Brechin, Kelty or Brora?

Brechin City, Kelty Hearts or Brora Rangers?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer to win the L2 play offs

• The Glebe Park Massive
    • The Kelty Clippies
    • Brora Ra Ra

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/21 at 21:05

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

So... who?

Is it not Keith Moorhouse?

There are plenty of clubs who are not fitting the old Brooks Mileson / Willie Gray stereotype of rich man turns up and writes cheques or throws around wads of cash in the dressing room that are still essentially getting investment from outside sources that most other clubs don't have available. Of course Cove don't publicise their full profit and loss accounts for everyone to see but surely you're not suggesting they're not getting extra investment beyond the usual matchday income, prize money and modest sponsorship deals or that someone isn't covering player wages in some way?

Edited by Gordon EF

Cove have always very been good at raising money and making the most of their location in a city with plenty of money. It’s been mentioned on here several times - usually by Cowdenbeath types - since their promotion that they’ve some kind of sugar daddy or that they exist out of one mans pocket a la Brora, but that’s never been the case AFAIK. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Cove have always very been good at raising money and making the most of their location in a city with plenty of money. It’s been mentioned on here several times - usually by Cowdenbeath types - since their promotion that they’ve some kind of sugar daddy or that they exist out of one mans pocket a la Brora, but that’s never been the case AFAIK. 

I'm not sure most people will draw any kind of distinction between the Brora, Kelty, Cove, or Queen's Park situations. There may be multiple investors, there may be just one. They might be putting money in directly, they might be helping subsidise player wages, the might be funnelling money in via sponsorship. It all amounts to the same thing though. These are all clubs that are being funded by individuals beyond the conventional revenue brought in by the clubs.

They're perfectly entitled to do that but it seems silly to pretend that's not the case. It's happened at various clubs in Scottish football at different times to different extents. It was the case at East fife in the Wilie Gray era. It's the same with Ross County, East Kilbride, etc.

I don't see a problem with folk not liking that and not wishing those clubs well.

Kelty had a higher average attendance than half of League 2 last season, and there's other ex-Juniors with attendances to match SPFL clubs.

Obviously the League 2 clubs have the advantage of SPFL money, but tbh I don't really see much of a problem if someone can provide money to help close that financial gap for the teams below.

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Kelty had a higher average attendance than half of League 2 last season, and there's other ex-Juniors with attendances to match SPFL clubs.

Obviously the League 2 clubs have the advantage of SPFL money, but tbh I don't really see much of a problem if someone can provide money to help close that financial gap for the teams below.

If you are talking about finances, Kelty would need at least double the attendance of a L2 team as is it not only about £6 at the gate?

On 01/05/2021 at 04:33, gaswork said:

For sure brechin these two chancers from a sham 'pyramid' should be nowhere near league football.

I agree.  Those chancers Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers have done nothing since we let them in.  🤔

59 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Well doesn't take much checking to find that Kelty charged £8  for entry 2019/20 season, do you think they would be charging that in League 2?

Sorry £8, still their gate money is a fair bit less yet they entice players down to that level with higher wages. 
The chat was about finances.

They wouldn’t be allowed to charge that in L2, think there are minimum prices at I’m guessing £12, although I wasn’t referring to a hypothetical situation.

30 minutes ago, big al said:

Sorry £8, still their gate money is a fair bit less yet they entice players down to that level with higher wages. 
The chat was about finances.

They wouldn’t be allowed to charge that in L2, think there are minimum prices at I’m guessing £12, although I wasn’t referring to a hypothetical situation.

Minimum prices are only for cup games(and premiership play-offs). Charge whatever you want for league .

46 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

I agree.  Those chancers Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers have done nothing since we let them in.  🤔

Didn’t Edinburgh do sod all and barely avoided relegation in their first season in the SPFL?   They then attracted some outside investment which has allowed them to sign a whole new squad and compete.  

They used to offer half price entry to Hibs and Hearts season ticket holders to try and build up a fan base but as far as I’m aware it hasn’t taken off and crowds are still pretty low.

If the outside investment dries up they’ll be lucky to sustain SPFL football on their current fan base.

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Cove have investors rather than one specific person.  They input significant funds.  

As is the case for many other clubs who have gone down the incorporation route .  Seems to be the best method of being able to compete financially . 

Very few clubs  now are "supporter owned "  by all accounts . 

Brechin fans are weird, a number of them were on the pitch at Links Park celebrating Montrose winning the league and one of them on here tried to get me to pretend they were a bigger rivalry than Arbroath.

Kelty is in Fife.

For those reasons I'd have to go for Brora.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Didn’t Edinburgh do sod all and barely avoided relegation in their first season in the SPFL?   They then attracted some outside investment which has allowed them to sign a whole new squad and compete.  

They used to offer half price entry to Hibs and Hearts season ticket holders to try and build up a fan base but as far as I’m aware it hasn’t taken off and crowds are still pretty low.

If the outside investment dries up they’ll be lucky to sustain SPFL football on their current fan base.

Whereas they (were) cramming them in to Glebe Park every second Saturday?

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

We came up with most of our Lowland League squad intact and it was a step too far for a few of them that season. Cove were able to spend money getting experienced players in plus whatever you may think of him Paul Hartley is a fairly experienced Scottish League manager.

Low crowds are perhaps due to having to share at a ground that isn't particularly easy to get to and with no decent pubs near by. Perhaps crowds will get better when we return to Meadowbank. Unless you suggest we f**k off to Livingston and go bust four times? 

Compared to our L2 rivals I think we do all right crowdwise as League new boys. 

As for doing nothing that season we did nurture the talent that is future Scotland captain Ryan Porteous when he was on loan and gave Derek Riordan his swansong...

On 01/05/2021 at 22:05, Lawro said:

Has anybody checked out train times to/from Brora? Just had a look on Scotrail.

It’s a 2 day outing. Maybe no a bad thing?

And your lookin at £150-£200 quid. 

A hivnae looked at advance bookin tho.

2 days to be absolutely fucking steaming my man.

I think because of the reduced service they aren't showing the usual trains that would be running. You may be right though, could be 2 days for you unless you think of work arounds. I went to Wick Academy vs Raith Rovers probably almost 10 years ago now and I think we managed to get there on the day for kick off and stayed there overnight for the train back the next day.

Edited by jamamafegan

The more Highland and Lowland teams get in, the better the chance of expanding the pyramid system so that relegation isn't dependent on a playoff. I'll take either or over Brechin, but I'd prefer Brora.

7 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

I do have a problem in principle with the Division 2 play offs as presently constituted with  ' new '  clubs  attempting to buy their way into the SPFL..  Kelty,  Brora and recently Cove are rich men's toys. Moneyed ambition  just doesn't seem to square with the regular Scottish football fan's  hopes and dreams for their team. It also leads inexorably to situations like Hearts (Anne Budge and too many diddy teams), Sevco,  the arse cheeks arrogance on eg admission of Colts and now the fiasco of the ' super ' league.

As matters stand, there is little prospect of  a successful vote for any league reconstruction but change is clearly needed.

Think you’ll find Cove are a well sponsored team. No one man has bank rolled then..

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

theyd a tough first season.big deal