Arbroath v Morton

On 25/04/2021 at 10:21, Dunning1874 said:

A sensible starting XI:

McAdams

Ledger - Fjortoft - McLean - Strapp

Jacobs - Lyon

Nesbitt - Colville - McGuffie

Oliver

While that's what I'd go for, I can see the arguments for Hynes at right back, or McGinn instead of Colville with Lyon further forward.

On what we've seen so far though MacPherson will definitely have McGinty at left back, probably Strapp at left mid and at least one of Orsi and Muirhead up front - a weaker defence, a less creative midfield and an absence of quality at centre forward.

The time for pissing about with the starting XI is gone. Those are our best players in each position, pick them.

McGinn faded out of the game as our general rubbishness took over on Saturday, but he absolutely has to start here (as you say, for Colville, with Lyon more free). The rest of it is how I'd start, although I'd want it to look more like a 4-3-3 than a 4-2-3-1. We might finish the game with Jacobs-Lyon-Colville, but it's not how we should start it.

There's also a temptation to go back to three at the back to get Nesbitt off the wing and more involved in and around the box. Whatever happens, if we don't play three in the middle and instead 'match-up' Arbroath's likely 4-4-2, I'll greet. 

Think we all know that McPherson won't drop McGinty, though; I can live with that if he drops the pair of imposters up front.

Might seem like a curious thing to say going into this (although it's already been said): even if we stay up, McPherson's failed the audition. Early signs were encouraging, but by Saturday we were back to looking like a rabble after the first 25 minutes or so. The players put in a shift, no problem (and some of them are just not very good), but the shape, team selection, and subs were all wrong.

He needs to get everything right on Friday night if we're going to have any chance at all.

It’s a one off game and in this league most games are close so Morton can easily win this. One thing I like about this Arbroath team is the experience they’ve got, I trust our back 4 and DC. Hopefully we turn up and get the job done.

8 hours ago, madton said:

Aye will be interesting if we go in level at half time and Ayr are a few goals down.

Unofficial Gus and Dick nod of let's see this out...then of course Ayr score 2 towards the end, leaving us fecked.

I'm tempted to buy both games and turn my phone off for 90 minutes..

If Ayr go a couple of goals down (or even a goal down) then there is zero chance of a comeback up in Inverness.   Ayr absolutely have to score first or just shitfest the 0-0 (more likely as we have had 5 x 0-0 draws already this season and have scored once in 5 games in April).   

20 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Arbroath May settle for and be happy with a draw come full time but there’s no way we’ll set out with that intention. If we win and Queen of the South lose then we would end up 6th, a big incentive to go all out for the win.

Is it a big incentive for the players and manager though? Does it really matter to them if you finish 6th or 7th? I know it's an extra few quid for the club but I doubt your players will care.

Understand they are on a staying up bonus so they would  get that regardless.

3 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I'll listen out for the same clatter when Morton land in League 1.

There’s probably more chance of your lot still being in this division next term than our lot, but a reasonable chance of both being here. Till then, off you pop, your opinions are of no interest to any of us on here.  🚮

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

The atmosphere are Gayfield tonight would have been absolutely electric. 

It’ll certainly be electric in my hoose. Dreading it, can’t decide to watch or not. Probably will as that’s marginally more bearable then constantly pressing the refresh button.

29 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

It’ll certainly be electric in my hoose. Dreading it, can’t decide to watch or not. Probably will as that’s marginally more bearable then constantly pressing the refresh button.

I’m pretty confident if I’m honest. Great spirit in this squad. 

I just don't see how we win this. We're unlikely to keep a clean sheet and the idea of scoring twice is far fetched; we've only managed that in the league six times all season and only once in MacPherson's 7 league games. Hopefully we have a sensible attacking lineup to at least give us a chance of goals, but after the ridiculous team selections recently I'm not expecting it.

Our best hope is ICT winning while we cling on for a draw, but you have to say a defeat is the most likely result here.

Nothing but dread for this. Already pretty much mentally resigned to the fact we’re in the playoffs, any escape would be a very welcome surprise. There’s no way we’re capable of winning up there, and whilst Ayr are mince - Caley have absolutely nothing to play for. Can only see things going one way.  

Morton, who haven't won in 5 and haven't scored against this Arbroath team yet this season, away to the joint best home form in the league.

Please remember a draw is enough for you Arbroath, and just might be for us.

The big day has arrived.

Both teams will be desperate not to lose tonight and it's going to be a nervous match.

Provided Arbroath can maintain their outstanding run of form I think it will be a home win - all the players have been excellent.

Morton will have different ideas - so it's not going to be easy for either team.

Predicting a home win - this is based on Arbroath's  form and fine run of performances.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

I just don't see how we win this. We're unlikely to keep a clean sheet and the idea of scoring twice is far fetched; we've only managed that in the league six times all season and only once in MacPherson's 7 league games. Hopefully we have a sensible attacking lineup to at least give us a chance of goals, but after the ridiculous team selections recently I'm not expecting it.

Our best hope is ICT winning while we cling on for a draw, but you have to say a defeat is the most likely result here.

I mostly agree with this, but I'm not sure where we find a sensible attacking lineup. We've whittled down our number of strikers to 2, and they're both a bit rubbish (to put it mildly). Oliver is our best forward, but he's never been any good as a lone striker. We could play a front 3 of Nesbitt, McGuffie, and Oliver, but the argument could be made that they're all best as a number 10 - none of them want to be focused on getting into the box. 

Do we give Lyon a chance in a much more forward role, tell him to get on the end of as much as he can? Colville is another one who will want to drift and look to do things outside the box - Arbroath might like us playing the ball about in circles while they wait to pick holes in our defence. 

Or, given that we don't concede many away from home (especially not early in the game), do we just keep it tight and then look to score if we need to later on? If our best chance is Ayr losing, then we're maybe best not taking too many risks. 

I think playing Jacobs and McGinn deeper in midfield to allow Lyon to get forward so that we don't need to play Muirhead or Orsi is probably where my thinking is at the moment.