052 Stevie Wilson on Ardrossan's proposal & misquote claims, Callum Graham on joining Pollok & Matt Maley's fears for Annbank

1195757420_StevieWilsonad.thumb.jpg.d3a80cda01d07564089fe32ab731140b.jpg

Hi everyone,

We just wanted to alert you to the fact on Episode 52 we have Ardrossan Winton Rovers boss Stevie Wilson outlining his club’s proposals for regionalising the conferences, Callum Graham on his decision to leave Ashfield for Pollok and Matt Maley on his fears for the future of Annbank. The show’s full synopsis is below.

We're on all podcast players including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Acast, Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts.

Thanks for all your support!

052 Stevie Wilson on Ardrossan's proposal & misquote claims, Callum Graham on joining Pollok and Matt Maley's fears for Annbank

FORGET the European Super League.

Right now all the chat is about what happens next in the West of Scotland Football League.

Last week Ardrossan Winton Rovers put forward a proposal which has sparked a huge debate.

In a covid world they reckon conferences based on geography will give the coming campaign a better chance of being completed.

On last week’s show fixture secretary Kennie Young told us he’s against the plans – and insisted he’d been misquoted too.

Rovers boss Stevie Wilson helped draw up the detailed argument for change – which even takes into account how many miles it would save teams travelling.

There are still some questions though – and we’re delighted to say Stevie is with us this week to answer them.

That’s not all though.

Striker Callum Graham left Ashfield for Pollok last week. He tells us just why he decided to head to Newlandsfield ahead of other options.

Plus in an action-packed show Matt Maley also joins us to explain why he’s quit Annbank.

We'd like to give a quick mention to our sponsors FortyFour Creative. They have a team of highly skilled and passionate photographers, graphic designers, videographers and video editors to help promote your content, brand, organisation or event. They make creation personal. Find out more at www.fortyfourcreativehq.com

If you have any comments we'd love to hear from you. Likewise if you're at a club who would like your post-match audio featured on the show then do get in touch. You can email downthedivisions@gmail.com or contact us through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

It’s all here as we go Down The Divisions.

Down The Divisions logo design Adam Aitken

Intro and outro music Bensound

This was another great episode. Really liking that you're covering a few different points in terms of news etc across the leagues as well as retaining the main interview portion of the show.

I listen to a daft amount of podcasts every week and this is one of the best ones. Would recommend it to anyone with any level of interest in semi-pro football in Scotland.

Would be useful if you put the podbean link in the post so that people don't have to go hunting for it to listen! ;) https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-zzb4v-1018f16

Interesting the Ardrossan manager talks about the fans - but as far as I know, the proposals are not public? It got a bit confusing talking about various things without having seen exactly what the proposals are and what the regional make up would be.

He thought the (regional) balance in the previous West Region divisions was "decent / not too bad" - yet Ardrossan were basically isolated away from local clubs in West League One in the last junior season. And would've only had Dalry, Troon, and Whitletts from Ayrshire had they got promoted to the Championship.

Thanks for the feedback Ginaro. We hadn't been including a Podbean link as people listen to podcasts through other platforms such as Apple Podcasts and Spotify too. We'll  look into including links to the different platforms from now on.

Regards the proposals, they are now on the Ardrossan Winton Rovers website at https://www.wintonroversfc.org.uk/downloads/1124 We will add that link to the show's description. 

21 minutes ago, Down The Divisions Podcast said:

Thanks for the feedback Ginaro. We hadn't been including a Podbean link as people listen to podcasts through other platforms such as Apple Podcasts and Spotify too. We'll  look into including links to the different platforms from now on.

Regards the proposals, they are now on the Ardrossan Winton Rovers website at https://www.wintonroversfc.org.uk/downloads/1124 We will add that link to the show's description. 

I'd listened on Spotify before but also clicked the link on your tweet or whenever a link was posted here, just easier than going looking for it. :) Thanks for the proposal document.

It seems their numbers are wrong on page 4 though as Conference A does not currently have 3 teams from the old West Championship and 8 teams from West League One (it's 5 and 4).

They also say their proposed regional Conference C would have 4 teams from the Championship, but I can only see 3 (SBA, Kilsyth, Gartcairn)? While their Ayrshire conference would have 6.

So they can't really say "the new proposal had more integrity and balance than the conferences as they are. " when that's doesn't seem to be the case. Which is always the issue with regional divisions, getting the balance right.

Ardrossan proposal has merit but in my opinion has been put forward too late in the day and feel it’s important that the WOSFL concentrate on the conference as they are also not too sure it would get approval from the SFA at this late stage

Ardrossan proposal has merit but in my opinion has been put forward too late in the day and feel it’s important that the WOSFL concentrate on the conference as they are also not too sure it would get approval from the SFA at this late stage

What are the merits though? Players don’t all come from the town or indeed area where the clubs come from so travelling is a red herring. Local rivalries don’t attract the crowds they used to so again for me it’s a red herring. Then there is competitive balance. If your a bigger club in a weaker conference then you have an unfair advantage on other clubs in a stronger conference.

I agree with Colin’s point (or the SFAs) that we are one region why go back to splitting them into conferences inside that region is not a good idea going forward.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

This was under an AyrshireFitbaw tweet that linked to a Daily Record article summing up the proposal https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/west-scotland-league-ayrshire-club-23946506

Interesting, so presumably no north/south divisions in the EOS or WOS under the SFA's watch unless some sort of separate entity leagues are created.

16 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Interesting, so presumably no north/south divisions in the EOS or WOS under the SFA's watch unless some sort of separate entity leagues are created.

