, I hear quite a number if people singling out Stu Petrie but that's usually outside observers.

As Petrie says, it's a team effort including back room staff. The club and community trust just seem to be getting so much right. There seems to be a really good ethos about the club. The synthetic pitch has allowed many people in the community to have some connection with the club from toddlers to walking football. Corporate hospitality also seems popular. As well as having a good manager and coaching staff, Montrose also seems to have good directors who have the club's best interests at heart.

Stewart Petrie does seem to be a talismanic manager who has good connections with other clubs and unlike in the past, the vast majority of our loan players have been real assets rather than liabilities. 

In Sean Dillon, we have a seasoned professional who is still capable of putting in a very decent shift. He also has a coaching role and has clearly helped develop our back line.

The coaching set up with Ross Campbell and others also seems to have resulted in a very fit and cohesive unit.

Finally, Stewart Petrie speaks about "the gaffer" a.k.a. Dick Campbell. I think Stewart is willing to listen and learn from people like Dick Campbell, who can bring out the best from players and knows the game, particularly at this level, inside and out.

Yes, we are definitely in a purple patch just now but I like to think that it doesn't all hinge on the "Petrie Factor". I would hope there could be really positive culture and ethos embedded in the foundation of what has been built up since our darkest hour of the League Two relegation playoff, that will continue long after Stewart Petrie moves on.

That said, it's going to have to be one helluva second album!

Really interesting point that the Community Trust users, are to some extent converting to fans.... I hadn't thought of that.

The community engagement programme during the pandemic has been brilliant.....

I do hope the town rally behind the club even more so now (I live in Aberdeen now, but am a season ticket holder) - if everyone who turned up for the title party turned up every week, we'd be laughing all the way to the bank.