Cove Rangers vs Partick Thistle - 27 April

2nd round of championship coming hard on the heels of a hard fought but ultimately deserved victory for Thistle vs Airdrie. 

Up against Rangers at Balmoral, a staunch rest vs Cove. Their draw with Falkirk was good news for the good guys of Maryhill too.

Our meetings have been pretty tight abs Thistle should really have taken more out of the games than one point. Good chance to get our first league win against them on Tuesday.

With Banzo out we were pretty gung-ho first half against Airdrie but only had one goal to show for our efforts. Depending on personnel available we will probably be a little more on the backfoot but we are still capable of striking on the break and enjoying substantial periods of possession. If we can keep Megginson quiet that would go a n8g way to claiming the three points that will have us on the brink of a return to the Championship.

43 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

If both Bannigan and Docherty are out I think it would be 2 from 3 of Geggan, Penrice and Niang for the defensive midfield with Cardle dropping out. Otherwise the same side.

Taking your step ladders along on Tuesday? 🤔

If I could have picked the venues for the post split fixtures this was the one I'd have wanted at home. 

A draw wouldn't be a disaster for us but I hope we don't play for one, think im still recovering from the last 20 minutes of hanging on yesterday. 

Injury for Docherty didn't sound great so hopefully Bannigan is back, and Tiffoney was limping a bit when he went off but I hope that was just cramp. 

Obviously I'd rather be in our position than anyone else's but lose here and it's very much wide open. Win and we're on the home straight. 

On 25/04/2021 at 10:40, Fuctifano said:

If I could have picked the venues for the post split fixtures this was the one I'd have wanted at home. 

A draw wouldn't be a disaster for us but I hope we don't play for one, think im still recovering from the last 20 minutes of hanging on yesterday. 

Injury for Docherty didn't sound great so hopefully Bannigan is back, and Tiffoney was limping a bit when he went off but I hope that was just cramp. 

Obviously I'd rather be in our position than anyone else's but lose here and it's very much wide open. Win and we're on the home straight. 

Agreed.

Our home form is strong; it's a hard place to come for visitors and get the win. Saying that Partick have turned the notch of late and are in the ascendence. I expect a tough match but not insurmountable at all.

We need the 3 points and a bit of luck thereafter. Our performances against the Jags so far have been poor to be fair. Jags will feel they haven't played well against us either.

We are 1 loss in 10 league games, a Fyvie own goal mid week against Montrose in a game that we deserved at least a point. We've let slip a couple of leads in the last  few away games too.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Mitch will undoubtedly be our main threat but I hope we start 4-4-2 and play Rory from the start.

We have Connor Smith who is looking creative in midfield, adds an extra dynamic to the team.

May the best team win.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

With all due respect to our Grampian hosts... etc... fairytale rise from the non-league depths... etc... ‘Rangers’ purely coincidental... etc... we’ll dispatch these yokels with ease.

FC3ED31C-F2F8-44B2-9439-2BC85E61DF64.gif

20 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Our performances against the Jags so far have been poor to be fair. Jags will feel they haven't played well against us either.

Yeah, both games between the sides have been drab, nothing affairs. We’re possibly just two teams who cancel each other out.

Bannigan and/or Docherty could be a big miss. I’ve been somewhat critical of their pairing at CM this season because I feel like they’re too similar, but they’ve undoubtedly been very good recently, and if Bannigan wasn’t missing yesterday perhaps we wouldn’t have been so overrun by Airdrie for the last 30-35 minutes. We really need at least one of them to make it for this game.

We should have won the home game against Cove. I think it was Sena who missed an absolute sitter at 1-0, if that goes in we’d have won comfortably. Can’t remember much about the game up there other than it was absolutely shite and Docherty was at fault for the goal.

As has been said, need at least one of Docherty or Bannigan to make it. I didn’t watch yesterday’s game, and I read that he was quite good but a midfield of Gordon next to one of Penrice, Geggan or Sena just doesn’t inspire the same confidence.

