Airdrieonians vs Falkirk

It’s nice to be going into this with the pressure off. Like @AndyDD I’m not overly fussed how we approach this one. I’d be happy to rest certain players and if there are any players carrying knocks they should be rested IMO. But I also believe carrying momentum into the play-offs is a huge thing and it wouldn’t take that much to halt ours. Plus finishing 2nd with home advantage in the second leg(s) is just literally better than the converse in 3rd. But from the team on Saturday I think you could swap in Crighton for Fordyce, Thomson or O’Reilly for Carrick and Roy for Connell and still be competitive or somewhere close to our best. I suppose the big question is do we rest one of or both Paton or Turner? They’ve been the fundamental reason for turn around in form so taking them out the team could potentially stall us. But on the other hand we really can’t afford to have either of them missing the play-offs through injury or suspension. A big decision for Ian Murray but that’s why he’s paid the (not so big) bucks to manage our football club. FWIW he strikes me as naturally cautious so I think we’ll see some changes but still put out a half decent side. If I’m not mistaken we beat a Falkirk side in better form in December with a midfield of Kerr, Sabatini and Ritchie so no reason why a similar combination can’t do so again... Could always go full patter and see if this side could consign Falkirk to 5th.
                         McNeil 

Walker P.McKay Mbayo Burke 

J.McKay Ritchie Stokes Moore 

Hughes Pyott 

37 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It’s nice to be going into this with the pressure off. Like @AndyDD I’m not overly fussed how we approach this one. I’d be happy to rest certain players and if there are any players carrying knocks they should be rested IMO. But I also believe carrying momentum into the play-offs is a huge thing and it wouldn’t take that much to halt ours. Plus finishing 2nd with home advantage in the second leg(s) is just literally better than the converse in 3rd. But from the team on Saturday I think you could swap in Crighton for Fordyce, Thomson or O’Reilly for Carrick and Roy for Connell and still be competitive or somewhere close to our best. I suppose the big question is do we rest one of or both Paton or Turner? They’ve been the fundamental reason for turn around in form so taking them out the team could potentially stall us. But on the other hand we really can’t afford to have either of them missing the play-offs through injury or suspension. A big decision for Ian Murray but that’s why he’s paid the (not so big) bucks to manage our football club. FWIW he strikes me as naturally cautious so I think we’ll see some changes but still put out a half decent side. If I’m not mistaken we beat a Falkirk side in better form in December with a midfield of Kerr, Sabatini and Ritchie so no reason why a similar combination can’t do so again... Could always go full patter and see if this side could consign Falkirk to 5th.
                         McNeil 

Hughes Pyott 

Apart from Crighton replacing Kerr (probably won't risk him with the heavy schedule after his double hernia) and Roy may be replacing Connell who has a knock.   I think Murray wants momentum to build for the playoffs,  would like the second leg of the Cove game at home, although we beat them on Saturday I still think they are a very good side, and will take a monumental effort from our boys to get to the final...

as a side note I believe the second placed club gets £20 k more prize money then if you finish third, is that not motivation enough to beat Falkirk and also to boost the coffers in these difficult financial times...

15 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Can't see anything other than an Airdrie win, we are an absolute gang and tbh if we did make the playoffs we would get pumped out at the first hurdle. Just hoping our season ends tomorrow night. 

Can see us doing just like Saturday, start off ok, maybe even score but ultimately, unless we keep them to nil*, we will fold up like a cheap deck chair

* we wont, unless they are literally off hire for the playoffs

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

McNeil 

Hughes Pyott 

Falkirk maybe lost a bit of form but don't see that team worrying them, 

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Falkirk maybe lost a bit of form but don't see that team worrying them, 

This isn't that. Of course as an Airdrie fan you're under no obligation to follow our threads, but if you were, you'd know we are so far beyond a team that's just a wee bit off the boil. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

For maximum insult to injury we’ll get beat but sneak into the playoffs due to Montrose not winning. Morton will then absolute scud us.

Morton seem to be just as bad as us. We may well beat them but have no chance of getting past Cove or Airdrie.

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

McNeil 

Hughes Pyott 

Was with you about possible changes in midfield, until I failed to recognise some of other  players in your 11 , ( Burke and Moore ) and I guess it's a bit of a wind up? Finishing 2nd is worth so much more so I can see only a few changes for knocks/stamina.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Morton seem to be just as bad as us. We may well beat them but have no chance of getting past Cove or Airdrie.

Morton are unbeaten in their last 5 which includes Hearts and Motherwell. 

Across the last 12 games we are 8th in League One. Last 6 and 8 we are bottom. Morton may not be world beaters but we are genuinely one of the 5 or 6 worst teams in the SPFL.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If Falkirk win 2-0 (don't laugh) who finishes 3rd?

Goal Difference would be the same, but I don't know about goals scored or head to head.

Falkirk have scored 4 less than us and conceded the same, so a 2-0 win for them (or any score with Falkirk winning by 2 goals) would leave Airdrie in third place due to more goals scored.  So to leapfrog us the Bairns need to win by 3.

58 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

Falkirk have scored 4 less than us and conceded the same, so a 2-0 win for them (or any score with Falkirk winning by 2 goals) would leave Airdrie in third place due to more goals scored.  So to leapfrog us the Bairns need to win by 3.

Aye like that’s going to happen.

1 hour ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3532650

21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You guys have indeed seen much, much more of this Falkirk side than I have.

However, It's damaged you to such an extent that all capacity for objectivity has deserted you.  Promotion remains distinctly possible, although the odds are against it.

That's all.

Agree

Thistle's thoroughly undeserving play off success under Dick Campbell proves that a dire team can come through 4 games v. superior opponents. 

To bring a sense of realism to this, I worry that Airdrie beating Falkirk is seen as a forgone conclusion, which it absolutely is not. 

Yes, there has been an unbelievable collapse by Falkirk, yes Airdrie are hitting form at the right time, but I hate it when something is almost taken for granted as that's usually when you get bit in the arse. 

Technically, Airdrie can still finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Technically Falkirk could still beat us, win the play offs and get promoted. Might sound crazy to many but it's still possible, no matter how sh!te Falkirk seem right now. And one thing is for sure, not a single Falkirk fan would complain if that miracle happened and Airdrie fans would once again return to their miserable seaside league state of mind. 

I've been here too many times before to relax about this. Airdrie's form in the playoffs is nothing short of abysmal. 

So whilst I'm quietly more optimistic than I've been in a long time, I won't forget the past form and also won't forget that as recently as a month ago most Airdrie fans were up in arms about how we'd blown it and wanting Murray to GTF. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond