Saints v Saintees, Scottish Cup Semi-final Sunday 09/05/2021 14:15

St Mirrens season feels reminiscent to ours in 10/11, while our record v Hibs feels like ours v United In 13/14.

Let's hope that means something.

Nerves kicking in a wee bit now.

Will be interesting to see how we combat StJs pressing and Rooney down our left channel. 4 at the back would mean Durmus higher up maybe trying to exploit the right hand side, maybe draw another mental red card from Kerr again (won't be as daft in a semi).

My worry is Shaughnessy and McCarthy. They can't defend the way they have in previous games against the Perth Saints and Killie in the previous round. Too many brain farts that cost us.

Another worry is the lack of chances we have created against them this season, especially in the Perth games, what was it 1 shot on target in the 2 games? Goodwin has to come up with something that allows us to create against a mean set up, whilst keeping them out the other end.

We need everything to come together for a compete 90+minute performance, maybe even 120. We need to be at our absolute best for the whole game to have a chance, something which we have rarely done all season.

Nerves kicking in a wee bit now.

Will be interesting to see how we combat StJs pressing and Rooney down our left channel. 4 at the back would mean Durmus higher up maybe trying to exploit the right hand side, maybe draw another mental red card from Kerr again (won't be as daft in a semi).

My worry is Shaughnessy and McCarthy. They can't defend the way they have in previous games against the Perth Saints and Killie in the previous round. Too many brain farts that cost us.

Another worry is the lack of chances we have created against them this season, especially in the Perth games, what was it 1 shot on target in the 2 games? Goodwin has to come up with something that allows us to create against a mean set up, whilst keeping them out the other end.

We need everything to come together for a compete 90+minute performance, maybe even 120. We need to be at our absolute best for the whole game to have a chance, something which we have rarely done all season.

You know that it’s football and anything can happen. A cm can make the difference. Look at our QF v Rangers. It’s why we love the game. One of us will be elated, the other dejected.

I’ve held off posting on here before now, there’s clearly a lot of nonsense being spouted and it’s never worth getting involved in it. 

Whatever happens in this game, as a St Johnstone fan we’ve had a terrific season, after a woeful start. The one thing we know about this team is that they’ll give it a go and won’t ever lack determination and guts. If St Mirren win, then it’ll be because they have outplayed us and deserve to win and if that’s the case then it’ll be well done to them and hope they lose the final, so we have a chance at Europe. Jim Goodwin is clearly a decent coach who’s evolving and changing his squad to improve. Same with Davidson, he’s done the exact same this season. I’m maybe in the minority here, but there’s not a clear favourite in this game, unlike the other semi. These two teams are pretty evenly matched and that’s been proven this season, so flip a coin. 

Hopefully it’s a cracking game, unspoilt by refereeing decisions, controversy and poor play. 

@Radford has pretty much summed it up for me. Apprehensive because we’re St Johnstone - it has to go wrong at some point. I really hope that’s not today but this is a game that will most likely be tight and could go either way.

I rewatched the highlights of our two home games against St Mirren last night. Those were probably two of our most dominant performances of the season - particularly the first one - but we only managed a single goal victory in both games. We know what our team, playing at its best, can do against today’s opposition. But equally, I can’t see St Mirren being nearly as passive as in either of those earlier matches.

Big performances required. We know we have it in us - let’s see it again this afternoon.

If we lose I hope we at least go down fighting. Not literally obviously.

The LC semi final was one of our most abject and disappointing performances of the season. Time to make up for that.

Starting to get butterflies now. As others have said, it feel almost inevitable that we’ll stumble at this hurdle where folk might expect us to clear. 

However, on our current form and even with a couple of changes, fringe players have come in and done well this season, I’m quietly confident that we’re winning this. Much like I was for the League Cup final. 

COYS

Really weird buildup to this game for me, what with the election and my work meaning I haven’t really had a spare minute to even think about it. For the Hibs and Livingston Hampden games I was nervous for at least a week beforehand, whereas even now I keep having to remind myself it’s happening. I think feeling the bitter sweetness of not getting to see the game in person more this time too now we’ve already experienced winning a cup behind closed doors ... really will be a fucking joke if we win the cup double and treble our trophy count without seeing a single game! Some hope Sturgeon might let fans into the final but that’s definitely one for another day...

Two up top worked well against St Mirren earlier in the season and I’d like to see that here, Kane and Melamed. Not too unhappy if one of them drops out for O’Halloran or Middleton who are having a good few weeks - as it is I would rather they are an option from the bench though.

1-1 AET (0-3 pens) Bobby Zlamal last minute equaliser followed by St Mirren shootout collapse.

1 minute ago, Fife Saint said:

There's no chance of fans at the final, it's not a political or health decision preventing it either. It's utter incompetence from the SFA again that is to blame.

Don't forget laziness, and the fact that they won't give enough of a shit about any of the teams involved to make it happen.

Could absolutely be done safely if they wanted to.

Watching clips of our last Scottish Cup Semi makes missing this even worse, btw.

The roar at both goals, the "who the f**k is Stevie May" somg back to the Aberdeen fans who outnumbered us about 10 to 1, the nerves at half time blown away by the fans doing their challenge woefully, and the keeper getting crocked 😅

Tl:Dr no fans at games is shite.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Media clearly at a loss of what to do with the OF out the picture, so fallen back on wedging them into transfer rumours.

It's apparently a big story that Celtic will watch McCann play today, as if that's not been happening for at least a year.

We're also apparently selling Jason Kerr for £300k this Summer to Hibs.

4 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

You are usually a decent poster on here, a rarity given your team of choice, but you’re slowing slipping towards an abomination.

Relax.

Firstly, I appreciate the compliment at the beginning of your post so I shall be open with you. I am an anxious mess. Therefore I’m trying to push all of the pressure and expectations onto St Mirren FC instead. Apologies if my standards have slipped because of this. It’s my only coping mechanism.

Been a torrid week for saints this week. Training severely hampered with the covid carry on. Going to take a hell of an effort from all involved to get to the final. If we ever needed the gaffer to nail the tactics and formation it's today. Hoping for the best but got horrible feeling we go out today.