The Caley v Ayr United

Big thing for us is to always be in the game.  That way the other two can never be in a position where they are both comfortably safe no matter the score.   Can't afford to be 2 or 3 down by HT like up at Arbroath last week.   Because if Arbroath feel like they need to beat Morton to be absolutely safe I'd fancy them to do so. 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Big thing for us is to always be in the game.  That way the other two can never be in a position where they are both comfortably safe no matter the score.   Can't afford to be 2 or 3 down by HT like up at Arbroath last week.   Because if Arbroath feel like they need to beat Morton to be absolutely safe I'd fancy them to do so. 

Arbroath don't need to beat Morton to be absolutely safe. A draw guarantees they finish above Morton.

Arbroath don't need to beat Morton to be absolutely safe. A draw guarantees they finish above Morton.

Surely they’d rather just try and get an early goal or two and kill off Morton quickly to make it far less nervy. Plus if they win and you lot get beat then they could end up 6th which would be a decent incentive for them.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely they’d rather just try and get an early goal or two and kill off Morton quickly to make it far less nervy. Plus if they win and you lot get beat then they could end up 6th which would be a decent incentive for them.

Oh they'll want to win and as you suggest if they do they'll possibly beat us to 6th position, but they don't need to in terms of safety.

30 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I'm going into this on Friday as drunk as a skunk - don't know about anyone else!

Aye me too. Also got a beer garden booked for Saturday and Sunday.

Please don’t ruin what should be a class weekend, Ayr. 

48 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye by "absolutely safe" I'm more meaning that they could be drawing with Morton yet still safe if they conceded a late winner.  Which only happens if Ayr are well behind. 

Edited by Hursty

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Ah fair enough. That makes sense. An anxious few days for the fans of all 3 clubs involved.

I'm leaving Ayr at around 4pm to drive to Portpatrick on Friday afternoon, just putting as much distance between myself and the actual game as possible.  On the other hand I'll be able to hear the wild celebrations from Stranraer and Dumfries around 10pm as the Ayrshire giants slip in to the playoffs 😢