Airdrie v Montrose

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/210426/DTVLive%3A-Airdrieonians-vs-Montrose

A win or bust for Montrose, and you'd expect them to go for it from the off. 

If we can get to halftime without conceding, I'd expect us to win. Concede first half and we'll do well to salvage a point. 

I'd like us to start with Connell instead of Roy, who might perhaps better utilise his pace in the second half especially if Montrose need to start committing men forward. 

Hopefully it goes more like the second half at Links and less like the last time Montrose visited us. 

Interesting team for us tonight. I’d guess it’s a back three of McKay, Kerr and Fordyce with Walker as a right wing back and Carrick moving into the middle but it’s hard to say for sure when Kerr has mostly been used in midfield so far this season. 

We've certainly got to go for it tonight. An Airdrie win and we are out of it. Anything else and we are right in the thick of it. Airdrie been a happy hunting ground for us recently so let's hop we can keep it that way.  Oh, and Big Annie Lennox hasn't played since chucking it in the net last time so no favours this time. 

Got what we deserved .. two defensive mistakes .. end of story. I can only assume Rusty was injured and Hawke has been ditched (Antioniazzi had his shirt on tonight) .. only explanation for Rossco starting for the first time in two seasons? Airdrie were the better side for the first 20 mins and deserved to be ahead. After that it was 50:50. No complaints with the end result .. we look fkkd. Can’t wait for this season to end.

Good opening spell by Airdrie. It took a few good saves from Fleming to keep it at 1. I felt Montrose actually got better when they had to sub, and went to a back three. Once again they are a good passing team but Ross Campbell up front was no real threat and Mclean was a miss. We played some good stuff but the long ball was still the common thread. When Connell bustled his way through and got the 2nd , I thought I could relax but the subs of Mochrie and Antonio(?)  had montrose much more lively. I know Gallagher was toling a wee bit for us but why on earth was Stokes sent on? As Webster score that good goal I was sweating as we defended stoutly. That breakaway should have brought a third and Currie did have to produce a good save. In the end we did it and the Cove game will be all to play for but 4th looks pretty certain at least. Thistle lead cut but can't see us catching them. Montrose still not out of it if Falkirk implode ,and I got Montrose chances wrong last time so good luck to Montrose. Phew

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Interesting team for us tonight. I’d guess it’s a back three of McKay, Kerr and Fordyce with Walker as a right wing back and Carrick moving into the middle but it’s hard to say for sure when Kerr has mostly been used in midfield so far this season. 

Kerr was outstanding in defence tonight, why are we trying to make him a midfield player,  Gutsy performance and very well organised,   credit to Ian Murray,    Ritchie and Roy had 10 mins each and both looked completely gubbed,   Our squad as we know has no depth..

Looking not too bad for the playoffs..

A nervy last 10 minutes but a big win tonight. *Should* be a play-off place secured now so well done to Ian Murray and the boys. Thought we started the game very well and Gallagher and Connell, in particular, were giving the Montrose centre-halves a torrid time. Connell worked hard for his goals and they were both cracking finishes. He looked a threat whenever he was on the ball so hopefully his knock is nothing serious and he's okay for Saturday and the rest of the run-in. As others have said, when Cochrane went off that's when Montrose actually started to get into the game. The game was fairly balanced after that but I still thought we were worthy of our win overall. Probably Carrick, McKay and Walker's best games for us in a while and I agree with Passionate, Kerr is an outstanding defender. Madness that we've spent all season trying to convert such a talented prospect into a midfielder instead of, ehm, actually just playing centre mids. 

Hope both sides overhaul Falkirk. 

6 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Kerr was outstanding in defence tonight, why are we trying to make him a midfield player,  Gutsy performance and very well organised,   credit to Ian Murray,    Ritchie and Roy had 10 mins each and both looked completely gubbed,   Our squad as we know has no depth..

Looking not too bad for the playoffs..

Interesting to see Ritchie toiling as he has hardly played but maybe Roy was carrying a knock. It's only a few games ago that we thought the bench was a bit stronger but Montrose's  subs did look better. I agree about Kerr. We can't obviously beat Thistle but it would be good to get a win at Cove to boost that stat.

Not at the races tonight at all,Airdrie deserved winners in my opinion.Mochrie and Webster played well when they came webby with a great strike.Not saying we would have scored if the ball was better in but in the final minute of the game Antoniazzi has to be doing better with the free kick we won on the edge of the box.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I know Gallagher was toling a wee bit for us but why on earth was Stokes sent on? 

