Kilmarnock v St Mirren

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm confused as to when you think he would have been sent off, I don't remember any missed yellow cards.

Deliberate hand ball after he’d been previously booked, sticking his head onto JDH in pretty much an aggressive manner. The guys a helmet but he’s also a very decent player.

I hope Killie stay up because it's one if the better fixtures. Decent crowd, usually reasonably well matched teams and usually a decent enough game. Wanting Killie down so we can play against Ross County and Dundee instead is crazy talk.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

I hope Killie stay up because it's one if the better fixtures. Decent crowd, usually reasonably well matched teams and usually a decent enough game. Wanting Killie down so we can play against Ross County and Dundee instead is crazy talk.

Kinda agree but they're overdue a relegation.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I see the confusion now. Despite lots of people think it should be, deliberate handball is not usually a yellow card. The only real reasons you'll get one are handling the ball to try to score a goal (ie punching it into the net) or to stop a promising attack. Lafferty's incident was neither of those, he was trying to bring the ball under control.

https://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/32/section/94/

1674851468_Screenshot2021-05-13at11_50_15.thumb.png.6f6ffc9dfde842e3aca795e5133a74a7.png

As Wee Bud said, it's covered by the first one.

He clearly attempted to gain an unfair advantage by deceiving the referee.

The key points in most laws of the game are 'in the opinion of the referee'  and was it deliberate.

18 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

How did Ryan Flynn get on?

Made a mental note to reply to this. Though, disclaimer, I was holding the baby and watching on an illegal stream on my phone, so it's not conducive to detail player analysis... but I thought he looked tidy enough. I'd say he wasn't the full Flynn - perhaps lacking sharpness, but he did what we all know he can do - protect the ball, move it along quickly and efficiently, help us keep ticking over. It did leave me wondering if he could have played a role at the weekend.

I'd honestly like to see him given another year, but wouldn't surprise me if a top-end Champ side offered him two years and I certainly wouldn't blame him for taking it. The flip side of that is whether we could use his wage towards a guaranteed, experienced midfield starter, in which case you'd probably wish him all the best.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Made a mental note to reply to this. Though, disclaimer, I was holding the baby and watching on an illegal stream on my phone, so it's not conducive to detail player analysis... but I thought he looked tidy enough. I'd say he wasn't the full Flynn - perhaps lacking sharpness, but he did what we all know he can do - protect the ball, move it along quickly and efficiently, help us keep ticking over. It did leave me wondering if he could have played a role at the weekend.

I'd honestly like to see him given another year, but wouldn't surprise me if a top-end Champ side offered him two years and I certainly wouldn't blame him for taking it. The flip side of that is whether we could use his wage towards a guaranteed, experienced midfield starter, in which case you'd probably wish him all the best.

Cheers, as you say I was asking as I thought we could have done with him on Sunday. Looks like he played a lovely ball to Connolly for our first goal but switched off for Killie's third.

It's a no brainer for me to offer him another year, he's a different style of player to any of our other centre mids and can cover a few other positions well too.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's not covered by the first one at all, that's got nothing to do with handball. There are two bullet points which cover handball specifically.

Sorry, but you are wrong....."attempts to deceive the referee"  or cheating in other words, is a cautionable offence.

All you have quoted is an example, 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Sorry, but you are wrong....."attempts to deceive the referee"  or cheating in other words, is a cautionable offence.

Just saw it there & I would have booked him for that, we got away with one.

18 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Just saw it there & I would have booked him for that, we got away with one.

Not sure it would have changed anything last night, but having him available for the weekend is obviously huge for you.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure it would have changed anything last night, but having him available for the weekend is obviously huge for you.

Yep, there is a big difference between starting him or George Oakley.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I used to be a referee, and I am very aware of what the laws of the game mean. Handling the ball is not an "attempt to deceive the referee" - that rule is specifically related to diving or other attempts to feign injury.

7 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

As Wee Bud said, it's covered by the first one.

He clearly attempted to gain an unfair advantage by deceiving the referee.

The key points in most laws of the game are 'in the opinion of the referee'  and was it deliberate.

Should players be booked for claiming corners etc when they know they touched the ball last? That would be classed as deceiving the referee, no?

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Should players be booked for claiming corners etc when they know they touched the ball last? That would be classed as deceiving the referee, no?

Or in Obika's case last night, waving his arms furiously while on the ground in his claims for a penalty when Broadfoot slid in and took the ball in the box..... A further example of a player attempting to deceive the referee.

When I was a boy many moons ago players got booked for ungentlemenly conduct that is any attempt to cheat or decieve the ref All changed now

Edited by Danny

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I used to be a referee, and I am very aware of what the laws of the game mean. Handling the ball is not an "attempt to deceive the referee" - that rule is specifically related to diving or other attempts to feign injury.

Good for you Craig.

I was a referee for over 15 years and when I did the job that was  a booking, harsh maybe, but still a booking.

I am aware, as Danny pointed out, that things may have changed since I hung up my whistle.

Lets agree to disagree eh?