Brechin, Kelty or Brora?

Brechin City, Kelty Hearts or Brora Rangers?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer to win the L2 play offs

• The Glebe Park Massive
    • The Kelty Clippies
    • Brora Ra Ra

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/21 at 21:05

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Will certainly be tougher tutan from now on in,can only see Brora and Fraserburgh as having any chance in the near future.

But further down the line when the big Tayside clubs are in the HL like Lochee,Broughty and Carnoustie,you never know.

Well suppose you'd add Brechin to the list as well!

Yeah will be interesting to see the make up of the Highland league in 5 to 10 years time, firstly maybe a 16 team league, few of the weaker outliners relegated, a few Tayside teams there, Banks O'Dee few other northern superleague teams.  Then the highland league could be filled with Dundee & Aberdeen derbies.    

What's the motivation for any of these Dundee area teams to commit to the HL?  Unless they all come in at once and together with Brechin form a decent chunk of the fixture calendar, then I struggle to see why you'd want to break from the current setup to visit even the mid-table HL teams.

What's the motivation for any football club to play in any league system? To be as good as they can be and to progress to as high a level as they can. There's no reason Lochee United couldn't end up in the SPFL, for example.

With money, hard work and a bit of luck there's no reason why some time this decade an ex Tayside Junior club might end up playing a league game against a present day SPFL team on the way down.

Lochee Utd v Dundee in a HL game by 2030?

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

What's the motivation for any of these Dundee area teams to commit to the HL?  Unless they all come in at once and together with Brechin form a decent chunk of the fixture calendar, then I struggle to see why you'd want to break from the current setup to visit even the mid-table HL teams.

If they didn't sign up for the Highland League they would be sitting outside the pyramid and unable to access SFA Licencing. With the erosion of the SJFA they would have been a glorified amateur league.

The reason for them all to sign up can probably be compared to the Highland League itself signing up for the pyramid. About half the league might be keen and the other half against, but if they don't all go together it would just lead to a split in the ranks. Which would be a far worse circumstance for those left behind.

11 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Will another HL team ever get promoted again to the SPFL?

Of course they will.  I'd say Brora are probably stronger than the teams in the LL now that Kelty are away and are good enough to get promoted right now with the squad they have.  

That of course is also down to how shite club 42 are.  I mean, when will see a club 42 as utter shite as Berwick were in 2019?

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A lot of discussion has gone into the pyramid below tier 5 and it's too much to put in one short post. But in a nutshell, the SJFA tried to negotiate pyramid entry for the East & West regions. That went nowhere and one by one different areas took matters in their own hand. East (south of Tay) by all clubs joining the East of Scotland League, West by forming the West of Scotland League. That left Tayside who came up with a proposed "Midland League". There were discussions with various parties: SFA, Highland League, Lowland League, other tier 6 leagues. Ultimately the outcome was that the HL accepted the ML as one of their feeders together with the North Juniors & North Caledonian League.

4 hours ago, Marten said:

A lot of discussion has gone into the pyramid below tier 5 and it's too much to put in one short post. But in a nutshell, the SJFA tried to negotiate pyramid entry for the East & West regions. That went nowhere and one by one different areas took matters in their own hand. East (south of Tay) by all clubs joining the East of Scotland League, West by forming the West of Scotland League. That left Tayside who came up with a proposed "Midland League". There were discussions with various parties: SFA, Highland League, Lowland League, other tier 6 leagues. Ultimately the outcome was that the HL accepted the ML as one of their feeders together with the North Juniors & North Caledonian League.

TJ is totally to blame for holding back the Juniors.

5 hours ago, Marten said:

A lot of discussion has gone into the pyramid below tier 5 and it's too much to put in one short post.

You could write a book on the twists & turns that got us here.

David Taylor's cup introduction. Gretna and Annan. 'Highland + Lowland Regional Leagues'. Founding of LL at time of SPL-SFL merger. Promulgation of the Tay Bridge Line. SJFA keeping out and pushing a 'Superduperleague'. Edinburgh City going up. Kelty taking plunge. Dozen more following with EOSL deciding to run 2 conferences - dozen more joining them a month later with EOSL tweaking to 3 conferences. Junior football in Lothian and Fife collapsing over 3 years. SJFA trying to get West and rump East regions in under LL. Some clubs in West breaking ranks for a WOSL; every West club ultimately leaving. Remnant juniors in West Lothian going east on promulgation of the Salt & Sauce Line. North Caley negotiating with HL. North Juniors following suit. Promulgation of the Dram Line. Tayside juniors forming a Midland League under HL.

That won't be exhaustive.

quote-the-schleswig-holstein-question-is

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

You could write a book on the twists & turns that got us here.

