Peterhead v Clyde

There's plenty of wasted budget on David W's list.

Perhaps the remaining budget was limited because two year deals were handed out following then euphoria of the promotion season. I can only assume these were a decision by Danny.

Also our failure to maximise the loan market is another massive negative against our manager. Most loan signings, and there's been plenty, fail to register any positive impact on team performance.

5 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Just to add that's was Jim's 400th game in charge today 

Some record; he's been there about four and a half years longer than the next longest tenured manager in Scotland. He's taken a bit of stick over the years but there's no denying he's done a terrific job getting Peterhead clear of relegation after losing Stevenson, Gibson, Hooper, McAllister, Fleming, Boyle over the last year or so.

No surprise which team he has most wins against.

Perhaps the remaining budget was limited because two year deals were handed out following then euphoria of the promotion season. I can only assume these were a decision by Danny.

Also our failure to maximise the loan market is another massive negative against our manager. Most loan signings, and there's been plenty, fail to register any positive impact on team performance.

Not denying that Lennon has made mistakes with his signings and handing out two year deals.

I don't think it's surprising that the majority of the players of David's list are from last and this season. I doubt Lennon would have brought in the likes of Allison or McMullin from last season or Munro or Robertson this season if he had the same budget as 17-19.

Loan signings, I think he's done OK up until this season where we have clearly had to go for quantity over quality.

17/18 Cogill, Boyle and Lamont.
18/19 Banks
19/20 Cunnigham, Livingstone and Lang
20/21 Otoo and Jamieson

Guest andyp1301
7 hours ago, haufdaft said:

So HD, what is the solution? We have a manager in your eyes who is wasteful with his budget and we have a Board who won't provide a decent budget....not a winning combination.

What would be your fix?

Guest andyp1301
12 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

F@(£ sake...Danny claiming "we shot ourselves in the arm" We need a shot in the arm but shot ourselves in the bleedin foot. We need a boot up the elbow, I mean ar$e, if we're to stop Danny, the team and the fans hurting.

I felt he gave Otoo an unnecessary name and shame while avoiding ANY criticism of Nicoll or Howie for directly causing 2 goals.  He didn't choose to raise our powder puff midfield nor our impotent front line.

Worried that we are at the end of the line!

He'll be getting offered a slot as a regular host on the podcast with mixed metaphor talent like that.

Guest andyp1301
8 hours ago, David W said:

I agree entirely with Haufdaft, whilst accepting our budget has varied greatly. Danny Lennon has done a terrific job. His ability to find and sign players in the transfer market is a major black mark.

Danny Lennon's first transfer window was undeniably a success. Love, Lang, Cogill, McStay, Grant. Boyle generally was an improvement on what we had, whilst he also retained Lamont on loan. Kyle Gourlay made mistakes in the couple of games he played but strengthened the goalkeeper position. We'll ignore Steven Kipre and Adam Martin; you'll never have a perfect window.

Since then, I would argue, we have signed a grand total of five players who would unanimously be considered as an improvement on that end of 17-18 squad:

Scott Banks

Craig Howie

David Mitchell

Kristoffer Syvertsen

John Rankin

One of those was a loan signing who was a substitute, but a very valuable one. One is a goalkeeper whose signing DL has himself said was predominately down to Chris Fahey. Syvertsen is always injured, frustratingly so. Rankin was signed from Off the Ball and then deployed in a deep midfield position (or left back?!) for 10-15 games before exploding in a free role. Craig Howie has been a decent League 1 player.

Whilst we have undeniably improved, his record in the transfer market, regardless of budget, is atrocious. Here is the list of his other signings since 17-18.

Liam Allison

Jamie Bain

Karim Belmokhtar

Ross Cunningham

Eddie Ferns

Declan Fitzpatrick

Kieron Hughes

Chris Johnston

Adam Livingstone

Ross Lyon

Michael McGlinchey

Michael McMullin

Marky Munro

Alex Petkov

Lloyd Robertson

Scott Rumsby

Darren Smith

Matej Vajs

Tony Wallace

David Wilson

Gregg Wylde

I couldn't be bothered including the loanees we've had this season. Some of that is squad filler but I don't think a single player in that list gets into the team we were putting out at the end of 17-18. Apart from Rumsby and at a push Livingstone/Cunningham, the rest have been a complete waste of whatever money they were paid.

