Divisive tribalism in Scottish football.

Divisive tribalism in Scottish football.

I know we need rivalries and intensity and passion in Scottish football.

But I think the tribalism in Scottish football often gets in the way of creating a system that helps develop teams that can do well in Europe, and that can develop international players.

For instance we know about the Old Firm rivalries.

Where Celtic fans are supposed to hate Rangers, and Rangers fans are supposed to hate Celtic.

But then it starts getting ridiculous when there are beliefs that there are conspiracies in favour of and against both Old Firm sides. How can both be right? How can the Scottish authorities be simultaneously for against against each Old Firm member at the same time.

Then there are other theories that are contradictory and cannot all be true.

Such as;

1. The contradiction of the authorities being in favour of and against both Old Firm sides.

2. The conspiracy theory that the authorities are biased towards both members of the Old Firm.

3. The conspiracy theory that the authorities only care about the West of Scotland.

4. While at the same time both Old Firm clubs think the authorities hate them.

5. That Aberdeen fans claim that the authorities only care about the West of Scotland.

6. That there is a conspiracy against Hearts. Which is why they were relegated,

7. Fans of smaller clubs who think there is conspiracy to only help the big clubs including the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United.

8. Fans who hate opposing clubs to the point of damaging Scottish football. They would rather cut of their nose to spite their face.

9. Fans of small part time clubs who think there should only be part time clubs in the Scottish league.

10. Fans who want other Scottish clubs to be humiliated in Europe.

11. Fans who do not care about how good the international side is.  

12. Fans who want opposing rival Scottish clubs to go out of business. And the next minute want everyone to believe they care about the development of Scottish football.

13. Fans who want Scottish clubs to leave the Scottish league, on the basis that it would help their club, even if it damaged Scottish football as a entirety.

The danger is that if you do not want other Scottish clubs to develop good players or do well in Europe, or even to stay afloat. How on Earth can anyone sincerely take your advice on what is best for Scottish football?

I sincerely want all Scottish clubs to do well in Europe, and develop good players.

To do that I would sincerely want Scottish football clubs to get good TV revenue, crowds, sponsorship, international audiences, and for Scottish people to support Scottish clubs,

Ideas that get stopped due to tribalism are;

1. Putting colt sides in the lower divisions.

My view is that if you had colt teams in lower leagues, then that would help the big sides develop better players for the international side. As young players would get early competitive experience. Yet there are even actual Scottish club coaches who have proudly said it is not the job of lower league clubs to help big clubs develop good players. Well if that is your attitude why should anyone take your seriously? I want every Scottish club from the Old Firm to Lowland and Highland League to develop good players. In fact I would not mind if that meant sending a Scottish player abroad if that helped his development.

It should be the priority of every Scottish football fan for Scottish clubs to develop good international players.

There are fans of smaller part-time clubs who would rather see a part time team finish 3 or 4 places higher in the league system, than Scotland develop good players,

2. Helping Scottish clubs to well in Europe.

3. Helping develop good Scottish international players.

Let me say what I want.

1. Scottish clubs doing well in Europe,

2, Scotland having a strong international side of strong players.

3. Scotland producing and attracting good players.

4. Scotland having a rich variety of big professional and part-time clubs.  .

5. I would love some form of cross border cup on top of domestic and European football. I would like a cup with other European nations. Even with the other Celtic nations.  

My problem with tribalism in football is that, as a neutral, I can't go along and watch a game that I'm interested in. Where the hell would I sit or stand? I'd be pilloried by one set of fans or the other, just for being quietly interested in a game. That's dosh clubs are missing out on by not catering for the neutral, who may well be a supporter of another team but whose team ain't playing at that particular time.

It doesn't matter much, anyway, as football in its current guise is pretty much doomed. Florentino Perez of the European Super League is right to be worried about the game being unattractive to the younger generations, who prefer gaming and more instant rewards. Football needs to be not more than one hour per game, and ten-a-side on a full-size pitch, and not played in freezing conditions if it's to continue its popularity.

Edited by theboke
Moan, moan

22 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Ideas that get stopped due to tribalism are;

1. Putting colt sides in the lower divisions.

My view is that if you had colt teams in lower leagues, then that would help the big sides develop better players for the international side. As young players would get early competitive experience. Yet there are even actual Scottish club coaches who have proudly said it is not the job of lower league clubs to help big clubs develop good players. Well if that is your attitude why should anyone take your seriously? I want every Scottish club from the Old Firm to Lowland and Highland League to develop good players. In fact I would not mind if that meant sending a Scottish player abroad if that helped his development.

It should be the priority of every Scottish football fan for Scottish clubs to develop good international players.

There are fans of smaller part-time clubs who would rather see a part time team finish 3 or 4 places higher in the league system, than Scotland develop good players,

John Collins found IMO.

On 24/04/2021 at 16:35, theboke said:

My problem with tribalism in football is that, as a neutral, I can't go along and watch a game that I'm interested in. Where the hell would I sit or stand? I'd be pilloried by one set of fans or the other, just for being quietly interested in a game. That's dosh clubs are missing out on by not catering for the neutral, who may well be a supporter of another team but whose team ain't playing at that particular time.

It doesn't matter much, anyway, as football in its current guise is pretty much doomed. Florentino Perez of the European Super League is right to be worried about the game being unattractive to the younger generations, who prefer gaming and more instant rewards. Football needs to be not more than one hour per game, and ten-a-side on a full-size pitch, and not played in freezing conditions if it's to continue its popularity.

You just sound like somebody who doesn't understand football. "Tribalism" is what makes it thrive and give it a competitive edge.

You can go and watch any game you want. If you don't like who you stand or sit beside with then how is that anybody's fault other than your own? 

The rest of your post is mental. No right minded football fan would want a shorter game with less players.

Football really doesn't seem like the sport for you.

On 24/04/2021 at 16:35, theboke said:

How many games have you ever been to as a neutral? I've been to hundreds of games at various levels of the SPFL and I've never once felt that I was being verbally abused to such an extent that I couldn't watch the game.

Perez is an absolute pish-merchant. Where is the evidence that young people are abandoning the game and could be won back with shorter games?

Do you think young people will be encouraged along to actually watch games if we turn football grounds into fucking quiet sections?

I've done the 42 whilst not supporting any SPFL side, so I've gone to all 42 clubs as a neutral (and a fair few more than once now). The only places where I felt uncomfortable were Ibrox and Parkhead...

Edited by Marten

On 24/04/2021 at 16:12, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Let me say what I want.

1. Scottish clubs doing well in Europe,

2, Scotland having a strong international side of strong players.

3. Scotland producing and attracting good players.

4. Scotland having a rich variety of big professional and part-time clubs.  .

5. I would love some form of cross border cup on top of domestic and European football. I would like a cup with other European nations. Even with the other Celtic nations.  

Whilst nearly everyone else wants a thriving domestic club game where they can support their side to success.  That is the lifeblood of our game.