Do footballers need to 'man up' and 'strap on a pair' re Social Media abuse?

16 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Fair enough, but there's an article on the BBC just now with Ian Wright showing Alan Shearer a racist DM he had received. Why are his DM's even switched on?  He can turn them off.

A lot of celebrities and footballers are demanding you have to use your real name and verify your identity to use a social media account.  But that defeats the whole purpose of social media. People in sensitive jobs couldn't have an account, or couldn't post openly and honestly if they did.

These two statements seem contradictory. Ian Wright should turn off his DM's as he's a person in a sensitive job but normal folk with sensitive jobs should be allowed to hide their identity to allow them to use social media? You say using your proper identity defeats the whole point of social media which is nonsense...the whole point of social media is to connect people, not to disguise people. What you've described is covert ANTI-social media

23 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

These two statements seem contradictory. Ian Wright should turn off his DM's as he's a person in a sensitive job but normal folk with sensitive jobs should be allowed to hide their identity to allow them to use social media? You say using your proper identity defeats the whole point of social media which is nonsense...the whole point of social media is to connect people, not to disguise people. What you've described is covert ANTI-social media

Again, intellectual dishonesty. Misrepresenting my words deliberately. Not once did I use the word 'sensitive' in relation to Ian Wright. I said high profile.

I'll ignore the hysterical nonsense about social media.

Before anyone gets on their high horse the title is deliberately sarcastic. Obviously these phrases area nod to the issues involved.
Anyway, people go on about social media abuse and claim its getting worse.
I contend that's absolute nonsense and the problem is way overblown.
They released figures yesterday showing that 'abusive' (bearing in mind they will have been using the broadest definition imaginable when collating these figures) messages aimed at Man Utd players have increased by 85% or whatever over the previous year.
Between something like September and February the Man Utd squad as a whole received about 3500 'abusive' messages online. With approximately 86% of them being racist and 14% homophobic or transphobic.
So lets say there's 25 players give or take. Over five months, average of 700 per month, divided by 25. Which is 28.
So on average, in a month, one Manchester Utd player receives about say 30 abusive messages. Or one per day.
That's the scale of the problem. Once a day some total bam makes one stupid comment. Whilst playing for one of the biggest and most high profile clubs on earth, with an audience of tens of millions. 
We keep hearing the problem is increasing. I don't think it is. I think the difference now compared to the past is the existence of social media in the first place. Previously the world was just the same, but they didn't have a voice or the means to directly speak straight to players or celebrities. That's the only difference. 
There is less racism and homophobia in football than society in general. Football does more to combat these things than society does, and even in society there is less than there used to be. But when you have an overt racist as the actual Prime Minister the problem runs an awful lot deeper than anything related to football. 
Obviously nobody should be subjected to racism or homophobia but the problem isn't increasing imo, it isn't more prevalent than it used to be, and some perspective is required. I watched Basile Boli have n***** screamed at him thousands of times over the course of one game as a kid, and we all can point to many similar incidents. That doesn't happen now. 
Your calculations are fundamentally flawed. You are suggesting that Scott McTominay, Harry Maguire, Dean Henderson, Luke Shaw, Daniel James are getting the same number of abusive messages as Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford, Fred, Anthony Martial. There will be targeted players getting a lot more than 1 message a day.

10 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
On 01/05/2021 at 15:01, HalfCutNinja said:
Before anyone gets on their high horse the title is deliberately sarcastic. Obviously these phrases area nod to the issues involved.
They released figures yesterday showing that 'abusive' (bearing in mind they will have been using the broadest definition imaginable when collating these figures) messages aimed at Man Utd players have increased by 85% or whatever over the previous year.
Between something like September and February the Man Utd squad as a whole received about 3500 'abusive' messages online. With approximately 86% of them being racist and 14% homophobic or transphobic.
So lets say there's 25 players give or take. Over five months, average of 700 per month, divided by 25. Which is 28.
So on average, in a month, one Manchester Utd player receives about say 30 abusive messages. Or one per day.
That's the scale of the problem. Once a day some total bam makes one stupid comment. Whilst playing for one of the biggest and most high profile clubs on earth, with an audience of tens of millions. 
We keep hearing the problem is increasing. I don't think it is. I think the difference now compared to the past is the existence of social media in the first place. Previously the world was just the same, but they didn't have a voice or the means to directly speak straight to players or celebrities. That's the only difference. 
There is less racism and homophobia in football than society in general. Football does more to combat these things than society does, and even in society there is less than there used to be. But when you have an overt racist as the actual Prime Minister the problem runs an awful lot deeper than anything related to football. 
Obviously nobody should be subjected to racism or homophobia but the problem isn't increasing imo, it isn't more prevalent than it used to be, and some perspective is required. I watched Basile Boli have n***** screamed at him thousands of times over the course of one game as a kid, and we all can point to many similar incidents. That doesn't happen now. 

