Peterhead v Clyde

4 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Dont know what our budget is/was but given our location we probably have had to pay top dollar to attract players, we have tended to run with a smaller squad than many 18/20 players rather than some where they carry many more. We have a very small board as well who up to now have not had to hold their hands out for cash. We certainly under normal circumstances have a great facility which does very well on match days, unlike some we cant hire out our pitch. This last year cannot have help the clubs situation but would think the board will have it covered,.

Indeed.  Expenses play a big part in the budget at PFC.

IIRC we had guys travelling from the Dumfries area for a couple of seasons, and much of the reat of the squad are central belt.

So few managers have good, consistent records when it comes to sourcing players. Remember Ian McCall's first stint at Thistle: Rowson, Harkins, Murray, Hinchcliffe, Buchanan, Chaplain, Twaddle, McStay, Gray, Archibald, McKinlay, Tuffey, Paton, Maxwell, Storey, McKeown. All players who done a job in the old first division. They ended up finishing second to a very good St.Johnstone in 2009 as I remember. And got a draw against Rangers at Ibrox.

This time around, I think Thistle supporters would tell you McCall's not fared anything like as well. Although, to be sure, he's made one or two good ones; Tiffoney for instance. And this is all despite Thistle topping the league.

Roberts and Miller done well, though perhaps by necessity they had to keep some poorer players on the books. Reid was good with some notable extremes: Aaron Conway, Karim Kerkar. The latter being brought in through an agent friend if I remember rightly (Willie McKay)?

In Lennon's time at Cowdenbeath and St.Mirren he generally sourced good players it must be said. Moore too at Morton. And Jim Duffy had an eye for a defender, whatever else might be said about him.

Lately, only Stewart Petrie and John McGlynn have stood out to me for their sourcing. I can't remember any truly rotten players turning out for Montrose or Raith in recent past. Only decent or really quite good ones. It struck me the other day that Montrose and Raith have already moved to sign players from other clubs for next season. I'm not sure many other outfits have done that yet. Perhaps that supports the argument that they're doing something other clubs aren't.

I've no idea to what extent any of the managers mentioned and their sourcing records have to do with money, in all honesty. Danny's signed some gems and some shockers for Clyde; more the latter on balance. The real economics of our situation have to do with whether we could hope to source a better manager than Danny Lennon and, by extension, better players through a different manager. I don't fancy we could. And I think Danny and Allan are owed a failure or two, particularly given the circumstances of this season.

Edited by Clydeside
Added sentence.

12 hours ago, David W said:

Whilst we have undeniably improved, his record in the transfer market, regardless of budget, is atrocious. Here is the list of his other signings since 17-18.

Liam Allison
Jamie Bain
Karim Belmokhtar
Ross Cunningham
Eddie Ferns
Declan Fitzpatrick
Kieron Hughes
Chris Johnston
Adam Livingstone
Ross Lyon
Michael McGlinchey
Michael McMullin
Marky Munro
Alex Petkov
Lloyd Robertson
Scott Rumsby
Darren Smith
Matej Vajs
Tony Wallace
David Wilson
Gregg Wylde

Fans of other teams will look at this list and probably not even heard of half the players. 

I thought Johnston, Smith and to a lesser extent Wallace were all decent signings last summer based on how they had done in League 2 that year or in Smith's case for a few years. Just never happened in a Clyde jersey for any of them though. Latterly that campaign Wylde was disappointing too after coming from a decent pedigree. Never looked interested at all.

Allison and McMullin were very strange signings looking back. The fact we were crying out for a left back at the times and both of them still barely featured. As if he already knew they weren't good enough but still signed them anyway. 

Edited by C. Muir