Airdrieonians vs Falkirk

2 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Are we actually wanting 5th? 

Given these jokers have precisely 0% chance of going up through the playoffs, and more than likely will be bodied by an atrocious Morton team in a most embarrassing manner, then yes. Yes we do wish to avoid more horror inflicted on us.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Given these jokers have precisely 0% chance of going up through the playoffs, and more than likely will be bodied by an atrocious Morton team in a most embarrassing manner, then yes. Yes we do wish to avoid more horror inflicted on us.

This is a bit irrational...”0% chance”.

11 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Buzzing for a released list next week after our last dose of humiliation on Tuesday.

I suppose even if our team is terrible there’s always something to look forward to and enjoy the debate about the rights and wrongs of the management decisions.

Just shows how dull life would be without FFC!

Are we actually wanting 5th? 

The choice is either get scudded by Airdrie or suffer on to get utterly embarrassed by a dreadful Morton team twice then there’s really no decision to be made.

Finishing 5 as well just might be the final wake up call to the minority of fans who still can’t see just how bad it is.

2 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Buzzing for a released list next week after our last dose of humiliation on Tuesday.

Hopefully exactly the same as the team lines most weeks. I would keep Dixon as you need some experience in the squad and Mutch as back up keeper and that's about it.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Considering that Morton would probably welcome Sammon with open arms as an improvement at striker, I wouldn’t say you’d be assured of losing...but recent form suggests it would be a chance.

What a turnaround since the last game. 

Even after that match, I was saying I expected Falkirk to stagger over the line and win the league. What  a dreadful prediction that was. It's hard to overstate just how badly they have spiraled since then, how badly their bottle crashed, how dreadful their results have been, how gutless their players have proven to be. I mean, surely an argument can be made that they have only gotten worse since they binned their managers?

For all their incompetence, did the players really like the two guys they had in charge? Have they spat the dummy since they were punted? 

I'm torn about how I'd like us to approach this one. I don't want our best players risked, but I do think there is some merit to finishing second even if the difference is marginal vis a vis the playoffs themselves. Keeping momentum going would also be handy, and then of course there's the added spice of the self-immolation on here and elsewhere amongst the Falkirk fans if they do finish 5th. I know they are trying desperately to pre-empt the slaggings and avoid looking like raging heidless frothers by pretending that, actually, they want to miss out on the playoffs, so as to somehow lessen the impact should it happen, but we all suspect the mask will slip if it actually comes to pass. 

Be a shame to lose the unbeaten record against them, but the priority has to be going into the playoffs in the best possible shape. Pressure off, some squad players getting a run out to try and prove their worth and an opponent in absolute disarray. Fancy us to win it and do Montrose yet another favour, but ultimately who cares; we've secured the playoffs with a game to spare. Capping our time in League 1 off with another victory over Falkirk would be a lovely wee cherry on top. 

7 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Even after that match, I was saying I expected Falkirk to stagger over the line and win the league. What  a dreadful prediction that was. It's hard to overstate just how badly they have spiraled since then, how badly their bottle crashed, how dreadful their results have been, how gutless their players have proven to be. I mean, surely an argument can be made that they have only gotten worse since they binned their managers?

For all their incompetence, did the players really like the two guys they had in charge? Have they spat the dummy since they were punted? 

I'm torn about how I'd like us to approach this one. I don't want our best players risked, but I do think there is some merit to finishing second even if the difference is marginal vis a vis the playoffs themselves. Keeping momentum going would also be handy, and then of course there's the added spice of the self-immolation on here and elsewhere amongst the Falkirk fans if they do finish 5th. I know they are trying desperately to pre-empt the slaggings and avoid looking like raging heidless frothers by pretending that, actually, they want to miss out on the playoffs, so as to somehow lessen the impact should it happen, but we all suspect the mask will slip if it actually comes to pass. 

Be a shame to lose the unbeaten record against them, but the priority has to be going into the playoffs in the best possible shape. Pressure off, some squad players getting a run out to try and prove their worth and an opponent in absolute disarray. Fancy us to win it and do Montrose yet another favour, but ultimately who cares; we've secured the playoffs with a game to spare. Capping our time in League 1 off with another victory over Falkirk would be a lovely wee cherry on top. 

