Clyde v East Fife

Just now, sons exile said:

Ok - it is not mandatory but most teachers are testing before attending school.

And the lateral flow might be less accurate - but surely its better than what we are witnessing in situations like last night.

It isn’t, because the LFT are more likely to give inaccurate results as you say. Half the league could give false positives and throw the entire season into chaos at various points in the season when they might have given a negative PCR test. 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He’s said the JRG weren’t consulted. Possible that Clyde asked the wrong people if the game could go ahead.

If we asked the wrong people then what authority do they people have to OK the game to go ahead then, if it's meant to be a JRG decision?

Edited by C. Muir

16 minutes ago, Darkness78 said:

Darren Young on Twitter stating that to his knowledge JRG were not contacted 

Firstly, I agree with EF that there was no reason to put players at risk (or their families). 

Secondly, all of this will surely be clarified in the next 48 hours or so ( you would like to think).

The one thing in the above that doesn't quite hang together is Darren's statement about 'to his knowledge the JRG were not contacted'. He may be right, but as it was Clyde's home game, Clyde's player with a test - would Clyde not be most likely to be responsible for contacting the authorities, and if so, then Clyde should be communicating who was approached and what their advice was? 

Darren Young can surely only know if the JRG were involved through 2nd/3rd hand chat.

Anyway. We'll see.

As I said 6 weeks ago. NULL AND VOID. It's too late now for that, but....

13 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Would Darren Young know whether we had contacted the ERG or not, surely those discussions would’ve been had at board level?

Wes deserve to know what Jacob Rees-Mogg's opinion on this is!

1 minute ago, C. Muir said:

If we asked the wrong people then what authority do they people have to OK the game to go ahead then, if it's meant to be a JRG decision?

I have absolutely no idea, I’m just saying that it’s possible for both the East Fife statement and Darren Young’s statement to be true.

5 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It isn’t, because the LFT are more likely to give inaccurate results as you say. Half the league could give false positives and throw the entire season into chaos at various points in the season when they might have given a negative PCR test. 

The latest data from the GMC states "New analysis published today shows lateral flow tests (LFD) to have a specificity of at least 99.9% when used to test in the community and could be as high as 99.97%."

Somehow I think the possibility of throwing the season into chaos is nowhere close to reality.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

For every single fixture played, players can only travel to the match if they have a negative test within 168 hours (ie 1 week) of kick-off. I think clubs are testing twice a week, so any test that the Clyde players did in the latter part of last week would have been sufficient for last night's match.

What has happened here, however, is that the Clyde players have taken their next set of routine tests after the game on Saturday, and the results of these happen to have arrived just before last night's match kicked off.

To me, this seems to be the central point.

Both teams had initially ticked all the necessary boxes to play last night.

But...

The results of the test that determined Clyde players' fitness to play their Thursday night game became available just before kick off, and those results highlighted a positive test.

In light of the new evidence, not playing seems absolutely the right thing to do regardless of the football-related impacts.

I think folk have to take into account that this all took place in the space of about half an hour. It's perfectly plausible that there was some innocent mix up or failure of communication between East Fife, Clyde, the JRG, the SPFL and the match officials about what decisions were made and what the situation was.

1 hour ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Indeed. Presumably these guys go home to wives , kids/ girlfriends.

Some will have other jobs and contact with the outside world.

Nonsense to think the football 'bubble' is going to eradicate transmission of any virus.

It's really important that the wife never knows about the girlfriend in these situations.

10 hours ago, Bogheidman said:

That’s very true and your condescension aside, there are footballing ramifications that need to be taken into account. Awarding another team a win due to their opponents deciding not to play a game that was deemed ok to go ahead isn’t right. Particularly when it has huge implications for other teams, i.e. us.

You are absolutely correct, I would be raging if I was in Dumbarton’s  position. Where is the fairness or integrity if Dumbarton end up in the playoffs due to these circumstances that is totally out of their control.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think going by club’s official statements is probably for the best here, not some Twitter phone note statement from Darren Young.

I thought this too. I'd have found it a bit weird if Danny Lennon had posted a statement from Notes on his phone. I don't think anyone is disupting that East Fife were well within their rights not to play the game either. I don't find him drawing reference to our outbreak earlier in the season to be relevant to last night either. The only people who can come out and say if they okayed the game is the JRG. Until then, this finger pointing isn't helping anyone.

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I think folk have to take into account that this all took place in the space of about half an hour. It's perfectly plausible that there was some innocent mix up or failure of communication between East Fife, Clyde, the JRG, the SPFL and the match officials about what decisions were made and what the situation was.

Absolutely this. There was clearly some ammount of panic. Of course I am biased, but the idea that Clyde tried to stronghand East Fife into playing the game seems a bit mental too. I've seen Tweets saying 'Clyde FC are scum with their lack of morals'. Quite possibly so, but I don't think this applied last night.

Also, could SOMEONE please release a statement about the testing because I am losing the will to live seeing gammons posting "Ah but he should never have been playin or on bus or in changin if the test was positive dock Clyde points pls!!!111"

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

So the whole Clyde team were waiting on their test results for Thursday last night? I doubt it.

They have to be informed 48 hrs before playing, Thursdays match test results came in almost exactly 48 hrs before said match, i would imagine the test results for last night match all came back negative and there was no issue with playing the game until Thursdays results came through I don’t understand why that is so difficult to comprehend, perhaps if the results had been received sooner this situation could have been avoided and dealt with better without a snap decision having to be made minutes before kick off.