Hibernian vs St Johnstone, Saturday 1 May, 2021

Hibernian can virtually guarantee third place with a win whilst St Johnstone try to keep in touch with Livingston for the potential of fifth place earning Europe, if Hibs win the Scottish Cup. 

Been impressed by Hibs this season and they are deserving of their third place. We've not had good results against Aberdeen (whereas we have against Hibs) but by far our hardest games outside of the obvious have been against them. 

In some respects it's still been a bit of a missed opportunity for them when you look at some of their results (especially at home) considering how poor Celtic have been at times. 

Callum Davidson has already spoken about keeping his rotation policy going ahead of the semi-final and you get the impression that is the priority for the club. Hibs are so secure in third that they can probably focus likewise. 

Would think any real rotation for Saints is likely to come at Celtic Park and don't imagine we'll be too far away from full strength tomorrow. As always, the shape will be interesting and whether we are 5-2-3 or have a strike pairing. 

I fancy Livingston to take something from Aberdeen, meaning Saints need to come back up the road having matched their result. 

Edited by Radford

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Hibernian can virtually guarantee third place with a win whilst St Johnstone try to keep in touch with Livingston for the potential of fifth place earning Europe, if Hibs win the Scottish Cup. 

Been impressed by Hibs this season and they are deserving of their third place. We've not had good results against Aberdeen (whereas we have against Hibs) but by far our hardest games outside of the obvious have been against them. 

In some respects it's still been a bit of a missed opportunity for them when you look at some of their results (especially at home) considering how poor Celtic have been at times. 

Callum Davidson has already spoken about keeping his rotation policy going ahead of the semi-final and you get the impression that is the priority for the club. Hibs are so secure in third thst they can probably focus likewise. 

Would think any real rotation for Saints is likely to come at Celtic Park and don't imagine we'll be too far away from full strength tomorrow. As always, the shape will be interesting and whether we are 5-2-3 or have a strike pairing. 

I fancy Livingston to take something from Aberdeen, meaning Saints need to come back up the road having matched their result. 

Hard game for both teams.

I think we could almost not kick a ball for the rest of the league games and still not sure Aberdeen will catch us.

Both clubs will have at least one eye on next week.............but I agree that I dont see either side playing much lower than full strength.

I have to be honest, while I will probably watch it anyway (not switching on til 5 to as I really cant stand Tanner), I would rather be in a pub feigning interest in the rest of the league season.

Not easy to predict what line up we'll see for Saints here, as we've had varying formations against Hibs all season.

We looked really good in the 2-2 at Easter Road playing the 3-4-2-1 type shape with Melamed, May and MOH all starting.  

We also had great success with the 3-4-3 in the cup semi, despite being very lucky to still be 0-0 when we scored.

Then last month we laboured to a 1-0 win in Perth playing 3-4-1-2, with Spoony in behind Kane and Melamed. The players understandably looked physically and mentally drained after the cup win 6 days earlier.

Never that bothered how we set up these days. Davidson has bought himself the right to play 2-3-5 if he wants.

A draw would be a decent result, keep a bit of momentum going.

Hibs should be playing anyone who hasn't had enough game time who could potentially be called on for hopefully the two Cup games. McGregor, Stevenson, Hallberg, Magennis should all be playing. Play Gogic as he's out next week.

One ginormous shrug to this, tbh.

Can't help but remember playing United after the split, not long before meeting them in the Final, and the result was then matched, so I'm sticking £10 on tomorrow's score being matched in the Final.

I’d be going with the same team that started at Ibrox - as stated above there is still something riding in this game for us and if we want to pick up league points the better chance is in this game rather than against Celtic.

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Melamed Kane Wotherspoon

I see Murray Davidson is back training - hope we see him again soon, maybe even tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’d be going with the same team that started at Ibrox - as stated above there is still something riding in this game for us and if we want to pick up league points the better chance is in this game rather than against Celtic.

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Melamed Kane Wotherspoon

I see Murray Davidson is back training - hope we see him again soon, maybe even tomorrow.

1 change from Ibrox then? 😉

Seems I’m in the minority but I’m really looking forward to this game. Two teams who play good, attacking football, we both have something to play for in the league and more importantly the cups and frankly I want to enjoy as much of this Saints side as I can before it starts to be broken up. 

Next Sunday  is by miles the more important game but I’d like to see us play our best side and go for the win. We’ve beaten Hibs twice this season and been unlucky not to get more in the other two matches and I’d argue all 4 previous have been good games. Bring it on. 

same side as Beatson above, only swapping May for Kane. 

Edited by Kyle

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Apologies, I meant to have May in there 🤣

Tanser started at Ibrox too. 

On that note, if Booth is injured we've got a bit of an issue. Could McCart go LWB? Does it force a back 4? Craig? I think Spoony might even have been there in the past.  Rooney or Brown swapping sides?

Not great options. Hope the small squad doesn't trip us up in these last few games.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Tanser started at Ibrox too. 

On that note, if Booth is injured we've got a bit of an issue. Could McCart go LWB? Does it force a back 4? Craig? I think Spoony might even have been there in the past.  Rooney or Brown swapping sides?

Not great options. Hope the small squad doesn't trip us up in these last few games.

Middleton has played there for Rangers.