Clyde v East Fife

It does seem extremely strange the JRG would give the go ahead at such short notice, after a positive test. I can't see the SPFL being keen to award the game either way.
Looking at turnaround of previous Covid investigations by the SPFL we should have a decision by the end of November.

Its likely the tests conducted tonight for Thursdays match has shown something. Possibly before team assembling and the decision to play made by the JRG to play. EF refused to play and its possible isolation happened immediately without compromising Thursday.

East Fife players up in arms about it. Possibly more so about the wording of Clyde’s statement. Without knowing any details, I can see why they would be annoyed by the statement but Clyde’s statement could be completely factually accurate if indeed the  JRG gave the go ahead. Not saying that I would have played had in been in the position of the East Fife players.

This East Fife fan seems absolutely seething too. I highly doubt anybody connected with Clyde either a) coerced with the JRG to play the game or b) demanded that East Fife must play.

38064941-3BE9-4291-B731-2B95CC4BD6C9.jpeg.2a09905fb53934769a8076bae5286c73.jpeg

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Well it wasn't looking like you boys were going to get yourself out of relegation bother so we had to pump Dumbarton and forfeit the game tonight to help out.

No need to thank us.

We've decided to keep Clyde up. I expect a Thank you. 

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/international/breaking-clyde-v-east-fife-postponed-following-positive-covid-19-test-3216443

Breaking: Clyde v East Fife postponed following positive Covid-19 test

Darren Young fully backed his players after they refused to take part in Tuesday night's away fixture at Clyde.

By Scott Inglis

Tuesday, 27th April 2021, 8:26 pm

East Fife's match at Clyde was called off at the very last second

As both teams were making their way out onto the park to start the game, matchday officials and safety officers approached the Bayview management team to advise them that a Clyde player had tested positive for Covid-19.

There was some confusion in the minutes that followed, the two sets of players continuing to warm up, with it announced kick off would initially be delayed by 15 minutes.

But it quickly became apparent that something serious was going on behind the scenes and representatives from clubs, plus other officials, discussed matters at length at the dug outs.

It was then confirmed the game had been abandoned with Young revealing he first consulted with his squad before the call was made.

The response from the East Fife players was resounding that the game had to be called off, and Young totally understands the reasons why.

He said: "One of their players has come back as testing positive and found out 40 minutes ago.

"Why it has happened that late towards a game I don't have a clue.

"The guy in question, whoever that may be, was on one of the buses up to Peterhead on Saturday and may well have passed it on, we don't know.

"He was also in changing tonight and done the warm up as well until they found out about the test and sent him away.

"I possibly would have been ok to play but I needed to speak to the players and the chairman.

"The chairman was a no and and then when I spoke to the guys, three or four of them have partners who are pregnant so I definitely could not put guys like that at risk.

"The boys were also saying that if they played against players who have been around this guy then they might have to self isolate through the track and trace.

"Will their employer pay them if they can't work for 10 or 12 days?

"So that was it and I'll back my players to the hilt.

"The decision was no."

A Clyde statement said: "The club can confirm that, following a positive Covid-19 test in the squad tonight, a review was conducted by the Joint Response Group, who subsequently confirmed that tonight's Clyde v East Fife match could go ahead.

"However, East Fife took the decision not to fulfil the fixture, leaving the referee with no option but to postpone the match.

"The club will make further comment when possible."

It’s easily justified why East Fife players didn’t want to play tonight especially when the Clyde player who tested positive was on the bus with others to Peterhead on Saturday and only found out 40 minutes before kick off tonight. I can also see why we wanted to play after given the all clear. Match should be rescheduled for next Thursday if possible, don’t think either team deserve to be given a 3-0 loss or win.

Guest andyp1301
43 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

If it has been the lateral flow tests with a positive does it not need confirmed by PCR test? Clutching at straws here I know.

Was PCR

1 minute ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I find it difficult to believe that the JRG would have given us permission to play if there had been 40 minutes before KO. Maybe I'm wrong and Clyde have said as much, but I suspect EF might have a different view whenever they issue a statement.

I think we're fucked here tbh.

1 minute ago, bullyweehutch said:

In reality it shouldn't have got to this. The JRG should have categorically said no to this game going ahead but chose to force it on to save face over a split

That's what I was thinking. Seems absolutely mental that they've said the game can go ahead. Don't want to be all Maude Flanders about it but surely players health comes before the game and in that case, there's only one reasonable decision?

In reality it shouldn't have got to this. The JRG should have categorically said no to this game going ahead but chose to force it on to save face over a split
I think this is highly likely. It also seems, based entirely on the tweets of our players, there may be a wee bit more to the story.

That's what I was thinking. Seems absolutely mental that they've said the game can go ahead. Don't want to be all Maude Flanders about it but surely players health comes before the game and in that case, there's only one reasonable decision?
Exactly but it's only east fife and Clyde who cares. There is only 2 teams that matter in scotland to the powers that be anyway