I think David Mitchell sums things up perfectly. He is a clear upgrade on a decent goalkeeper in Currie. He might cut it for a Championship team at a push, but there's no denying he's a good player for this level. That's the sort of player I envisaged us adding window by window. Do we really need to pay outlandishly to attract players who are a good League 1 standard? In the four transfer windows since we got promoted, we really should have been able to find and sign at least a couple of players who are dropping down the levels and are solid players in L1.

Relax it's all good now DW....the Board will increase the budget by at least 50% for next year and Danny's recruitment record s now a moot point. We have had Graham Diamond and his team for nearly a year and I am confident they have a list of suitable targets to approach, negotiate with and sign to fit in with the ambitious title winning budget which will  make sure Danny has quality in every area of the pitch to work with next season.

Can't wait for next season, it might even be enjoyable again.

9 hours ago, David W said:

Some record; he's been there about four and a half years longer than the next longest tenured manager in Scotland. He's taken a bit of stick over the years but there's no denying he's done a terrific job getting Peterhead clear of relegation after losing Stevenson, Gibson, Hooper, McAllister, Fleming, Boyle over the last year or so.

No surprise which team he has most wins against.

Peterheads budget is ridiculous and they shouldn't be anywhere near relegation. McInally's done a pretty poor job there for me, they should be challenging top 4.

So HD, what is the solution? We have a manager in your eyes who is wasteful with his budget and we have a Board who won't provide a decent budget....not a winning combination.
What would be your fix?
I don't have a fix. I'm a supporter who only sees the outcome of management decisions. We pay professional football men to do the hard work and come up with solutions.

I'd hope that everyone at the club will review what has went wrong (and right) to make modifications to optimise the use of resources both on the financial side and the footballing side.

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Peterheads budget is ridiculous and they shouldn't be anywhere near relegation. McInally's done a pretty poor job there for me, they should be challenging top 4.

Is it? I had been told they had been affected disproportionately by Covid, especially given the money they take in from hospitality. I certainly don't look at their signings and see a team throwing cash about.

Guest andyp1301
25 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I don't have a fix. I'm a supporter who only sees the outcome of management decisions. We pay professional football men to do the hard work and come up with solutions.

I'd hope that everyone at the club will review what has went wrong (and right) to make modifications to optimise the use of resources both on the financial side and the footballing side.

Shame. It's a supporters owned Club don't forget. Are you an Owner? if so, then it's partly your responsibility to ensure we have the right people making those decisions. The professional football men? You must mean Danny and his team? They can only work with what they are given I suppose. Maybe it is the non professional football men who dictate budget and wages for players which in turn affects the professional football men's ability to perform?

If not an owner, maybe you should consider becoming one as apparently it is "our Club" and we can "have a major say in decision making".................sorry I had to stifle a laugh there.

12 minutes ago, David W said:

Is it? I had been told they had been affected disproportionately by Covid, especially given the money they take in from hospitality. I certainly don't look at their signings and see a team throwing cash about.

Only going by their previous accounts that were posted on here. Scott Brown knocked back Falkirk to stay there, Layne doubled his wage after leaving us (and we've had to get a sponsor to cover the fees for loaning him back), guys like Steven Boyd won't be cheap either.

Guest SJP79
55 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Only going by their previous accounts that were posted on here. Scott Brown knocked back Falkirk to stay there, Layne doubled his wage after leaving us (and we've had to get a sponsor to cover the fees for loaning him back), guys like Steven Boyd won't be cheap either.

How much was Layne on ?

Guest SJP79
7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't have exact figures but when I was told we tried to keep him he was doubling his wage with Peterhead. 

I think that was a poor choice considering how injury prone Layne was. 

Dont know what our budget is/was but given our location we probably have had to pay top dollar to attract players, we have tended to run with a smaller squad than many 18/20 players rather than some where they carry many more. We have a very small board as well who up to now have not had to hold their hands out for cash. We certainly under normal circumstances have a great facility which does very well on match days, unlike some we cant hire out our pitch. This last year cannot have help the clubs situation but would think the board will have it covered,.