World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

Not before time IMO. Some of these recent qualifying results (20-0!) undermine the competition. To what extent Scotland’s morale is sapped by that horsing in Spain remains to be seen, but it must be a bonus for us that the next WC match isn’t til April. Plenty of time for Pedro to sort their heads out.

Were we missing a bunch of influential players v Spain or was that more or less our regular starting X1?

• 1 month later...

The Women’s AFC Asian Cup are part of Asian qualifying for the World Cup. In Mumbai tonight Australia beat Indonesia 18-0 (HT 9-0) with 8 different scorers. Sam Kerr with 5 and Emily van Egmond 4.

Edited by Eednud

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

The Women’s AFC Asian Cup are part of Asian qualifying for the World Cup. In Mumbai tonight Australia beat Indonesia 18-0 (HT 9-0) with 8 different scorers. Sam Kerr with 5 and Emily van Egmond 4.

I assume Indonesia had to qualify for this tournament? That's an absolute howler of a scoreline. 

On 21/01/2022 at 19:48, Craig the Hunter said:

I assume Indonesia had to qualify for this tournament? That's an absolute howler of a scoreline. 

They were drawn in a group with Singapore, North Korea and Iraq. North Korea would have been the favourites, but withdrew due to Covid and Iraq did the same, meaning they only had to beat Singapore to qualify, which they did 2-0 on aggregate.

On 24/01/2022 at 22:56, Craig the Hunter said:

Just found out Freesports are carrying the Asian Women's Cup. Currently watching Indonesia v Thailand. 0-0 after 25 minutes, Indonesia under pressure but not conceding like they did against Australia. 

Thailand qualified for Quarter Finals as one of the best placed 3rd finishers. QF games all on Sunday PR China v Vietnam, Japan v Thailand, Australia v South Korea, Taiwan v Thailand. Hosts India had a COVID outbreak and didn’t play any games. 

Nonsense draw to pair Australia and South Korea while Taipei and the Philippines is one of the other games.

Anyway, it's meant Australia are out. One of the favourites was always going out in that game, but the Aussies will be very disappointed. 

Currently got China v Vietnam on. Vietnam one up after 25 minutes despite having about 20% possession. 

Edit: and China equalise just after I type that. Can't see past them now.

Edited by Craig the Hunter

This means that the four quarter finalists who qualify for the World Cup are: China, Japan, South Korea & Philippines. Australia qualified automatically as co-hosts. The 3 remaining QF losers (Taiwan, Thailand & Vietnam) will now play a round robin with the top team also qualifying. The other 2 teams will join the inter-confederation play-offs.

Edited by Marten

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Squad has been announced for the cup games in Feb. No idea why he feels the need to have 4 GKS but a strong enough squad. No Lisa Evans is a suprise (unless shes injured) yet to see anything from Lisa Robertson that justifies her repeat inclusion 

Once again I'm mystified that Brianna Westrup hasn't been picked, consistently the best defender in the SWPL. I'd say he wants to have a look at Logan to see if she's a better option going forward that Cumings, no harm in having them both in the squad for me, but wouldn't be picking 4 for further squads.

59 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Once again I'm mystified that Brianna Westrup hasn't been picked, consistently the best defender in the SWPL. I'd say he wants to have a look at Logan to see if she's a better option going forward that Cumings, no harm in having them both in the squad for me, but wouldn't be picking 4 for further squads.

Aye it's strange Westrup got a call up and was then never seen again. Shes looked impressive from what I've seen of her this season. On the GK front I'd say Alexander has had her day, she was poor v Rangers on Sunday from what the highlights showed and didnt cover herself in glory v Spain. 

Just bought a ticket for the "Arnold Clark Cup" game between Germany and Spain in Middlesborough next Thursday at 2.30. England and Canada also playing at 7.30, but don't fancy driving up the road after that. Great chance to see two of the best teams in the world in action.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Scotland v Wales on Alba right now. Really dont see what the manager sees in Lisa Robertson to continually start her. Quite an odd line up tbh. Arnot should have started over Clelland imo

Scotland’s keeper just made an absolute howler, and they’re getting a bit of a doing.  Have they been this bad since the new guy took over?

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Scotland’s keeper just made an absolute howler, and they’re getting a bit of a doing.  Have they been this bad since the new guy took over?

2nd goal Roberstson caused the trouble, 3rd goal defence nowhere to be seen and the ball sneaks past Fife who should have done better. Aye this is the usual from Scotland these days. If you want to see how bad theyve been defensively recently watch the highlights v Spain 😑

In fairness it's not the No 1 keeper but generally the team has gone way backwards in the last couple of years - even with so many players in the moneybags English league. HAs the new manager failed to win them other? Have the English-based players' heads been turned by the big league down south? SOmething has changed.

Utterly abject performance again. At least under Kerr Scotland created a shit ton of chances, just couldn’t score them. Now it’s like 3 or 4 attempts at most over the 90, nothing but slow sideways and backward passes, defensive errors and zero directness. Kerr was crap but Losa is destroying what was a good squad with some world class players.

Edited by Tattie36