Airdrieonians vs Falkirk

If it makes Falkirk fans feel any better / worse (delete as appropriate) I've put money on a Thistle draw or lose in every game since the East Fife match and tonight is the first game I'm not going to bother so it's more or less guaranteed we'll lose to Montrose now. 

6 hours ago, 9queens said:

Agree

Thistle's thoroughly undeserving play off success under Dick Campbell proves that a dire team can come through 4 games v. superior opponents. 

The problem with the ‘Falkirk can still go up’ chat is that it doesn’t account for the fact that a good number of there players appear to have completely chucked it, and are simply going through the motions till the end of the season - at least if last Thursday is anything to go by. Durnan’s “defending” on Thistle’s fourth goal is evidence of that for me, plus the fact that only one player (Morrison) seemed even remotely frustrated or bothered at being 5-0 down in a game which could have had them back in the title race. I also don’t know what’s happened to Blair Alston as I remember him being decent enough, but he was worse than a man down. 

As you say, really shite teams can get promoted, but if Falkirk are to get promoted, then they’ll need to get an awful lot of players back on side in a short space of time. I don’t see it happening.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

6 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

To bring a sense of realism to this, I worry that Airdrie beating Falkirk is seen as a forgone conclusion, which it absolutely is not. 

Yes, there has been an unbelievable collapse by Falkirk, yes Airdrie are hitting form at the right time, but I hate it when something is almost taken for granted as that's usually when you get bit in the arse. 

Technically, Airdrie can still finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Technically Falkirk could still beat us, win the play offs and get promoted. Might sound crazy to many but it's still possible, no matter how sh!te Falkirk seem right now. And one thing is for sure, not a single Falkirk fan would complain if that miracle happened and Airdrie fans would once again return to their miserable seaside league state of mind. 

I've been here too many times before to relax about this. Airdrie's form in the playoffs is nothing short of abysmal. 

So whilst I'm quietly more optimistic than I've been in a long time, I won't forget the past form and also won't forget that as recently as a month ago most Airdrie fans were up in arms about how we'd blown it and wanting Murray to GTF. 

On the one hand I try to remind myself that the perception of fans on the internet has no actual bearing on the outcome of the game, that jinxes don't exist and that fans taking it for granted makes hee-haw difference so long as players and staff don't do the same. 

On the other, I'm a football supporter who refers to some replica shirts as 'lucky taps'. 

I expect Falkirk to be better tonight than they have been in a while, as it is last chance saloon time for them, but however much of a foregone conclusion we or any Falkirk fans act like this is won't make a single bit of difference in reality. 

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

On the one hand I try to remind myself that the perception of fans on the internet has no actual bearing on the outcome of the game, that jinxes don't exist and that fans taking it for granted makes hee-haw difference so long as players and staff don't do the same. 

On the other, I'm a football supporter who refers to some replica shirts as 'lucky taps'. 

I expect Falkirk to be better tonight than they have been in a while, as it is last chance saloon time for them, but however much of a foregone conclusion we or any Falkirk fans act like this is won't make a single bit of difference in reality. 

The reason we have a hint of a chance tonight is that despite the chat about prize money, or being better placed for the fixtures, Airdrie are safe in the playoffs and in general terms, those things mean nothing to the players, who will probably subconsciously take a few % off, knowing the toughest most hard fought, and most important games of the season are about to come thick and fast. On that basis, and also that Montrose have to beat Partick, a turgid nothing of a match ending in a draw is a distinct possibility. We are however, bad enough to make it conceivable that we play for a draw and still find a way to chuck on in at 90 + 2. 

Honestly I cant decide what I think is likely, all I know is that no level of utter terribleness from this team would now be a surprise. 

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The reason we have a hint of a chance tonight is that despite the chat about prize money, or being better placed for the fixtures, Airdrie are safe in the playoffs and in general terms, those things mean nothing to the players, who will probably subconsciously take a few % off, knowing the toughest most hard fought, and most important games of the season are about to come thick and fast. On that basis, and also that Montrose have to beat Partick, a turgid nothing of a match ending in a draw is a distinct possibility. We are however, bad enough to make it conceivable that we play for a draw and still find a way to chuck on in at 90 + 2. 

Honestly I cant decide what I think is likely, all I know is that no level of utter terribleness from this team would now be a surprise. 

Yeah, It's inevitable that Airdrie won't be putting as much into the game as we would be if the playoffs were not already clinched. Both previous games were fairly narrow (despite a half hour of dominance first half) and if the Falkirk players care at all (don't laugh) then there is something for them if they just avoid defeat. 

