World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What was the attendance? 

Had hoped to go along to this game but I was at the Ayrshire Derby 🙄

0-2 was very respectable giving Sweden are one of the powerhouses in the womens game. A late og as well I'm sure I read 

I never heard them announce an attendance but I'd guess at about 1800.

Aye, a late, very unfortunate og made it 2-0. Sweden were definitely definitely the better side, but we weren't a million miles away from them. A good warm up for playing Spain.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/11/2021 at 12:06, Craig the Hunter said:

Squad announced for the qualifiers against Ukraine and Spain at the end of the month.

Looks fairly strong, but I am mystified as to why Brian a Westrup has been left out again. On current form she's probably our best centre back.

20211116_115312.jpg

I'd agree with that. Shes having a great season so far and I rate her as a better option than Howard.

Dont know what Lizzie Arnot has to do to get back in the squad. Albeit shes in a less competitive league, but shes outscoring Evans and Thomas by far 

• 2 weeks later...

I watch most of the Scotland women’s games and I have never seen a team, at any level, including kids, who are so abject at putting the ball in the net. The last euro qualification campaign was particularly bad. Battering teams from start to finish and losing 1-0. If they could sort this element of their game out then they would be a pretty handy side.

12 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I watch most of the Scotland women’s games and I have never seen a team, at any level, including kids, who are so abject at putting the ball in the net. The last euro qualification campaign was particularly bad. Battering teams from start to finish and losing 1-0. If they could sort this element of their game out then they would be a pretty handy side.

I'm biased, of course, but Arnott and Ross have a good understanding and have scored plenty for Rangers this season.

I'd bring them on in place of Grimshaw and Harrison.

Arnott is also better than Weir with a dead ball.

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm biased, of course, but Arnott and Ross have a good understanding and have scored plenty for Rangers this season.

I'd bring them on in place of Grimshaw and Harrison.

Arnott is also better than Weir with a dead ball.

I couldn’t care less who anyone plays for, they all just seem to lose the ability to score once they put on a Scotland shirt. One or two games like this you can put down to bad luck but it’s literally every single game, chance after chance, lack of composure and confidence in front of goal.

Just look at the stats for this game - any normal game would see a return of at least 2 or 3 goals by now. Having said that, I’ve seen much worse from this team.

Edited by Tattie36

Really poor. The major weakness in women’s fitba is the goalies and their lack of stature in full-sized goals, yet Scotland had 22 attempts and 13 corners but barely put the keeper under any pressure at all. Hit it early or from distance and put corners right on top of them. Scotland are far too cautious and that looks like the World Cup is probably out of reach already.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Do the top 2 in the group go through automatically?

Only the winners. The 9 runners up go into the playoffs.

Similar to the men they are one off games, but the top 3 ranked teams get a bye to the final round (and we are currently ranked #1).

Edit...It's even more complicated, only the two highest ranked of the three play-off winning teams qualify, the third placed team have to join the inter confederation play-off route!

Edited by Lurkst

Beattie and Emslie have pulled out injured. Celtic's Kelly Clark and Tegan Bowie called up along with Leah Eddie of Hibs.

All three undoubtedly having good seasons, but once again mystified about Brianna Westrup missing out. Pedro clearly doesn't fancy her at the back.