Saints v Saintees, Scottish Cup Semi-final Sunday 09/05/2021 14:15

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Biggest issue for me will be the advantage the athletic Saintees side will have on that massive Hampden Park pitch.

I said he same in the Livy game and apparently the pitch is the same size as ours, the sweeping stands make it look more expansive 

3 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

I said he same in the Livy game and apparently the pitch is the same size as ours, the sweeping stands make it look more expansive 

Providing Dundee United's eye bleeding football today hasn't had an adverse effect on the pitch, the Hampden pitch is more suited to our style of passing football. 

Crucial that we play with the intensity and effort level we have the last few games. Press St Mirren high and try to force errors. Limit their chances and make sure we take ours when they come. Really the same game plan as we’ve deployed since the turn of the year.

If the missing quartet is as advised we’ll surely go:

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Bryson Booth

Melamed Kane Wotherspoon

Alnwick

Fraser.  McCarthy.  Shaunessy  Tait

JDH.            Erhahon

Connolly.          McGrath.          Durmus

Obika

Hoping we start with this line up, if we do I'm confident we'll win this.....

Usually we have the bigger test in the semi-final before playing a diddy team in the final, so this is a nice change of pace. As mentioned before, however, this Covid situation has changed everything. St Mirren should be winning at a canter now. Would be quite embarrassing if they didn’t, to tell the truth.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Usually we have the bigger test in the semi-final before playing a diddy team in the final, so this is a nice change of pace. As mentioned before, however, this Covid situation has changed everything. St Mirren should be winning at a canter now. Would be quite embarrassing if they didn’t, to tell the truth.

Football Soccer GIF by Apple TV

*screams internally*

Yeah not getting worked up. Whatever will be, will be. We've had a great season regardless of what happens today and still a chance of Europe.

*internal screaming gets louder*

Best of luck to both teams involved.

tumblr_e5a04914cd862d1ae3c14dbba70740bd_72bd3069_250.jpg.221f93d987365d4bf28ebdcd3e42e500.jpg

You are usually a decent poster on here, a rarity given your team of choice, but you’re slowing slipping towards an abomination.

Relax.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren currently favourites at the bookies. Half of all bets going on them.

Screenshot_20210509-083145_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a090f6f3e435359a18a93f37de801f07.jpg

I mean it doesn't matter where bets are going. Half the bets are going on St. Mirren as St. Johnstone are significant favourites still so people are obviously seeing value in St. Mirren. 

St. Johnstone still comfortably favoured currently though bookies are somewhat on the fence. 

Screenshot_20210509_083642_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a5c541b0d4473cab3670cb8044b73362.jpg

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren currently favourites at the bookies. Half of all bets going on them.

Screenshot_20210509-083145_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a090f6f3e435359a18a93f37de801f07.jpg

Clearly RG is not a betting man ! 

Enjoy the game. Shame no fans are allowed. That is a bugger and even worse for the finalists !

If I had to choose I would go with St Mirren.  St Johnstone winning two trophies in one season would make their fans even more unbearable. A solitary league cup win whilst very decent is nothing set against a cup double. 

That said the projected £3m St Mirren would win from European football would give them a hefty war chest and probably help them finish above Motherwell in the league for the 1st time since pretty much dinosaurs were roaming the earth.

Ahead of the League Cup final, Livingston were desperate to palm off the favourites tag. I said at the time, Saints should happily embrace being handed it in that case and go in with confidence. I believed we'd win that game. 

A week ago, St Johnstone were the favourites for this tie. The teams maybe finished only goals apart but they'd been travelling in very different directions since Xmas. What came out in Thursday has thrown everything in the air though. There is no way of knowing how St Johnstone will react to such a disrupted week, no matter which players were impacted. 

Callum Davidson is a very good coach and he's shown that this season. It's a pleasure to watch a St Johnstone team that has so much direction, structure and even style about. But this week will have been a huge test of his actual management skills. He'll keep a cool head himself but the hope is he has managed to focus the minds of the players. 

Both sides will clearly try to play down what has happened for opposite but obvious reasons but everyone knows it is the case. 

Despite being favourites initially, I've had a bad feeling about the game since the draw and this constant feeling that there has to be a bump in the road when St Johnstone are having such a good season. Thursday maybe didn't smash us off the road but it's certainly put us off track. The other factor in play was the fire in the St Mirren belly. A limp Hampden performance in February and blowing the top six at Hamilton. St Johnstone fans know from 2014 and beating Aberdeen at Ibrox after a heavy defeat in the League Cup semi-final what that sense of needing to right and wrong can draw out of you.

I'm probably more confident about Wednesday night at Celtic Park than I am about today. 

We'll see if that softens the blow come full-time. I doubt it.