The only result that would surprise me is a humping either way, based purely on previous games. The only team we've managed to batter this season is Clyde, we won't put out an entirely weakened side and it's usually a tight affair. I don't see Falkirk winning by 3 clear goals so, barring that, it's all eyes on playoffs wi Cove and just hope to avoid injuries or suspensions tonight. 

2 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah, It's inevitable that Airdrie won't be putting as much into the game as we would be if the playoffs were not already clinched. Both previous games were fairly narrow (despite a half hour of dominance first half) and if the Falkirk players care at all (don't laugh) then there is something for them if they just avoid defeat. 

The only result that would surprise me is a humping either way, based purely on previous games. The only team we've managed to batter this season is Clyde, we won't put out an entirely weakened side and it's usually a tight affair. I don't see Falkirk winning by 3 clear goals so, barring that, it's all eyes on playoffs wi Cove and just hope to avoid injuries or suspensions tonight. 

If you were to ask me what I think is likely, its a snails pace draw, with next most likely scenario being an Airdrie player going rogue, scoring a goal and us being utterly bereft of ideas what to do, based on the fact that this wasn't the script.

Edited by Bairnardo

On 03/05/2021 at 08:29, Reggie Perrin said:

Much as it would be a bit of a chuckle to relegate Morton we really are historically bad and it just won’t happen.

What about you relegate Morton and scrape through to the promotion...and then the BoD simply anoint Holt, because he saved the season, and fail to make any other changes? From the long term standpoint, a truly abysmal prospect as the happy clappers will cheerfully drop cash for the Season Tickets and this prop up the current dysfunctional regime.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

If you were to ask me what I think is likely, its a snails pace draw, with next most likely scenario being an Airdrie player going rogue, scoring a goal and us being utterly bereft of ideas what to do, based on the fact that this wasn't the script.

Haha, well I'd cheerily take that second scenario, but I imagine you're right; a draw seems the most likely outcome. If Robert gets a start, he might want to take the chance to showcase himself and produce a bit of magic, and if Thomson plays, he might fancy running at pace at the Falkirk defence, but I imagine most of our danger men will get a wee rest tonight. 

sad state of affairs when you not only expect to lose every game but lose heavily.

I'd be delighted with an unexpected draw.

seems a lot of folks think Partick will beat Montrose, I dont see it.

airdrie win, montrose win, falkirk to finish 5th and miss out on the play offs.

season horribilis over and next season to be yet more dry boak inducing marketing telling us what a great and big club we are 

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

Watching that Holt interview, where he spouts his usual absolute garbage, alongside even the thought of watching this team tonight, builds me up into a bit of a rage and reminds me that I strongly dislike nearly every Falkirk FC employee at the current moment.

As much as I’d like to go out and put a few past Falkirk, I think the sensible approach would be to rest a few of our key players ahead of the play offs. With this in mind I’d line up something like:

Currie

P McKay - Crighton - Kerr - Walker

Ritchie - Sabatini

Thomson - Stokes - Robert

Roy

I would still like to think that team would compete well enough, particularly given Falkirk’s recent form.

20 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Watching that Holt interview, where he spouts his usual absolute garbage, alongside even the thought of watching this team tonight, builds me up into a bit of a rage and reminds me that I strongly dislike nearly every Falkirk FC employee at the current moment.

They all, including Holt just look like they want the season over and that's why I think it will be tonight. 

To lose at home to Montrose and say the performance was okay shows how far we've plummeted in looking for false positives

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

A child's drawing of a dead baby would be a viewing improvement on our recent performances tbf

Just purchased the stream on the extremely naive basis that we'll somehow get our shit together tonight in preparation for actually making a decent fist of these play-offs

I don't think it's so much that players have chucked it to be honest. It's more a case of injuries meaning we have had to play kids who aren't ready for regular starts and have no confidence now what so ever, players that aren't fully fit and players that simply aren't anywhere near good enough. If we were putting out the following side we'd at least have a half decent chance.                        Mutch, miller, neilson,Dixon,Kelly,Morrison,gomis,telfer,Connolly,dowds,Sammon.

But we're not so the likes of Connolly, Dixon  and telfer will be replaced by complete dross and we'll get pumped.

I know it has been said so many times over Covid to the point it is completely meaningless, but all the same - it's a real shame fans haven't been in the ground the last few weeks, because if they had been during our almighty collapse, those both on and off the park would have been receiving entirely justified dogs abuse.