Your calculations are fundamentally flawed. You are suggesting that Scott McTominay, Harry Maguire, Dean Henderson, Luke Shaw, Daniel James are getting the same number of abusive messages as Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford, Fred, Anthony Martial. There will be targeted players getting a lot more than 1 message a day.

No mate, I just understand the meaning of the word 'average'.

On 01/05/2021 at 15:01, HalfCutNinja said:

Did you ever experience racism or homophobia as a player?

On 04/05/2021 at 16:00, HalfCutNinja said:

No mate, I just understand the meaning of the word 'average'.

That's good, because it's a word that's often misused. If you mean the statistical mean (the sum divided by the number of measurements) then that's a fairly useless measure of central tendency to be using here. You'd be better controlling for race and looking at the mean number of abusive tweets black players get. The thing about using the statistical mean is that it's sensitive to extreme measurements. It's why we use the median for, say, income (wrongly described as the average) as those earning billions would skew that stat.

So taking the average across all footballers (famous, black, outspoken, controversial to non-descript jobbers) is going to wildly misrepresent the reality of this issue you're trying to discuss.

But to your point. I don't reckon that players need to man-up. Gaslighting folk isn't the solution. Social media (like this forum) makes unaccountable viciousness pretty easy. That's the issue here. Easy as pie to throw out a disgusting message that you wouldn't dare to say to their faces, or in front of your pals. The perpetrators need to man-up, not those on the receiving end.

14 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

How unimaginative.

If I'm to be offed by the CIA I want it to be an exploding cigar or a garroting whilst I'm reading the paper to take me out. 

Having you shot is the easy bit. It's when he frames somebody else for it it gets interesting.

You'll be dead...soz!

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Having you shot is the easy bit. It's when he frames somebody else for it it gets interesting.

You'll be dead...soz!

Gutted.

I'd love to see the ghoulish six part Netflix doc about Pep when he's collared for it. He's lead some life.

33 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57070587

Has anyone told Marvin that the problem is he should have just made his account private?

Why would they do that given nobody suggested it. Its strange how people seem to have the same habit of inventing things nobody said then using them to attack or mock someone. Really says a lot more about them than the person they are targeting. 

4 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Why would they do that given nobody suggested it. Its strange how people seem to have the same habit of inventing things nobody said then using them to attack or mock someone. Really says a lot more about them than the person they are targeting. 

On 01/05/2021 at 15:40, HalfCutNinja said:

Fair enough, but there's an article on the BBC just now with Ian Wright showing Alan Shearer a racist DM he had received. Why are his DM's even switched on?  He can turn them off.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah, you'd think you'd be able to actually read what you're replying to but apparently not. Give it a wee peruse. It says switch his DM's off, not make his account private. Those aren't the same thing, despite your attempt to present them as such. 

I know for a moron words are hard but those are the ones used, if you're unsure of any give us a shout.

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Yeah, you'd think you'd be able to actually read what you're replying to but apparently not. Give it a wee peruse. It says switch his DM's off, not make his account private. Those aren't the same thing, despite your attempt to present them as such. 

I know for a moron words are hard but those are the ones used, if you're unsure of any give us a shout.

**sighs**

I didn't mention DM's because he didn't mention DM's in the interview.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

**sighs**

I didn't mention DM's because he didn't mention DM's in the interview.

I didn't mention making his account private, but you still used that as your basis for a snide attack. Learn to read. I will accept your apology on this occasion.