Tenterhook Tuesday - the play-off places

Promises to be some night for the nerves for Stirling Albion, Elgin City and Stranraer fans on Tuesday.

Queen’s Park have the title in the bag already but they have a role to play in who makes the play-offs as they travel to face Elgin, currently 4th.

Edinburgh City are in the play-offs but could finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th. They travel to Stranraer, currently 5th.

Stirling Albion lie third, but they have completed their fixtures. They are 1 point ahead of Elgin and Stranraer and all three are on the same goal difference. But, as both Elgin and Stranraer have scored more goals than the Binos, a point for either of these two will move Stirling down a place in the table. If both Elgin and Stranraer take at least a point, Stirling move down two places and drop out of the play-off spots.

And another strange possibility - if both Elgin and Stranraer lose, the team which loses by a smaller margin will be 4th. If both lose by the same margin the table won’t change and Stranraer will miss out.

Stirling Albion can finish 3rd, 4th or 5th. Elgin and Stranraer can finish anywhere between 2nd and 5th. Edinburgh City, as above, can finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th.

Think I’ve got that all right...?

Sportsound on Saturday night - more interested in a meaningless Glasgow Derby!

1 hour ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Promises to be some night for the nerves for Stirling Albion, Elgin City and Stranraer fans on Tuesday.

Queen’s Park have the title in the bag already but they have a role to play in who makes the play-offs as they travel to face Elgin, currently 4th.

Edinburgh City are in the play-offs but could finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th. They travel to Stranraer, currently 5th.

Stirling Albion lie third, but they have completed their fixtures. They are 1 point ahead of Elgin and Stranraer and all three are on the same goal difference. But, as both Elgin and Stranraer have scored more goals than the Binos, a point for either of these two will move Stirling down a place in the table. If both Elgin and Stranraer take at least a point, Stirling move down two places and drop out of the play-off spots.

And another strange possibility - if both Elgin and Stranraer lose, the team which loses by a smaller margin will be 4th. If both lose by the same margin the table won’t change and Stranraer will miss out.

Stirling Albion can finish 3rd, 4th or 5th. Elgin and Stranraer can finish anywhere between 2nd and 5th. Edinburgh City, as above, can finish anywhere between 2nd and 4th.

Exciting stuff, can't wait for it.

Not much between ourselves and Edinburgh in the previous meetings this season. 

We're fortunate that we know what we need to do. Go and win and we're fine. Don't need to worry about the other permutations.

Your right with Sportsound. Only acknowledgment was to notify listeners that details of League 1 and 2 could be found online. Poor given all that's still to play for in both league.   

26 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Exciting stuff, can't wait for it.

Not much between ourselves and Edinburgh in the previous meetings this season. 

We're fortunate that we know what we need to do. Go and win and we're fine. Don't need to worry about the other permutations.

Your right with Sportsound. Only acknowledgment was to notify listeners that details of League 1 and 2 could be found online. Poor given all that's still to play for in both league.   

Wait till the Colts join...

4 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Well explained. All this just to get into the playoffs!

Have being impressed with Stranraer this season, can count themselves unlucky not to have more points, Stirling best away day in league, recruited well this season, should have scored more goals, Elgin up their on merit, a free scoring team on their day but inconsistent since the restart, Edinburgh City, always A dogged team and good on counter, lot of improvement since new manager come in, will be rooting for Stirling, cause i fear no promotion will be disaster and lead to stronger recruitment next season, good luck to all, its a hard league to get out of

Another scenario - Stranraer and Elgin have the same margin of result but Stranraer score two more goals, level on points, goal difference and goals scored. Would that need a tie breaker game?

It goes on head-to-head so Elgin would come out on top.

Being an Albion fan looking at tonight’s games, I’d be surprised if we made the playoffs after tonight’s results. Expect both Elgin and Stranraer to do the business.
It’s sad we have to hope Queens and City do us a favour, but we have ourselves to blame for the position we are in, our home form at Forthbank has been poor to put it kindly.
If we do by some miracle get into playoffs, then I don’t expect to do much.

2 hours ago, SuperCowden said:

Have being impressed with Stranraer this season, can count themselves unlucky not to have more points, Stirling best away day in league, recruited well this season, should have scored more goals, Elgin up their on merit, a free scoring team on their day but inconsistent since the restart, Edinburgh City, always A dogged team and good on counter, lot of improvement since new manager come in, will be rooting for Stirling, cause i fear no promotion will be disaster and lead to stronger recruitment next season, good luck to all, its a hard league to get out of

Aye, we brought in good players for league 2 last summer, but we weren't able to build a team. If we squeak into the play offs I doubt we're solid or consistent enough to get promoted.

Edited by AlbionMan

Since the league resumption in March, we’ve simply run out of steam after looking strong prior to that. Whatever happens tonight happens, keep my fingers crossed it’s us but even if it is, can’t see us winning them.

4 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Where did you find this?

Rule C35 - it's very wordy but buried in amongst it is "the higher placed Club shall be the Club, having the greater number of points in League Matches between the relevant Clubs in the Season in question".

So teams 2-4 finish on 38 points and the Binos miss out 

I think after QP the Binos are the best team City have played this season which doesn't mean that any play off matches against Stranraer and Elgin are foregone conclusions. It may seem odd but from a City point of view I'm just glad to avoid the Binos.

Any of the three could do it. I think we're all knackered as well!

Meanwhile Dumbarton won tonight so our lovely cultured pals from Cumbernauld will have to beat East Fife on Thursday to avoid the play offs  

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

So teams 2-4 finish on 38 points and the Binos miss out 

I think after QP the Binos are the best team City have played this season which doesn't mean that any play off matches against Stranraer and Elgin are foregone conclusions. It may seem odd but from a City point of view I'm just glad to avoid the Binos.

Any of the three could do it. I think we're all knackered as well!

Meanwhile Dumbarton won tonight so our lovely cultured pals from Cumbernauld will have to beat East Fife on Thursday to avoid the play offs  

Edinburgh is the only side in the top 4 we beat in 12 tries, we didn't deserve to be in the play offs. Good luck to all three of you.