Seems to be and maybe explains why the WoS have talked of a Fourth Division and EoS a Third Division. Maybe @parkcircus could provide more context.

In a settled structure I don't imagine the SFA would push back too much on regionalised lower divisions, but since the Conference format was introduced in the EoS I've kind of saw the appeal of that instead of regionalisation the bottom tier. It's something that some of the amateurs do and can be more flexible in allowing in allowing new clubs into a league with balanced fixture scheduling.

Like the WoSFL Third Division based on 67 members had the potential of being 19 teams. Split that into Third Division Conference A & B of 10 & 9 play in your own Conference twice, other Conference once. Gives 28 and 26 league games. Can then have an overall Third Division Championship game and the two Conference runners up play-off for a promotion spot. Then reseed the Conferences every year to keep them fresh.

What are the merits though? Players don’t all come from the town or indeed area where the clubs come from so travelling is a red herring. Local rivalries don’t attract the crowds they used to so again for me it’s a red herring. Then there is competitive balance. If your a bigger club in a weaker conference then you have an unfair advantage on other clubs in a stronger conference.

I agree with Colin’s point (or the SFAs) that we are one region why go back to splitting them into conferences inside that region is not a good idea going forward.
Ardrossans proposal:

Their proposed conference:

Conference A: Ardrossan WR, Irvine Victoria, Lugar, Annbank, Craigmark, Maybole, Ardeer, Saltcoats, Girvan, Dalry, Whitletts, Arthurlie, Neilston, Johnstone Burgh, Kello Rovers, Muirkirk Juniors.

I would expect only Arthurlie and perhaps Neilston to definitely finish above Ardrossan then 5/6 evenly matched but beatable teams for Ardrossan and a few 'easier' games v Saltcoats/Ardeer/Lugar.

Conference C

Ardrossan Winton Rovers

Drumchapel United

East Kilbride Thistle

Glasgow Perthshire

Kilsyth Rangers

Lanark United

Larkhall Thistle

Neilston

Petershill

St Anthony's

St Roch's

Vale of Clyde

Vale of Leven

Wishaw

Yoker Athletic

Their current conference is much tougher in my opinion with Kilsyth, Neilston, Petershill, Lanark and could be argued Drumchapel / St Roch's would be likely to finish above Ardrossan and only perhaps 1 or 2 teams they should definitely be beating home & away.

I totally understand why they are pushing this as local conferences would certainly help them end up in as high a division as possible and even a disastrous season would be unlikely to be bottom division. Plus a few more local derbies but Saltcoats, Ardeer and Dalry would likely bring far fewer away fans than Arthurlie, Petershill, St Roch's then if can stay in First Division the 7 teams coming down from Premier League will likely have a few well supported Ayrshire teams and some easier travelling.

Ardrossans proposal:

Their proposed conference:

Conference A: Ardrossan WR, Irvine Victoria, Lugar, Annbank, Craigmark, Maybole, Ardeer, Saltcoats, Girvan, Dalry, Whitletts, Arthurlie, Neilston, Johnstone Burgh, Kello Rovers, Muirkirk Juniors.

I would expect only Arthurlie and perhaps Neilston to definitely finish above Ardrossan then 5/6 evenly matched but beatable teams for Ardrossan and a few 'easier' games v Saltcoats/Ardeer/Annbank/Lugar

Conference C

Ardrossan Winton Rovers

Drumchapel United

East Kilbride Thistle

Glasgow Perthshire

Kilsyth Rangers

Lanark United

Larkhall Thistle

Neilston

Petershill

St Anthony's

St Roch's

Vale of Clyde

Vale of Leven

Wishaw

Yoker Athletic

Their current conference is much tougher in my opinion with Kilsyth, Neilston, Petershill, Lanark and could be argued Drumchapel / St Roch's would be likely to finish above Ardrossan and only perhaps 1 or 2 teams they should definitely be beating home & away.

I totally understand why they are pushing this as local conferences would certainly help them end up in as high a division as possible and even a disastrous season would be unlikely to be bottom division. Plus a few more local derbies but Saltcoats, Ardeer and Dalry would likely bring far fewer away fans than Arthurlie, Petershill, St Roch's then if can stay in First Division the 7 teams coming down from Premier League will likely have a few well supported Ayrshire teams and some easier travelling.

Thanks. I wasn’t able to open the file with their proposal in it. Reading it here it looks even more ridiculous.

I agree with your point. I get the feeling they are proposing this to make it as easy as possible for them to reach a higher division. This should be rejected out of hand by the clubs and shown for what it is.

6 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Seems to be and maybe explains why the WoS have talked of a Fourth Division and EoS a Third Division. Maybe @parkcircus could provide more context.

In a settled structure I don't imagine the SFA would push back too much on regionalised lower divisions, but since the Conference format was introduced in the EoS I've kind of saw the appeal of that instead of regionalisation the bottom tier. It's something that some of the amateurs do and can be more flexible in allowing in allowing new clubs into a league with balanced fixture scheduling.

Like the WoSFL Third Division based on 67 members had the potential of being 19 teams. Split that into Third Division Conference A & B of 10 & 9 play in your own Conference twice, other Conference once. Gives 28 and 26 league games. Can then have an overall Third Division Championship game and the two Conference runners up play-off for a promotion spot. Then reseed the Conferences every year to keep them fresh.

We are still working on the best way to allow teams to join the pyramid while also upholding “no team would be disadvantaged for taking a season out” 

the team are working daily on it, unfortunately there isn’t a prefect solution due to the conferences still in place