Saints v Saintees, Scottish Cup Semi-final Sunday 09/05/2021 14:15

4 minutes ago, weebud said:

You believe (make believe) what you like love.

As I say, if we're gauging the clubs reactions, I'll probably believe what the club say, rather than a shite hack journalist, tbh.

Bit weird to try and claim that's a daft approach.

Starting to get nervy now.

My confidence is pretty low for this one; St Johnstone were thoroughly decent against Rangers, and you can barely separate the sides this season - two 1-0 homes wins in Perth, a 3-2 home win in Paisley. Identical league records save for that all-important goal difference. St Johnstone obviously had a great LC win, though their semi final performance was way more impressive than the win over Livi IMO.

We've shown we can literally beat any team in Scotland (aside from Hibs, for some reason) on our day, but anyone being truthful knows we very rarely show up for entire games and our performances over the past couple of months have mostly been leggy and quite laboured. I think we'll struggle against an energetic/athletic St Johnstone team.

I want us to go four at the back, and this is what I would go with:

Alnwick

Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Tait

--------------  JDH - Erhahon ---------------

Connolly/Quaner - McGrath - Durmus

------------------Dennis ---------------------

Square pegs in square holes. McGrath MUST play close to Dennis. Ethan on to allow JDH to get forward. 

Feeling a bit sick just thinking about it, tbh!

What we'll actually go with:

Spoiler

Tait - Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Durmus

-------------------JDH - Erhahon ---------------

----------------------McGrath----------------------

-------------Quaner/Obika(if fit) - Dennis ----------

Edited by Coventry Saint

Starting to get nervy now.
My confidence is pretty low for this one; St Johnstone were thoroughly decent against Rangers, and you can barely separate the sides this season - two 1-0 homes wins in Perth, a 3-2 home win in Paisley. Identical league records save for that all-important goal difference. St Johnstone obviously had a great LC win, though their semi final performance was way more impressive than the win over Livi IMO.
We've shown we can literally beat any team in Scotland (aside from Hibs, for some reason) on our day, but anyone being truthful knows we very rarely show up for entire games and our performances over the past couple of months have mostly been leggy and quite laboured. I think we'll struggle against an energetic/athletic St Johnstone team.
I want us to go four at the back, and this is what I would go with:
Alnwick
Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Tait
--------------  JDH - Erhahon ---------------
Connolly/Quaner - McGrath - Durmus
------------------Dennis ---------------------

Square pegs in square holes. McGrath MUST play close to Dennis. Ethan on to allow JDH to get forward. 
Feeling a bit sick just thinking about it, tbh!
What we'll actually go with:
Spoiler

Tait - Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Durmus
-------------------JDH - Erhahon ---------------
----------------------McGrath----------------------
-------------Quaner/Obika(if fit) - Dennis ----------

He has to go with your suggested set up rather than 3-5-2. The worry is that Goodwin has seen fit to f**k about this season in the scenarios of big games or games against St Johnstone. So hopefully given this game fits both criteria he throws it all out the window and plays a team to give us best chance of winning rather than the sole focus on stopping St Johnstone. We’ve had a horrendous set-up in the first game at Perth which changed about 4 times in the first half alone I think.
Tait at left back and Durmus ahead of him anything else and we’ll be shooting ourselves in the foot. I’d play Henderson on the right still ahead of Connolly. I’m not sure Dennis is best fit for the lone striker, I wouldn’t be against Quaner playing ahead of him.

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Surprised we don’t know who the 4 players are by now tbh

When we were having our issues, we kept the IDs of affected players very close to our chests. The obvious exception was when Alnwick was +ve and all the keepers were ruled out.

It kind of emerged later down the line that we probably had far more players infected and struggling than we had ever let on.

10 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He has to go with your suggested set up rather than 3-5-2. The worry is that Goodwin has seen fit to f**k about this season in the scenarios of big games or games against St Johnstone. So hopefully given this game fits both criteria he throws it all out the window and plays a team to give us best chance of winning rather than the sole focus on stopping St Johnstone. We’ve had a horrendous set-up in the first game at Perth which changed about 4 times in the first half alone I think.
Tait at left back and Durmus ahead of him anything else and we’ll be shooting ourselves in the foot. I’d play Henderson on the right still ahead of Connolly. I’m not sure Dennis is best fit for the lone striker, I wouldn’t be against Quaner playing ahead of him.

I am incredibly ashamed to admit I'd forgotten about Henderson. I agree, he will start.

If St Johnstone are short of keepers I'd absolutely be starting Dennis - he loves a pot-shot from distance and tends to hit the target, but yeah, wouldn't surprise me to see Quaner in that position.

The last time we reached a Scottish Cup Final. Skills from McDowall at the start there. [emoji7]
Funny how less 'wild' fans actually used to get, even 34 years ago. Limbs definitely wasn't a thing there.

Yet another example of us giving the Jambos a teaching in a big game.

25 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

rather than the sole focus on stopping St Johnstone. 

Tbf sitting deep and forcing us to try and create something is the best strategy tbh, but a lot of clubs seem too "proud" to try that against us, and Goodwin would get hellish abuse if it backfires.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Like the other nobody who had a go at me I actually couldn’t care less about what you think. It’s a fucken football forum and I happened to mention a mate and wished him and his team all the best in a cup final. It won’t happen again so away and get a life you attention seeking p***k.

Good grief. 

I'm remarkably calm about this game. Can't quite believe it as I thought my arse would be making buttons by now, especially now given that it's very much an open competition with both arsecheeks papped out.

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm remarkably calm about this game. Can't quite believe it as I thought my arse would be making buttons by now, especially now given that it's very much an open competition with both arsecheeks papped out.

Just gonna bookmark this for Sunday morning 😂

Brophy back for St Mirren.

Contrasting build up, this. One side losing players while the other strengthens.

Edited by RandomGuy.