Clyde v East Fife

1 minute ago, keithgy said:

It will be a disgrace if East Fife get a punishment for the game getting called off.

While I understand where you are coming from, the bottom line is that rules are there for a reason. If we’d fecked it up (which I think was most people’s assumption, Clyde fans included), we’d expect punishment. That might still turn out to be the case of course. 
When we played our own player 2 seasons ago, making an error with the loan rules, we were royally shafted by the league, being the subject of two 3-0 defeats in games that we’d won and drawn. That despite precedence elsewhere that games would be replayed. I therefore won’t lose sleep if we get awarded a 3-0 win. Not the right outcome perhaps but I’d happily take it given what’s happened to us in the recent past. 

30 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Given that we're already in a highly-compressed schedule how long would it take to process an appeal ?  We have a dog in this fight too, and I think that the most equitable outcome would also be the common sense one of rescheduling the fixture.  That way we get to avoid years of simmering anger based purely on 'what if'.

I'd have no problems in principle with us finishing ninth if all the fixtures are fulfilled - God knows we've been rank rotten for the most part - and I'm sure most Clyde fans would feel the same.

They've managed to organise an SPFL board hearing for tomorrow whereas ours took weeks to put together, so you'd hope the SFA would also be able to swiftly prepare an appeal hearing too in the circumstances.

23 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm sure there will be a worry that a serious points deduction isn't out of the question. Again, you'd hope that the SPFL would be taking into account the vastly different circumstances of the two cases but I don't think many people have too much faith in their decision-making abilities so you never know.

I don't think there's any realistic chance of a points deduction for East Fife here - I'd imagine a forfeit and a fine is the absolute worst case scenario.

It's hard not to feel sympathy with East Fife players. It's easy to point at the rulebook and say "Well that's the rules" but it's different when you're putting yourself and your family at risk.

Common sense thing to do here is just to replay the game and tighten up on the requirements for reporting test results.

Edited by G51

5 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

A witty gotcha!

I'll happily admit knowing what the names for different types of words are is not a strong point of mine. Sad thing is though, I Googled it and still got it wrong...

d07105f36c30e97a2a72e041955d8be8.gif

1 minute ago, G51 said:

It's hard not to feel sympathy with East Fife players. It's easy to point at the rulebook and say "Well that's the rules" but it's different when you're putting yourself and your family at risk.

Common sense thing to do here is just to replay the game and tighten up on the requirements for reporting test results.

Replay it when ? There are no dates available. Was listening to BBC Sportsound earlier and they were banging on about playing it next Thursday. In the event that Clyde are in the play offs, that will seriously disadvantage us. That would be compounding the ridiculousness of the situation and be seriously unfair to Clyde.  If (and I mean if, as I’m sure the full facts have yet to come out) East Fife are found guilty, there simply can’t be a situation where Clyde are disadvantaged. There is only 1 outcome here that I can see. 
Is it the right outcome ? Probably not but nothing else works from what I can see. 

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

Even replaying the game means Clyde have the unfair disadvantage of having to play two days before the first leg of the playoff semi.

I'd hope they could delay the playoff first leg until the Sunday if that was the case. Doesn't seem that unreasonable?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

5 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Or infected any Peterhead player’s I suppose too, given that observation 

Wouldn't worry about that. Clyde players never got anywhere near us. 😉

5 minutes ago, sydney said:

Replay it when ? There are no dates available. Was listening to BBC Sportsound earlier and they were banging on about playing it next Thursday.

Thursday May 6th is the last possible date to play the game and ironically is the only available date remaining. Then it's straight into playoffs on Saturday May 8th.

542496929_Screenshot2021-04-27212043.thumb.jpg.7fe02a9656091225c6b447895703af49.jpg

8 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Why did the test result take so long to come through anyway? My pal is a teacher and they are given self-test kits that give an instant result. Surely that’s what the players should be getting.

Those kits aren’t worth a toss. Completely inaccurate. The tests that the league have agreed to use require lab testing so there’s inevitably a turn around time involved. 

Maybe wait until Monday to make a decision? If any of the three scenarios below play out, the Clyde v East Fife game doesn't matter and you may as well just scrap it and decide the table on average points.

(a) Clyde beat Forfar and Dumbarton (Clyde safe, Dumbarton playoffs)

(b) Clyde draw with Forfar and lose to Dumbarton (Dumbarton safe, Clyde playoffs)

(c) Clyde lose to Forfar and Dumbarton, Forfar fail to beat Peterhead (Dumbarton safe, Clyde playoffs).

If none of those scenarios play out then announce you play Tuesday's games and if Clyde's survival/playoff/relegation status is still undecided then play the East Fife game on Thursday. If Tuesday's games prove decisive, end season on average points and don't bother replaying East Fife game.

If Dumbarton or Forfar are in the playoffs, first leg Saturday.

If Clyde are in playoffs and East Fife game was not replayed, first leg Saturday.

If Clyde are in playoffs and had to play East Fife on Thursday, first leg moved to Sunday.

Clyde aren't disadvantaged by going with PPG. In fact, they're arguably advantaged because they get an extra rest period and their record against East Fife is poorer than against the other sides so getting 1.05 points for the game is, at least, arguably more than they would have got if it was played.

Edited by Gordon EF

You could argue though that our previous encounters were when East Fife had more to play for. Clyde were slight favourites yesterday before the postponement, if that means anything.

Not that I think PPG should be used unless the game is no longer relevant.

Clyde aren't disadvantaged by going with PPG. In fact, they're arguably advantaged because they get an extra rest period and their record against East Fife is poorer than against the other sides so getting 1.05 points for the game is, at least, arguably more than they would have got if it was played.
East Fife have lost all but two away games and had nothing to play for last night. Its impossible to say if Clyde would be disadvantaged or gain an advantage via PPG.

13 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You could argue though that our previous encounters were when East Fife had more to play for. Clyde were slight favourites yesterday before the postponement, if that means anything.

Not that I think PPG should be used unless the game is no longer relevant.

Yeah, I think it's all arguable. Declaring a 3-0 win for Clyde is clearly to their advantage. The other two options aren't so clear cut. you can argue the toss over them. If we play on Thursday and Clyde get a result they need to avoid 9th, you could argue it was to their advantage that they went into teh game knowing what they needed. However, if they don't it would disadvantage them going into a play-off.

As far as East Fife are concerned, none of the various options puts us that up or down. But it's pretty clear that declaring the game forfeit shafts Dumbarton.

55 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Why did the test result take so long to come through anyway? My pal is a teacher and they are given self-test kits that give an instant result. Surely that’s what the players should be getting.

As far I’m led to believe the result that caused the issue was actually pertaining to our match on Thursday, the squad had been previously tested for the E Fife game. This is the issue with the ridiculous schedule  of 3 games in a week. 

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:
24 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

East Fife have lost all but two away games and had nothing to play for last night. Its impossible to say if Clyde would be disadvantaged or gain an advantage via PPG.

Aye, that's kind of my point. You could argue it either way so without knowing what the score would have been, you can't really say it advantages or disadvantages Clyde. Clearly Clyde would bit your hand off for a forfeit and a 3-0 win. But going PPG, getting that bit of rest and having their destiny in their own hands isn't a terrible situation to be in.

1 minute ago, FREDDYFRY said:

As far I’m led to believe the result that caused the issue was actually pertaining to our match on Thursday, the squad had been previously tested for the E Fife game. This is the issue with the ridiculous schedule  of 3 games in a week. 

This is one of things that hopefully gets cleared up. Because from teh statements coming from East Fife, it's pretty clear their understanding was that the positive test came from Saturday, which would obviously make transmission between Clyde players far more likely than if one player tested negative from Saturday and then positive on Tuesday.