New League Cup sponsor for the next 5 seasons - Premier Sports Cup

Phillips455

Some news about the League cup. It has now recieved a new sponser taking over from Betfred.

The new sponsers are the Broadcasting Group Premier Sports who already has the broadcasting rights to the league cup last season. This Sponsorship is due to last for 5 years, starting from the 2021/2022 season until the 2026/2027 season. This includes the exclusive broadcasting rights for the competition in the UK.

I wonder how everyone feels about this? Its not a betting company, so theres that. I just dont really like Premier Sports as a company. Hopefully there will be more money put ibto the conpetition as well. With St Johnstone's success this season it really makes me hope that next seasons Motherwell squad will be able to achieve similar results.

Source btw: https://spfl.co.uk/news/premier-sports-becomes-league-cup-title-sponsor

Edited by Phillips455

The Premier Sports Cup sounds like a rugby competition contested by teams like "London Scottish".

Rotten name. Still, at least Neil Doncaster has remembered that competitions do have title sponsors.

A bit pissed off that it's staying behind this subscription for the foreseeable. If they're putting up the most cash then its hard to argue but I do feel its steps like this that lead to the competition being devalued. The viewing figures are way down on when it was on BT.

Little surprise  it's being sponsored by the company itself.  Who wishes to sponsor an event many won't watch? 

Subscription of £10.99 a month, for regular content such as Italian League and Copa Del Rey football.  Chuck in the odd Cup ties from Scotland and CL qualifiers.  Not that I would buy in first place but why would you continue to invest in this platform once your teams cup run has ended? 

I've been quite impressed with their coverage of our three games this season. £12.99 for a one month subscription (with easy cancellation) and access to their other content is good value compared to paying for a one-off PPV. 

Not sure why people expect them to not want Rangers and Celtic games when it's clearly going to net them the most subscribers. Also leaves room for the BBC to pick up the better games in the Scottish Cup or individual clubs in the case of the League Cup.

Tbf the original deal already had them covering the competition to 2024-25, so it's just an extension by two years and them covering the title sponsorship - probably for a cut-rate given the sponsorship market has taken a massive hit in the last year.

I would hope that they would show some games free-to-air on Freesports or maybe sublicense highlights to the BBC. Personally, think the addition of a Day-Pass for £6.99 would get them bringing in a lot more revenue - but each to their own I suppose.

Not sure how accurate the document was, but someone posted up a link to the viewership of all the Scottish games this season and some of the games on their platform barely got over 1000 viewers.

57 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not sure how accurate the document was, but someone posted up a link to the viewership of all the Scottish games this season and some of the games on their platform barely got over 1000 viewers.

I'm not sure how this stuff is measured but would pubs being shut have anything to do with that? I wouldn't go out of my way to watch many of the non Celtic cup games but if they were on in the pub I'd take an interest.

With Sky showing one non-OF game since either August or September and the majority of cup games being on Premier Sports, the Premiership's exposure has been really horrendous this season which feels like a missed opportunity. You're not seeing what teams are capable of when they're packing out the box with 30% possession against Celtic or Rangers. For this reason, I reckon I've watched more televised Championship football since it started than I have televised Premiership games, certainly more full games.

It would be good to see a comparison of last season's LC group stage viewing figures compared to this season's. They're obviously less appealing ties so locking out casual audiences is shite.

Different circumstances etc obviously, but it's been pretty enjoyable building an interest in certain English teams this because every game is on TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...