Clyde v East Fife

If East Fife are deemed to be ‘guilty’ in the eyes of the SPFL, one possible outcome is that East Fife get a slap on the wrist and the game has to be played next Thursday. In the event that Clyde end up in the playoffs, this hugely disadvantages us (given the first play off game would be the Saturday) and would effectively punish us for someone else’s misdemeanour. On that basis, in the event that East Fife have been deemed guilty, I really can’t see any other outcome than Clyde being awarded a 3-0 win. 
Having said that, this is the SPFL so it’s anyone’s guess. 

9 minutes ago, sydney said:

If East Fife are deemed to be ‘guilty’ in the eyes of the SPFL, one possible outcome is that East Fife get a slap on the wrist and the game has to be played next Thursday. In the event that Clyde end up in the playoffs, this hugely disadvantages us (given the first play off game would be the Saturday) and would effectively punish us for someone else’s misdemeanour. On that basis, in the event that East Fife have been deemed guilty, I really can’t see any other outcome than Clyde being awarded a 3-0 win. 
Having said that, this is the SPFL so it’s anyone’s guess. 

I suspect the minimum we'll get is a small fine and forfeiting the game.

10 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Certainly anything the SPFL or the SFA rule on the best policy is insist on it in writing. Cant remember the exact circumstances but a while back we asked if a certain player was ok to play on the Saturday someone at the SFA said yes which turned out to be wrong, when the club were called before them nobody at Hampden would own up to answering the phone, think we ended up with a suspended sentence because they knew they were in the wrong but would not admit it and had to be seen to punish us.

If it's the game against Ayr during the 14/15 season you are referring to that match was replayed. 

The Airdrie bar breaking incident mentioned upthread was also at Somerset and Ayr were awarded a 1-0 win (that was the score at the time), since it was the last game of the season and Airdrie ceased to exist shortly afterwards.

I may have missed this since there have been a few pages since I last read the thread, but has it been established whether the player in question tested positive after taking one organised by Clyde or whether it was a test he took for other reasons e.g. being a close contact of someone with COVID? If it's the latter, he shouldn't have been near the stadium while waiting on the result.

Aye, pretty much. If the SPFL give East Fife a fine and award the game to Clyde there's nothing East Fife, Dumbarton or anyone else can realistically do. They're judge and jury here. They won't give a f**k.
There's basically one solution that doesn't ensure a total heads gone from at least one club - play the game next Thursday. Odds on the SPFL getting there?

East Fife would be able to appeal any such decision to the SFA, that's what Killie and St Mirren did (successfully).

Would hope the game gets played asap, feel East Fife are getting the thin end of the wedge, it was not as if they did not bother turning up, they were there and ready to go until it would seem information coming to light minutes before kick-off, can understand their reluctance to get involved in the game without full information if that is the case.

21 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I suspect the minimum we'll get is a small fine and forfeiting the game.

IF and it's a big IF it's deemed that EF are at fault I think it will be a forfeit and a suspended fine. I know that smells a bit, but being in the last week of the 22 game season there are limited options.

1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

What happened when Airdrie were going bust & fans ran onto the pitch and broke the crossbar to get the game abandoned in protest? That was the final game of the season, so couldn't be replayed. 

I am pretty sure Ayr were awarded a 3-0 win ( they were 1 up at the protest point)  Curiously we were all given a wee blue stub on the way out just in case it was to be replayed. which I still keep as a memento of bad times.  I will make clear that I did not take part, nor support what happened that day.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

East Fife would be able to appeal any such decision to the SFA, that's what Killie and St Mirren did (successfully).

Given that we're already in a highly-compressed schedule how long would it take to process an appeal ?  We have a dog in this fight too, and I think that the most equitable outcome would also be the common sense one of rescheduling the fixture.  That way we get to avoid years of simmering anger based purely on 'what if'.

I'd have no problems in principle with us finishing ninth if all the fixtures are fulfilled - God knows we've been rank rotten for the most part - and I'm sure most Clyde fans would feel the same.

1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

God knows what decision the disciplinary panel will come up with. 

What happened when Airdrie were going bust & fans ran onto the pitch and broke the crossbar to get the game abandoned in protest? That was the final game of the season, so couldn't be replayed. Or the 1 team in tallinn debacle, that was replayed at a neutral venue. At least no one travelled to the game unlike our Dublin farce a couple of years ago. 

do you remember what happened to hamilton , when they did not fulfil a match against stenhousemuir in 2002. 15 points.

5 minutes ago, iain p said:

do you remember what happened to hamilton , when they did not fulfil a match against stenhousemuir in 2002. 15 points.

I'm sure there will be a worry that a serious points deduction isn't out of the question. Again, you'd hope that the SPFL would be taking into account the vastly different circumstances of the two cases but I don't think many people have too much faith in their decision-making abilities so you never know.

3 minutes ago, iain p said:

Did that happen during a pandemic ? 

Completely different circumstances this time around. It would be morally wrong to impose a match forfeit on East Fife as this penalises Dumbarton who have broken no rules.

It's time for common sense to trump the standard rule book - get the original fixture rescheduled ASAP and East Fife to get nothing worse than a verbal warning.

Surely applying common sense isn't beyond those bureaucratic morons at Hampden.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Because it is by any reasonable definition of the word, it's an exceptional circumstance.

Might be just me but I generally don't find "because it's the way we've always done it" to be a good argument for pretty much anything.

That’s two words.  It is you who are deciding for some reason it is exceptional rather than yet another situation arising from Covid.   It maybe is just you as following the laid down rules and processes pretty much is sound sense if you want order rather than chaos.  If the Football authorities just made decisions arbitrarily on a whim you would be complaining no doubt 

1 minute ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

That’s two words.  It is you who are deciding for some reason it is exceptional rather than yet another situation arising from Covid.   It maybe is just you as following the laid down rules and processes pretty much is sound sense if you want order rather than chaos.  If the Football authorities just made decisions arbitrarily on a whim you would be complaining no doubt 

Fucking hell. The word I was referring to, which you used, was the word 'exceptional'. Just because I used that word as a verb in a sequence of other words doesn't really mean you've caught me in a witty gotcha.

Set rules and processes are good when you're dealing with common occurrences and/or situations that are clearly defined and catered for within existing rules and regulations. I think these are exceptional circumstances i.e. circumstances that are unusual or atypical. So it's my opinion that not just handling it as if it's a run of the mill scenario would be sensible.

You obviously disagree. And that's fine. I'm not really sure why you're taking it so personally.

Fucking hell. The word I was referring to, which you used, was the word 'exceptional'. Just because I used that word as a verb in a sequence of other words doesn't really mean you've caught me in a witty gotcha.

It’s an adjective, mate.