Q.P. vs Stranraer

6 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

You can't sugar coat it; that was pretty dreadful. Eight changes was always going to be a gamble but let's give Stranraer a lot of credit for having a right good go. They deserved their win and it's a bit of a wake up call for us all. 

One bad game out if 19; let's not beat ourselves up too much.

Eight changes and only two were forced upon use. Not fair on the other clubs trying to get into the play off places. Actually a disgraceful  decision by the manager.

14 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Eight changes and only two were forced upon use. Not fair on the other clubs trying to get into the play off places. Actually a disgraceful  decision by the manager.

I don't get the eight changes thing. Ok it was eight changes from the line up of the last match, but apart from Mullen and Biggar, the rest were first team regulars that have all had plenty of starts throughout the season.

6 hours ago, Dooflick said:

We don't owe anyone anything. We are entitled to use the full squad as we see fit. We were trying to win the game and didn't. If others don't achieve their goals, it's because they didn't gain enough points in their own games. 

For example, If I were Elgin, I simply wouldn't have shipped five goals at home to Albion Rovers if I fancied a crack at the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I don't get the eight changes thing. Ok it was eight changes from the line up of the last match, but apart from Mullen and Biggar, the rest were first team regulars that have all had plenty of starts throughout the season.

My thoughts exactly. More importantly, I’d expect McKinnon to have a hard look at the squad to decide who’s going to be staying for next season. It’s important for the club that players not part of the plan get a showing for any potential buyers.

18 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Total nonsense!

The manager's job was to win the league. Job done!

Next task is to assemble a squad for next season in league 1. He can play the likes of Biggar and Heraghty and assess their progress knowing any mistakes won't impact on our main objective which has been achieved. Don't forget these fringe and young players don't have any reserve games to get match experience.

I don't give a toss about the other teams, neither should our manager. Our Club is his only priority!!!

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

Total nonsense!

The manager's job was to win the league. Job done!

Next task is to assemble a squad for next season in league 1. He can play the likes of Biggar and Heraghty and assess their progress knowing any mistakes won't impact on our main objective which has been achieved. Don't forget these fringe and young players don't have any reserve games to get match experience.

I don't give a toss about the other teams, neither should our manager. Our Club is his only priority!!!

What about sporting integrity? Were you in favour of the ESL? Is this what has happened to our club now that we are Professional? This is my 180th post and never in any of my previous 179 have I ever criticized a QP manager, coach or player. Without integrity, you have nothing in his world.

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

What about sporting integrity? Were you in favour of the ESL? Is this what has happened to our club now that we are Professional? This is my 180th post and never in any of my previous 179 have I ever criticized a QP manager, coach or player. Without integrity, you have nothing in his world.

We played eleven full-time pros against eleven part-timers. We weren't flinging the under 16s in. The team should have been good enough, but wasn't on the evening. 

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

What has us utilising our squad have to do with the European Super League???

That was our first of 4 games against the other top 5. If we continue to rotate the squad and give young players a chance in our next 3 games, is that not fair?

I played in a squad in my youth and giving youngsters and players who had been mainly or always on the bench the chance to play competitive games was not only good for the manager to see how they perform but also beneficial to the player. Some of these guys have sat there week in and week out and never had the opportunity to show what they can do in a competitive environment. They have trained nearly everyday and deserve the opportunity to play when we have the opportunity to do so. I agree we shouldn't be disrespectful to other teams but likewise you shouldn't be disrespectful to our squad players. Please allow them the opportunity to show why they are with our club.  Some of them might be playing for their future career.

I played in a squad in my youth and giving youngsters and players who had been mainly or always on the bench the chance to play competitive games was not only good for the manager to see how they perform but also beneficial to the player. Some of these guys have sat there week in and week out and never had the opportunity to show what they can do in a competitive environment. They have trained nearly everyday and deserve the opportunity to play when we have the opportunity to do so. I agree we shouldn't be disrespectful to other teams but likewise you shouldn't be disrespectful to our squad players. Please allow them the opportunity to show why they are with our club.  Some of them might be playing for their future career.
Spot on. I posted before the game that we shouldn't play a weakened team, but that I'd like to see three particular younger guys get game time in the final few games.
I do not believe we fielded a weakened team (as an86 said, we didn't bring in 8 guys from the youth sides) 2 of the three guys I named played, (one started one came on as an early sub) I fully expect the other to get a start this week. All the players in our squad on friday have been consistently part of our match day squads since the restart. Some have been rotated in and out regularly some have waited patiently for their opportunity. All (as far as I know) are part of our full time first team squad.
As others have stated we have not been unsporting in our team selection.
The only thing we are guilty of is not playing well enough to win the game (not taking anything away from the opposition who played well and deserved their win.)

Other teams have been resting their better players against us recently, presumably to save them for more winnable games, so I have no problems with Ray making so many changes.  It's the way it goes at this end of the season and managers do what they think is best. Queen's players would be going all-out to win; that's the important thing. It simply didn't work against Stranraer who also dropped who are probably their best two players, but were excellent.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

We deserved to lose. Stranraer were the much better team and could have been two up before they scored. To try and blame that on the changes is nonsense. McKinnon's been rotating the team constantly since the re-start. Grant and Murray also injured so he had no choice there anyway. Apart from Mullen and Biggar, everyone who started are experienced pros who have done the business for us this season. They'll know their performance on Friday wasn't good enough and judging by McKinnon's mood in the post-match interview he'll have told them as well.

I thought Mullen was looking pretty good before his injury. Cool, confident, came for crosses and made a cracking point-blank save. Unfortunately I can't say the same for Heraghty tbh. He obviously did not expect to get thrown on but he looked nervous and shakey. Just shows that he might be "one to watch for the future" but he's got a fair bit to go to play at this level yet and McKinnon was right to get another keeper in on loan as cover for Willie ( who will hopefully be back in tomorrow night)