David Taylor's cup introduction. Gretna and Annan. 'Highland + Lowland Regional Leagues'. Founding of LL at time of SPL-SFL merger. Promulgation of the Tay Bridge Line. SJFA keeping out and pushing a 'Superduperleague'. Edinburgh City going up. Kelty taking plunge. Dozen more following with EOSL deciding to run 2 conferences - dozen more joining them a month later with EOSL tweaking to 3 conferences. Junior football in Lothian and Fife collapsing over 3 years. SJFA trying to get West and rump East regions in under LL. Some clubs in West breaking ranks for a WOSL; every West club ultimately leaving. Remnant juniors in West Lothian going east on promulgation of the Salt & Sauce Line. North Caley negotiating with HL. North Juniors following suit. Promulgation of the Dram Line. Tayside juniors forming a Midland League under HL.

That won't be exhaustive.

I'd add to that...

The EoS going from 9 members to consuming the whole of Junior football south of the Tay Bridge and east of Harthill. Clydebank joining the EoS on deferred entry. Bonnytoun Thistle joining the SoS instead of the WRSJFA. Edusport playing at Annan and coming through the SoS to the LL. Floodlightgate. 

Someone should write a book about it. I wonder who would be well placed to do something like that...

ETA: You'd need a footnote for Linlithgow Rose's odd position of being licensed but not applying to a senior league. That led to envious eyes being cast at their Scottish Cup income every year, and more interest in getting licensed. 

Edited by GordonS

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The EoS going from 9 members to consuming the whole of Junior football south of the Tay Bridge and east of Harthill.

Clydebank joining the EoS on deferred entry.

Forgot that.

Dundonald also applied among 'first dozen'... then deferred... then de-deferred to join 'second dozen' upon realising almost everyone else was offski 😆!

Floodlightgate.

Plus title round-robin concluding match Bonnyrigg v Broxburn where title swung from Rose, to Penicuik (who weren't even playing), to Badgers, then back.

ETA: You'd need a footnote for Linlithgow Rose's odd position of being licensed but not applying to a senior league. That led to envious eyes being cast at their Scottish Cup income every year, and more interest in getting licensed. 

There was a word for your 'exemption'.

Not waiver or derogation. Began with R?

Banks o'Dee's presumably still 'in force'.

Edited by HibeeJibee

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'd add to that...

The EoS going from 9 members to consuming the whole of Junior football south of the Tay Bridge and east of Harthill. Clydebank joining the EoS on deferred entry. Bonnytoun Thistle joining the SoS instead of the WRSJFA. Edusport playing at Annan and coming through the SoS to the LL. Floodlightgate. 

Someone should write a book about it. I wonder who would be well placed to do something like that...

If Bonnyton get a mention. East Kilbride probably deserve one as well. They pursued senior football for the town and were willing to commit to the SoSFL to get the ball rolling. Setting an example that the likes of BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld Colts would follow.

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Plus title round-robin concluding match Bonnyrigg v Broxburn where title swung from Rose, to Penicuik (who weren't even playing), to Badgers, then back.

Ah, Transit Van Saturday. I was at Penicuik that day, they were playing Linlithgow Rose in a cup tie. I probably spent more time looking at P&B than watching the game. When the scoreline meant they were winning the title I tried to explain it to some guys near me, but I don't think they believed it.

Banks o'Dee's presumably still 'in force'.

They at least had the excuse of there not being a senior league in their area that would accept them. 

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If Bonnyton get a mention. East Kilbride probably deserve one as well. They pursued senior football for the town and were willing to commit to the SoSFL to get the ball rolling. Setting an example that the likes of BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld Colts would follow.

Ah true. 

20 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ah, Transit Van Saturday. I was at Penicuik that day, they were playing Linlithgow Rose in a cup tie. I probably spent more time looking at P&B than watching the game. When the scoreline meant they were winning the title I tried to explain it to some guys near me, but I don't think they believed it.

I recall standing near dugouts at Bonnyrigg v Penicuik on Wednesday (2-0 at time) explaining to visiting fans they still had chance if only lost by 1 goal.

Lo and behold Somerville got 1 back just before FT.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I'd add to that...

Girvan joining the Juniors from the South of Scotland League and keeping their SFA membership...

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Forgot that.

Dundonald also applied among 'first dozen'... then deferred... then de-deferred to join 'second dozen' upon realising almost everyone else was offski 😆!

...'.

Bo'ness, Lithgae and Broxburn(?) only part of the second wave at the very last minute after lots of furious cellphone activity between their commitee members when they realised that the superleague was about to be a lot less super. Tynieness leaves Bo'ness United after they were not part of the first wave after putting lots of work into a licensing application and eventually becomes Tynierose after a brief sojourn in Kelty. TJ alleged to be frantically calling clubs to warn them that the EoS could go no higher than 32 or 36 with the conference format and they could be left out in the cold only for a third conference to be added.

Edited by LongTimeLurker