I do get your point and understand why you'd view it like that. However, I'm firmly of the view that if us finishing 5th is what is necessary for the scale of our collapse and mismanagement to be beyond ignoring - even to the happiest of clappers among us - and the catalyst for real change, in the long-run, it would be a price worth paying.

26 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Hopefully exactly the same as the team lines most weeks. I would keep Dixon as you need some experience in the squad and Mutch as back up keeper and that's about it.

Nah they can go too. Thanks Paul for your service at the club and doing a solid job overall but, as yesterday....

Get them all to f*ck

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I do get your point and understand why you'd view it like that. However, I'm firmly of the view that if us finishing 5th is what is necessary for the scale of our collapse and mismanagement to be beyond ignoring - even to the happiest of clappers among us - and the catalyst for real change, in the long-run, it would be a price worth paying.

Haha, I'll admit to having a wee bit of devilment in mind when typing that, and I can see your argument to an extent; clearly there is a rot at your club that might only be sorted by dint of action on the back of dramatic failure. That's fair and I'll take you at your word, but it does look a bit like some pre-emptive 'Well, we didnae even want to be in the playoffs anyway' stuff is at play, at least for some supporters. 

There was all this talk about how the investment change earlier in the season was a turning point, about how things were finally going to be sorted out behind the scenes. There was jubilation on the Falkirk thread when that was going down. There was talk, too, about how crucial it was to get out this league, even if it meant grinding out results whilst playing poorly. Of course, that only lasted as long as Falkirk had a buffer of points at the top. Now that getting out the league can only be done via the playoffs, all of a sudden 'just getting out the league' isn't so important?

It's the kind of thing you associate with fans of the cheeks, anawl, when they don't fancy their manager; 'Aw I actually hope we lose this game/cup, so we can get shot of X or Y'. Has a similar kind of feel to it. 

It is no worse or better than when M&M were running it. The tail spin was well underway long before they were punted.

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is no worse or better than when M&M were running it. The tail spin was well underway long before they were punted.

Interesting. No doubt the form was poor under them. It was quite clear for quite a long time that those two were not good football managers, for sure. That being said, they have not won a game since M&M were punted, have they? And they have dropped even further down the table, too. They have gone from second to fourth. That is quite literally worse. 

24 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Interesting. No doubt the form was poor under them. It was quite clear for quite a long time that those two were not good football managers, for sure. That being said, they have not won a game since M&M were punted, have they? And they have dropped even further down the table, too. They have gone from second to fourth. That is quite literally worse. 

But look at the results before they left - a shocking 1-1 at home v dumbarton, 2-1 defeat to yourselves (could’ve been 4-1), inched past a dead on their feet Clyde, 2-0 v cove (could’ve been 4-0), 1-0 v peterhead - we didn’t register 1 shot on target. Against peterhead.

Sure it’s not got better but there’s zero to suggest M&M would’ve done more in the last 3 games than holt has done 

M&M lost to Airdrie, Cove and Peterhead before being kicked out. They beat Clyde in between those games who had played 100 games in 5 days, and we ended up hanging on in that one two with 10 men.

It was just as bad before the change as it is now. You could actually argue it is slightly better now as Holt has lost the whole first choice defence since taking over.

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

M&M lost to Airdrie, Cove and Peterhead before being kicked out. They beat Clyde in between those games who had played 100 games in 5 days, and we ended up hanging on in that one two with 10 men.

It was just as bad before the change as it is now. You could actually argue it is slightly better now as Holt has lost the whole first choice defence since taking over.

Was brilliant, wasn't it? Holt might manage a point on Tuesday against our fringe side, you never know. 'Expect the unexpected' and all that.

No doubt they two were wretched, but didn't they always manage to beat Montrose? Anyway, the old adage is that the league table doesn't lie, and you have gone from 2nd place to 4th place since making the change. Fourth place is, quite simply, worse than second place.