Poor Stokes had John O'Brien sticking the boot in at the full-time whistle 😂 He is rotten though it has to be said. Possibly the most anonymous player I've ever seen in my time supporting Airdrie, which is quite the accomplishment. 

I do feel a bit sorry for him and Mbayo however. Both guys moved a considerable distance (Cornwall and Ireland presumably) to sign for us to play probably about a combined 200-300 minutes the whole season? I'm fully with Ian Murray in not playing either of them because they're both pish but it's just been a complete waste of time for all parties. Really poor recruitment/deals with agents in that regard. 

I didn't think Montrose played too badly overall. Things improved with the subs.  First goal was almost entirely down to  Quinn, who otherwise together with Dillon, had a decent game, slipping and giving Connell a free hit. Both Airdrie goals were well-taken, especially the second. We were caught out by a fast-paced breakaway and a great finish.

I assumed Ross was on because Rusty wasn't fully fit. He didn't have a bad game but other than giving other players a rest, I cannot see the justification of having him start. That may sound harsh, especially in the light of his other contributions to the team but he did not offer much in the way of a cutting edge last night, other than some reasonably executed flick ons. We really missed Rusty's ability to hold up the ball. 

Lewis Milne played well, as did the subs. Webster's goal was a beaut. and gave us hope. If only it had come earlier in the half, I felt we could have eventually made the pressure exerted claw us back into the game. If only Antoniazzi had done better with the final free kick.

Airdrie deserved to win on that performance. They looked dangerous in front of goal and were pretty effective in other areas. On the night, while Montrose were okay, they couldn't convert the pressure into goals. If Airdrie clinch a play-off spot ahead of Montrose, then I wouldn't grudge them it based on that performance.

As for Montrose, they have a mountain to climb but let's hope they can take something from the remaining games. Tonight was a six pointer, so deeply disappointing but hope there can be a reaction ahead of Thursday. Not tempting fate but here's hoping that for the Mo, the plus-sized woman hasn't exercised her vocal chords yet!

8 hours ago, mo83 said:

Not at the races tonight at all,Airdrie deserved winners in my opinion.Mochrie and Webster played well when they came webby with a great strike.Not saying we would have scored if the ball was better in but in the final minute of the game Antoniazzi has to be doing better with the free kick we won on the edge of the box.

I thought Mochrie was outstanding when he came on and even more so when i realised he's only 18. Looks a real star.

13 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

Got what we deserved .. two defensive mistakes .. end of story. I can only assume Rusty was injured and Hawke has been ditched (Antioniazzi had his shirt on tonight) .. only explanation for Rossco starting for the first time in two seasons? Airdrie were the better side for the first 20 mins and deserved to be ahead. After that it was 50:50. No complaints with the end result .. we look fkkd. Can’t wait for this season to end.

I don't have a problem with Rossco starting, he's been making cameos of late, but what does it say for the confidence the management team have in Rennie?

Did realise the number Antionazzi was wearing, Hawke really hasn't pulled up any trees in his time at the club has he

I don't have a problem with Rossco starting, he's been making cameos of late, but what does it say for the confidence the management team have in Rennie?
Did realise the number Antionazzi was wearing, Hawke really hasn't pulled up any trees in his time at the club has he

Martin has done nothing since his return and tbh very little in the lead up to his move to Ireland. Was astonished we got money for him. Suspect he’ll be gone over the summer. Hawke has been poor so no surprise if he’s going/gone. Think SP is going to have to pull a few rabbits out of hats during the close season to bring in the extra quality we need.

19 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Poor Stokes had John O'Brien sticking the boot in at the full-time whistle 😂 He is rotten though it has to be said. Possibly the most anonymous player I've ever seen in my time supporting Airdrie, which is quite the accomplishment. 

I do feel a bit sorry for him and Mbayo however. Both guys moved a considerable distance (Cornwall and Ireland presumably) to sign for us to play probably about a combined 200-300 minutes the whole season? I'm fully with Ian Murray in not playing either of them because they're both pish but it's just been a complete waste of time for all parties. Really poor recruitment/deals with agents in that regard. 

I thought for a minute you were saying John O'Brien was rotten- We can't be having that, but seriously the Stokes/Mbayo scenario has turned out to be futile as you say.