A draw would all but end Cove’s chance of the title, so would expect they’ll be going for it, and given we now have some pace on the break in Tiffoney and Rudden that could suit us. 

16 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Hoping for a draw, if Thistle win then I think it's game over. There's no way we will go to Firhill and come away with anything other than an absolute doing. 

By Thursday Thistle will be running on fumes in the second half. 

If Falkirk can hang in they should have a decent chance , unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, 9queens said:

Unfortunately we are in a hellish state.

A dreadful team with several of the “better” players injured.

Even at full strength I genuinely doubt we would have the guts to win.

This is a team that had a seven point lead with a game in hand and completely shit the bed.

14 hours ago, 9queens said:

This is one of the main concerns with the team for Thursday, we were starting to look tired & run into the ground late on against Airdrie, now to have to go and play against Cove & Falkirk only separated by a day will be extremely difficult for some players I suspect. Hopefully adrenaline carries them through. 

This is one of the main concerns with the team for Thursday, we were starting to look tired & run into the ground late on against Airdrie, now to have to go and play against Cove & Falkirk only separated by a day will be extremely difficult for some players I suspect. Hopefully adrenaline carries them through. 
I can't imagine there'll be any training on Wednesday either. The team will be unlikely to be home by midnight after the match so maybe some light recovery on Wednesday afternoon but wouldn't imagine much more than that. The only downside to being top at the split was having to go to Cove midweek

I'm trying to suppress my usual negativity born from a lifetime of thistle ness. Like many others on here I think the league will be won by either ourselves or cove. Based on Falkirk fans opinions on their team mostly and coves recent stats. So this could be a winner takes all tie and with only 6 points to be played for after tonight this could be the defining match of our season. Didn't expect this 3 weeks ago. Cove win and it's squeaky bum time, AGAIN.

On 26/04/2021 at 10:19, 9queens said:

That's what I thought after the second half at Firhill on Saturday. The thing is, given the way things shape up all players are likely to hit a wall at some point. I am hoping the Jags players recognised that happened and that focus is the only way of getting past it.

Three points tonight would be a hell of an achievement.

Edited by Dr Koop
spill chucker

Convinced myself that if we win tonight we'll wrap it up on Thursday, but if we lose tonight we'll lose on Thursday and also lose in the playoffs. Not sure what happens if we draw. 

Preview says Bannigan and Docherty both 50/50, wonder if they'll try and get a half each out of them especially with the 5 subs. 

59 minutes ago, velo army said:

Concede today's game. Take the 3-0 defeat and go to Falkirk fresh, one point ahead. Pump Falkirk and then finish the job against Montrose. 

Plan.

😱for some unknown reason I thought we were 5 points ahead. Now I'm really bruicking it and my usual negativity is kicking in big time. Hope your scenario doesn't come to pass as I don't think I'll see the end of the season with my ticker.

Would take a draw tonight, will hope for the win, think your 3 nil would knock back our confidence, this top of the league stuff is exhausting. 

Bottom line for me is no matter what, cos Falkirk don't play tonight, we go into Thursdays game 4 points ahead of Falkirk which gives us a psychological advantage I'd think. A cove win tonight might give them a psychological advantage. I need a lie down

Edited by banditjag

15 minutes ago, banditjag said:

😱for some unknown reason I thought we were 5 points ahead. Now I'm really bruicking it and my usual negativity is kicking in big time. Hope your scenario doesn't come to pass as I don't think I'll see the end of the season with my ticker.

Would take a draw tonight, will hope for the win, think your 3 nil would knock back our confidence, this top of the league stuff is exhausting. 

Bottom line for me is no matter what, cos Falkirk don't play tonight, we go into Thursdays game 4 points ahead of Falkirk which gives us a psychological advantage I'd think. A cove win tonight might give them a psychological advantage. I need a lie down

I meant to not show up and concede the game, giving our players rest. I reckon 2 or 4 points from the next two games is plenty.