Saints v Saintees, Scottish Cup Semi-final Sunday 09/05/2021 14:15

In all seriousness I doubt you'll get a better chance of a Final anytime soon. A stretched squad who hadn't trained all week FFS.

Only got themselves to blame. 3 clear, unmissable, chances and miss them all.

Middleton coming on to expose the gaps Durmus left was a good move, made brilliant by Galaxy Brain Goodwin bringing Tait off to also expose your right side. 

As poor as we've played in a while, but it should improve for the Final, unless we yet again lose 4 players and half a week in the build up.

I think Tait going off changed the game more than Middleton coming on. St. Mirren were wide open after the change in formation which seemed completely unnecessary based on the balance of play at the time. 
Goodwin fucked it.

Goodwin has been fucking it all season, sadly. Some might see it as a successful season, but absolutely no St Mirren fan is looking back on this in five, 10, 20 years time as anything other than another one to forget.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirrens greatest side in 30 years well on course for a 9th placed finish and 2 semi final defeats, a wee shame.

Well played Sainteeees,  I sincerely wish you all the best in the final. 

Puo6zl.gif

Steven Thompson looks like he’s gonna cry. Hahahah get it right up you

This team have been an absolute joy to watch through a long lockdown this year - even though we weren’t particularly good by our standards today we were still easy on the eye and got the job done. So pleased for Kano who has spent so long doing the unsung stuff and giving his all for the club, now he’s the guy scoring the cup semi winners. Top finish and performance from him. Centre halves superb and Liam Gordon is a colossus. Also a word for Cal Booth who was unreal.

Obvs all credit to Callum Davidson. Not much that hasn’t already been said but he is probably the best St Johnstone manager ever. I don’t see how anyone else in history could come close to a league cup/Scottish cup final, not to mention how brilliantly coached this side is. Good impact sub today too - would be great to keep Middleton.Not even debatable if we win the cup and end up in European group stages but that’s for another day.

As for St Mirren, after all the hype earlier on they’ve shat it in two semi finals and will probably finish 9th. Clearly a good side there with good players but I’d hate to support a team with such a clear mentality issue and a manager as arrogant as Jim G..

St Johnstone the better side over the game, but we created, and missed, the better chances.

Still some slightly mystifying managerial decisions. Erhahon was awful today and I called it on this very thread about 15mins into the game. I know he's young but he should've been hooked at half time.

Introduction of Middleton was the difference in the end, and not just for the free kick, thought he added a bit of poise and movement that caused us trouble.

Obviously the game might be different if we get the (absolutely clear) penalty, but we missed too many other chances to blame that shite decision for the defeat. 

Congratulations St Johnstone. It was a decent game and they've definitely got an ability to get a job done. Hate to admit it, but if they can add a bit to their team this summer they could be very good next season.

I think Tait going off changed the game more than Middleton coming on. St. Mirren were wide open after the change in formation which seemed completely unnecessary based on the balance of play at the time. 
Goodwin fucked it.
Can't really argue with that tbh. Davidson's changes made them more of a threat, Jim's tied one hand behind our back.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Good game. Hopefully Glenn Middleton is starting to put it all together now.

Give us him for another season, pls.

Well done St Johnstone, hope you manage the double in a couple of weeks. That’s the third big game this season where we’ve been nowhere near good enough and Jim has to take responsibility.

Doyle-Hayes, Durmus and Tait all did well but not many positives apart from that. Erhahon and McGrath didn’t turn up, zero effort tracking back and barely played a forward pass. Alnwick fucked it for the second although it was well hit, but I’m not having a go at him after all the times he’s bailed us out this season.

Erwin did pretty well but has to score that chance and Quaner was atrocious. You’d fancy Dennis to score any of those three big chances really.

Quite frankly Goodwin’s chucked it away again. Why did Tait come off for Connolly when St Johnstone were starting to threaten down that wing? Why didn’t Flynn or Cammy come on when our central midfield was dogshit? Why is Obika not getting on ahead of Brophy? All baffling decisions to me.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hate to admit it, but if they can add a bit to their team this summer they could be very good next season.

I'd be surprised if we can. McCann will almost certainly be gone, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the CBs leave too. Just trying to enjoy this squad while we can, tbh.

Be interesting to see how St Mirren respond. We lost, I think, 4 Semis in 5/6 years before our Scottish win, so it's not some devastating blow to lose these games if you respond correctly. Someone needs to slow Goodwin down though, you weren't in any danger until he decides to chase the game by bringing Connolly on. Like he felt he had show he was trying to win the game, rather than just accept it might take penalties, wonder how much your performance v Livi played into that.

Edited by RandomGuy.